Not open for further replies.
one of my friends said samuel wants 7 years, 35M
Of course, structure matters;

29M bonus, then 1M/year sucks for the pats

while 7 5's would not make AS happy

i think the pats would be crazy not to do something like

11, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6 to yield cap hits of

2.5, 3.5, 4.5, 5.5, 5.5, 6.5, and 7.5 for a #1 playmaking CB

Don't you mean 5 years 7 MM not 7 years 5MM??

I think the 35MM over 5 years is reasonable for both sides. the deal gets done or not base don how much give and take on both sides.
just don't know how good he really is and MOST important, how good will he become.

Will he improve each year or has he already played his best ball at the tender age of 25??
We

I think the 35MM over 5 years is reasonable for both sides.

That does make more sense. It would have his contract expiring at 30 not 29 which is a big difference for CBs but the money is much more in line.

The patriots would sign this in a heartbeat. I think Samuel will get more.

one of my friends said samuel wants 7 years, 35M
Of course, structure matters;

29M bonus, then 1M/year sucks for the pats

while 7 5's would not make AS happy

i think the pats would be crazy not to do something like

11, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6 to yield cap hits of

2.5, 3.5, 4.5, 5.5, 5.5, 6.5, and 7.5 for a #1 playmaking CB

I don't think they will franchise him. As Reiss has been saying for awhile now, if they give Asante the 7.9 Mil, that will be about 17 million between him and Brady, almost 10% of the total cap, which completely goes against the Pats theory of spreading money out to multiple players.

Also, they were willing to give Ty Law all that money because he was a leader, it was pre-dynasty (hadn't finished cleaning up the cap problems yet) and he was a true, lock down #1 corner. Asante had a bunch of interceptions, but I guarantee you Peyton Manning fears Law a lot more than Asante.

Last year Seymour an Brady combined for 19.9 million of the 98 million adjusted cap. If paying Seymor and Brady 20.6% of the total cap isn't going against the pats theory, then paying Seymour, Brady and Samuel 26.79 million or 24.5% of the cap isn't going against their theory either.

The Pats would STILL have 17 MORE players counting over 1 million against the cap, not including the 2 up coming 1st round picks who will also count over 1 million against the cap.

Reiss didn't do his homework well enough.

Another correction. Belichick and Pioli did NOT give Law is record contract. That was Bobby Grier. Belichick and Pioli offered Law a 4yr/26 million contract.

I've said that I would offer Samuel a 6yr/$40 MILLION contract with 10 million up front. But that would be the absolute MOST I'd offer him.

Yes. I have watched every game for several years. And I am not alone in that thought. He stepped it up this year. He's doing almost everything you can ask a #1 corner to do. He is fundamentally strong, and has an eye for the ball.

I have to respectfully disagree. Samueal is strong in some areas and not in others. He continues to be a lousy tackler. He has a hard time wrapping up for some reason. He's am amazing hitter and sometimes that is enough, but not against RBs and TEs.

I'm not saying he is a bad corner. I think they should pay him, but they shouldn't pay him top 3 money. He is still extremely succeptible (sp?) to the double move, even when he gives his patented 10 yards of cushion. He very well could have cost us the Chargers game when he got torched by Vincent Jackson (who is slow as hell!) on a double move, but Jackson couldn't get his second foot down. He has also had times that showed he is not a sure tackler (Mo Drew bouncing off a pathetic Asante tackle attempt). Lastly, why did we beat the Colts in 03 and the Rams in 01? Because Law mugged the crap out of the receivers. Asante just can't do that. He has great instincts for the ball and for breaking up plays, but he just doesn't bring everything to the table that I believe is required of a true #1 to be paid like one.

Sorry man, but Vincent Jackson isn't slow as hell as you put it. The guy runs a 4.46. While I agree about Samuel's tackling and being susceptible to the double move, don't go selling other players short. Jackson is going to have a break out year for the Chargers this coming season.

Do not see Samuel being here next year, this team is built in the trenches.. unless he accepts a long term "friendly" deal, I have learned to like him more, but not sure he is worth a big cap hit at the expense of having inadequate backups at another position. Paying him big time will upset the salary structure of this team, and goes against everything this team has done in the past 6 years. Can see franchise and trade as a possibility.

Last year Seymour an Brady combined for 19.9 million of the 98 million adjusted cap. If paying Seymor and Brady 20.6% of the total cap isn't going against the pats theory, then paying Seymour, Brady and Samuel 26.79 million or 24.5% of the cap isn't going against their theory either.

The Pats would STILL have 17 MORE players counting over 1 million against the cap, not including the 2 up coming 1st round picks who will also count over 1 million against the cap.

Reiss didn't do his homework well enough.

Another correction. Belichick and Pioli did NOT give Law is record contract. That was Bobby Grier. Belichick and Pioli offered Law a 4yr/26 million contract.

I've said that I would offer Samuel a 6yr/$40 MILLION contract with 10 million up front. But that would be the absolute MOST I'd offer him.

From the initial post on the thread, "It was a contract that B/P inherited from the previous administration granted, but they did honor it for the next four years because of Ty Laws monetary value fit within their respective Patriot values."

Bad comparison. Seymour and Brady are the best at thier positions. Samuel is good, but his isn't the best CB in the league. There is no other QB or DL I would rather have than Brady or Seymour. There are several CBs I'd rather have than Samuel. There are several that are flat out better than Samuel, and many more who would be better than Samuel if aided by the Pats DL instead of the non-existent pass rush on their currect team.

Anyway, just because the Pats are willing to use 20% of the cap for 2 players does not mean they are willing to pay 30% for 3 players, or 90 for 9 players.

It only means that they put high value on Brady and Seymour.

As they should.

I have to respectfully disagree. Samueal is strong in some areas and not in others. He continues to be a lousy tackler. He has a hard time wrapping up for some reason. He's am amazing hitter and sometimes that is enough, but not against RBs and TEs.

Deion Sanders was one of the worst tacklers in the history of the league. He was also the best corner ever. I'm not saying Asante doesn't need to improve. What I'm saying is that he's one of the top corners in the league, his coverage is amazing, and the team can't afford to lose him given their current options. He's still young, improving, and is a playmaker. He's a guy I want on my team.

Do not see Samuel being here next year, this team is built in the trenches.. unless he accepts a long term "friendly" deal, I have learned to like him more, but not sure he is worth a big cap hit at the expense of having inadequate backups at another position. Paying him big time will upset the salary structure of this team, and goes against everything this team has done in the past 6 years. Can see franchise and trade as a possibility.

Where are you getting that the Patriots would have to sacrifice good players and be forced to have inadequate back-ups at other positions?

Sorry, but so far no one has shown how paying Samuel $6.67 million a year (6 years/40 million including a $10 million bonus - my package idea) or even the franchise number of 7.79 million would upset the salary structure of this team and how it goes against everything this team has done over the past 6 years.

The Patriots currently have 59 players signed or considered tendered (ERFA/RFA) according to Miguel's pages. 3 of those players have exemptions as they are going to NFL Europe. That means the Pats have 56 players alotted out of potentially 88. That is 32 MORE players to sign. 10-12 will come from the draft and they will account for about 5.5 million in my guestimates. That leaves another 19 million for signing 20 players. I could EASILY see the Pats signing Samuels for 6-7 million AND still signing guys like Jarrett Johnson and others. And the Pats STILL having some 5-7 million in free cap space.

So, please explain how signing Samuel to a contract in the 6-7 million range throws everything out of whack?

Deion Sanders was one of the worst tacklers in the history of the league. He was also the best corner ever. I'm not saying Asante doesn't need to improve. What I'm saying is that he's one of the top corners in the league, his coverage is amazing, and the team can't afford to lose him given their current options. He's still young, improving, and is a playmaker. He's a guy I want on my team.

WOW. Deion Sanders was the best corner ever? Gotta disagree.

I gotta disagree with your assessment of Samuel's cover skills. He's ok in man to man coverage, but very good in ZONE coverage.

I am not saying that I don't want Samuel on the team, but not for $8-$9 million.

From the initial post on the thread, "It was a contract that B/P inherited from the previous administration granted, but they did honor it for the next four years because of Ty Laws monetary value fit within their respective Patriot values."

SamBamFan - I actually got to meet Sam Cunningham out at ESPN The Zone in Disneyland a couple years ago. He was there for Monday Night Football when the Pats played. Anyways.

I know you said that B/P inherited the contract. I was replying to Wdkantro2 who implied that B/P were the ones who gave Law the huge contract.

WOW. Deion Sanders was the best corner ever? Gotta disagree.

I gotta disagree with your assessment of Samuel's cover skills. He's ok in man to man coverage, but very good in ZONE coverage.

I am not saying that I don't want Samuel on the team, but not for $8-$9 million.

Disagree all you want but Deion was about as good as any Corner in terms of coverage. For the best COMPLETE corner ever -- In my book it's a pick em between Champ Bailey and Rod Woodson.

But if I want someone to blanket a WR all day - I'm taking Deion, every single time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes