PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The cost of feeding a family?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The cost of feeding a faimily?

scott99 said:
Seriusly, think about it, with 31 million dollars spread out over 50 more years of life (most likely), that's really only $620,000 a year to live on. Take out taxes and it's really only about $350,000 a year to live on. Plus he has to buy his bling, that's at least $100,000 a year. That leaves you with only $250,000 a year to live on, his agent get's a percentage, his women and children get a percentage, he needs his cars and flat screens. Really he's only going to have about $50,000 a year to play with. Tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Scott, you didn't even figure the interest the $$$ earns, but then I guess you have to pay someone to manage it, and then more taxes, and the expense of driving to meet with the accountant, etc.........

I was wondering if someone would give us the quote where he said he needed to feed his family. Haven't seen it yet. The people who are all over this quote are the same people who get their panties in a bunch when a journalist misquotes a Patriot. Then again, these same members will have forgotten all about that misquote when he halls in the winning td in the next Superbowl.

scout said:
I was wondering if someone would give us the quote where he said he needed to feed his family. Haven't seen it yet. The people who are all over this quote are the same people who get their panties in a bunch when a journalist misquotes a Patriot. Then again, these same members will have forgotten all about that misquote when he halls in the winning td in the next Superbowl.

from Tomase's article
“But I have a family to take care of for the rest of my life and that’s the most important thing in my life. I need to make sure I do what’s right by my family.

Thats close enough for me. What he cant take care of his family on $31 million? It's ridiculous that he's holding out.

dhamz said:
That is very tasteful seeing Deion's son needs 24 hour a day medical care for the rest of his life.

It is true that he does have a child with medical issues. I don't know if he willneed 24 hour care for the rest of his life.

That, to me, makes it ever stranger that he would turn down what most people in the media are calling a very fair offer. That kind of money can set his child up for a long time.

So, he is gambling that if he does not have a serious injury at the end of this year, he'll get really big money as a FA. That would not be the choice iwould amke if I had a child with medical needs.

But, that's him. I would have kept my mouth shut if I was him. But, I'm not him.

Willie55 said:

I say we start a canned food drive for him. Here's my contribution.

I'll step up with these (he's a football player so he needs his beef)

Last edited:

Pat_Nasty said:
Oh yes. He's very lucky he can play a game, instead of working hard. I mean, he's lucky enough not to work in an industry where he'll get hit, hard, for doing his job well. He's lucky enough not to work in an industry that demands he keep in tip-top physical condition. He's lucky to work in an industry where there isn't a very real chance that on any given day, his career could end with an injury. He's lucky he doesn't work in an industry where people have very short careers, are pretty much guaranteed to suffer from crippling arthritis and other sundry physical ailments for the rest of their significantly shortened life-spans afterwords.

I, for one, am sick of getting clobbered by a big, strong man in a helmet every time I "go over the middle" to the copy machine.
People in my family have arthritis and no one has insulted them with $19 million dollars for three years work. You make a good point about the chance of injury ending the season, especially where Deion Branch has been fragile, but if that is his concern, why not sign an extension that will give him upfront money now? Then if he gets hurt he still has a few million. And he wouldn't have arthritis!

Funny comparison with the copy machine, but think about that $19 for three years. Six million a year. What if you were offered six million dollars a year to go to the copymachine and your workyear consisted of 16 workdays? And each day you only went to the copy machine say 10 times and got hit by the big man. At an annual pay of 6 million dollars, that's about $37,500 per trip to the copy machine.

Would you be insulted at that offer?

I think we need to replace the word "family" with the word "ego"

NovaScotiaPatsFan said:
I think we need to replace the word "family" with the word "ego"

Classic. That is so right NSPF.

NSPF - Do you think Deion has gone through what you've gone through in the last year? Now that's making ends meet. I hope everything is working out for you.

When the common American is making $30,000 a year, there can be little sympathy for multi-millionares who go on strike for the extra million or two.

Deion Branch is in the midst of a PR campaign to repair his image. Expect him to call in the Radio talk shows, or go on the local news programs soon.

Not that I am defending Deion's hold out but he does have a son who has a medical condition that requires he live in a medical facility. If I remember correctly, Deion pays a significant, if not all, part of the cost of his son's medical care.

There was an article in either the Herald or the Globe last year. Unfortunately, I do not remember all the details. I do remember be struck by the fact that a large portion of his salary at the time went to his son's care. I do believe his son will require this medical care for the rest of his life. I really do wish I could remembe what his condition is.

Last edited:

scott99 said:
Seriusly, think about it, with 31 million dollars spread out over 50 more years of life (most likely), that's really only $620,000 a year to live on. Take out taxes and it's really only about $350,000 a year to live on. Plus he has to buy his bling, that's at least $100,000 a year. That leaves you with only $250,000 a year to live on, his agent get's a percentage, his women and children get a percentage, he needs his cars and flat screens. Really he's only going to have about $50,000 a year to play with. Tongue firmly planted in cheek.

The 31 million isn't gauranteed. And even if it was, take out half for taxes so you're looking at about 15-16 million. A lot of money to be sure, but I think a lot of people forget the richer you are the more crap you have and crap costs money.

If you buy a big house, you're going to get hammered with property taxes and upkeep and utility bills. You're going to need lawyers and accountants that cost money. You're going to have agents who want their cut. Throw in insurance costs (anyone ever get a quote on a $1,000,000 house?...it isn't pretty). Home owners association dues in those gated communties can be 10k a year.

And that doesn't even account for all of the "leaches" you're suddenly going to be dealing with...friends and family who you haven't seen in years that need an operation or have some kind of kooky business idea they want a loan for.

It all adds up.

Most people who suddenly become well moneyed don't have the self control not to buy this crap, particularly NFL players. I remember going to a Cowboys training camp years ago and seeing rookies you just knew were going to get cut riding around in a $75,000 Mercedes.

So I'm not so sure it's as simple as it sounds. We in the middle class see it as buy a few nice things and play it safe and invest the rest. They see it as a license to blow every cent they earn. That of course is not a team's problem and shouldn't be, but it is a fact nonetheless. The NFL has done a lot to counsel rookies on money management, but there is a long, long way to go.

Last edited:

Patti37 said:
Not that I am defending Deion's hold out but he does have a son who has a medical condition that requires he live in a medical facility. If I remember correctly, Deion pays a significant, if not all, part of the cost of his son's medical care.

There was an article in either the Herald or the Globe last year. Unfortunately, I do not remember all the details. I do remember be struck by the fact that a large portion of his salary at the time went to his son's care. I do believe his son will require this medical care for the rest of his life. I really do wish I could remembe what his condition is.
As I've posted before, all the more reason that he takes the best Patriot offer.

He wants to gamble that he will get through this season unjured and then hitting the big bucks. I would not do that if I have a child that needed medical attention.

I would take the best Patriot offer which has been deemed fair by most media people. Then I would be sure that child would have the medical care needed.

I think the path that he's on is being foolish and contrary to what he has said.

Last edited:

Patti37 said:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=39682

SoonerPatriot said:
The 31 million isn't gauranteed. And even if it was, take out half for taxes so you're looking at about 15-16 million. A lot of money to be sure, but I think a lot of people forget the richer you are the more crap you have and crap costs money.

If you buy a big house, you're going to get hammered with property taxes and upkeep and utility bills. You're going to need lawyers and accountants that cost money. You're going to have agents who want their cut. Throw in insurance costs (anyone ever get a quote on a $1,000,000 house?...it isn't pretty). Home owners association dues in those gated communties can be 10k a year.

And that doesn't even account for all of the "leaches" you're suddenly going to be dealing with...friends and family who you haven't seen in years that need an operation or have some kind of kooky business idea they want a loan for.

It all adds up.

Most people who suddenly become well moneyed don't have the self control not to buy this crap, particularly NFL players. I remember going to a Cowboys training camp years ago and seeing rookies you just knew were going to get cut riding around in a $75,000 Mercedes.

So I'm not so sure it's as simple as it sounds. We in the middle class see it as buy a few nice things and play it safe and invest the rest. They see it as a license to blow every cent they earn. That of course is not a team's problem and shouldn't be, but it is a fact nonetheless. The NFL has done a lot to counsel rookies on money management, but there is a long, long way to go.

The team shouldn't be responsible for their irresponsible ways.

And one player that is not like that is Tedy Bruschi. I remember when the leaches from the press were camped outside his house when he had his stroke. They showed his house, it was rather modest.

PATSNUTme said:
I would take the best Patriot offer which has been deemed fair by most media people. Then I would be sure that child would have the medical care needed.

I think the path that he's on is being foolish and contrary to what he has said.

Well if most in the media says something it must be true.

Feeding your family is one thing. He can feed his family on a lot less. But he never said that.

Taking care of your family is another. When all is said and done, Deion will be like the 10% of other Americans who make an average of, say, $400k over their working years.

I can't believe someone compared arthritis to Deion's situation.

I've been hammering Deion from day 1 on this board for not taking a very, very good offer, but all the criticism about his quote is ludicrous, unless you're willing to knock everyone who makes $400k for not giving it all away. After all, they can get by on less.

Even better, if you resent the athletes making this much money, stop buying tickets to the games. That will knock them down a notch. Donate instead to a worthy charity.

upstater1 said:
Feeding your family is one thing. He can feed his family on a lot less. But he never said that.

Taking care of your family is another. When all is said and done, Deion will be like the 10% of other Americans who make an average of, say, $400k over their working years.

I can't believe someone compared arthritis to Deion's situation.

I've been hammering Deion from day 1 on this board for not taking a very, very good offer, but all the criticism about his quote is ludicrous, unless you're willing to knock everyone who makes $400k for not giving it all away. After all, they can get by on less.

Even better, if you resent the athletes making this much money, stop buying tickets to the games. That will knock them down a notch. Donate instead to a worthy charity.

When Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy made the infamous "feed the family" speech, do you actually think they meant they were going to spend every cent on food? It means all the extras: the second house in Miami, the custom rims on the Escalade, the TV's in the back of the headrests.

Deion is being hammered here because HE IS UNDER CONTRACT and not showing up for work. And when the Pats made an offer, a fair one at that by all accounts, he didn't even make a counter offer.

People aren't going to knock others for making $400,000/year, as long as they show up for work, which is something Deion hasn't done this year.

dhamz said:
Well if most in the media says something it must be true.

The point is that the local media love to report how "cheap" the Patriots are and that they are always 'lowballing" the players.

So, when they report that the offer to Branch is "fair" that must mean something.

Wouldn't you agree?

Last edited by a moderator:

PATSNUTme said:
The point is that the local media love to report how "cheap" the Patriots are and that they are always 'lowballing" the players.

So, when they report that the offer to Branch is "fair" that must mean something.

Wouldn't you agree?

I think the local media and in particular the one's who cover football know almost nothing about the NFL. Their opinion means nothing in either direction.

I don't think the Pats lowballed Deion. I don't think they made him a great offer either. I don't think he has anything to gain by holding out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back