PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The cost of feeding a family?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I am getting concerned about the ever rising cost of feeding a family.

Both Ty Law and now Branch have raised my awareness about this issue.

I'm afraid that someday a group of rock stars will have to get together and sing "We are the World" for us.

So, I'm asking, what do you think it will cost to feed a family?

Last edited:
Re: The cost of feeding a faimily?

Most of us feed our families on much less so the only explanation I can think of is that they are just really, really bad at budgeting. They don't need a bigger contract, they just need to take a class in money management.

Do we know how big these families are??? Might be bigger than you think...

Seriusly, think about it, with 31 million dollars spread out over 50 more years of life (most likely), that's really only $620,000 a year to live on. Take out taxes and it's really only about $350,000 a year to live on. Plus he has to buy his bling, that's at least $100,000 a year. That leaves you with only $250,000 a year to live on, his agent get's a percentage, his women and children get a percentage, he needs his cars and flat screens. Really he's only going to have about $50,000 a year to play with. Tongue firmly planted in cheek.

I was going to post a poll with this thread, but I had a business call, and when I got back to it (the thread poll) , I got the following f'ing message:

"You must post your poll within 5 mins of submitting the thread".

Hell, I can't type my name in 5 mins. Change the rules!!!!

So, this thread is only 1/2 as lame as I intended.

Last edited:

I thought I was doing good providing for my family, but obviously not :(

I have since told my boss I am not coming to work until I get a raise that will allow me to take care of my family!! :)

TNPatsFan said:
Most of us feed our families on much less so the only explanation I can think of is that they are just really, really bad at budgeting. They don't need a bigger contract, they just need to take a class in money management.

I help tenants in local authority housing deal with their rent arrears, get benefits and help with budgeting. I am happy to help out in this case. Having so much money can only make it more difficult to budget. Poor things.

PATSNUTme said:
I am getting concerned about the ever rising cost of feeding a family.

Both Ty Law and now Branch have raised my awareness about this issue.

I'm afraid that someday a group of rock stars will have to get together and sing "We are the World" for us.

So, I'm asking, what do you think it will cost to feed a family?

Pate fois gras, truffles and caviar cost a load of money these days. Also, have you seen the price of a decent Bordeaux? :eek:

Give Branch a break. He didn't say he needed to feed his family. he said this is for the future welfare of his family.

$6 million.

Buy a house for $1.5 million. Invest $4 million. Well invested, you should expect to be able to draw 3-4% p.a. while keeping the capital intact. Gives you an annual income of $120,000-$160,000. Have $500,000 for bits and pieces -- cars, college tuition.

If you have $6 million you are set up for life by any reasonable standards. Of course, if you want to buy a New York penthouse you may need more ...

Hi everyone, been watching this forum for months, just thought I'd chime in finally. I enjoy the perspectives from the various posters and the information I learn by following most of the threads. Thank you !!

ok, enough smoozing. DB said something in that interview that brought a new perspective on the " gotta feed the family " line. He added the comment " for life " at the end of the statement, very good PR !

Most of us have to work everyday for most of our lives to make ends meet. Good professional athletes have the ability to gain finanical security before their 30, the best get it in the beginning. But most of them have a limited time to gain it, age and injury effect the amount of time. Even though I hate the money thing with sports and entertainment, WAY TOO MUCH, which is our fault, we pay the prices their asking. I think I better understand the stance he's taking on this.

Also, it's understood, their impression of how much they need and most of our perspectives on how much someone needs will never sync up !

Very excited about this year, even without Branch !!

upstater1 said:
Give Branch a break. He didn't say he needed to feed his family. he said this is for the future welfare of his family.
Frankly this "family" issue is pure BS and totally insulting to many many people. welfare = in this case LUXURIES!! I think the Patriot's offer would take care of his family's welfare fine.. But this crock of having to take care of his family is pure BS... unless you wish to have Hummers, and houses on each coast and other non-necessities. TOTALLY insulting to many poor and working class people..who try and stretch things to make ends meet. And this clown is complaining that a 6 million offer is NOT enough?? He should be SO lucky he is getting paid to play a game and NOT part of the many who have to work HARD.

Deion Branch happens to do something better than 99.99% of the people in this country -- catch footballs. Because of people like us, who are so interested in watching people do this, catching footballs is an essential part of a multi-billion dollar industry.

Thus, people who are good at catching footballs are often in a position to get paid enough so that, whereas they were very poor growing up in Louisville, KY, their children and their children's children will be set for life.

Instead of hoping that they will be good enough at catching footballs to get a free college education, they will be able to go to any college they're smart enough to get into, and do whatever they want with their lives.

I, for one, will never judge a man harshly if this is more important to him than helping the team he is catching footballs for win a trophy, even if that trophy is very shiny, and even if people like you and me get very excited when the team we like wins the trophy.

upstater1 said:
yeah, the kids are gonna need braces and, um... iced-out bling, ferrari's, a super sweet 16 party that's off the hook, and 24's on their whips.

Pats726 said:
Frankly this "family" issue is pure BS and totally insulting to many many people. welfare = in this case LUXURIES!! I think the Patriot's offer would take care of his family's welfare fine.. But this crock of having to take care of his family is pure BS... unless you wish to have Hummers, and houses on each coast and other non-necessities. TOTALLY insulting to many poor and working class people..who try and stretch things to make ends meet. And this clown is complaining that a 6 million offer is NOT enough?? He should be SO lucky he is getting paid to play a game and NOT part of the many who have to work HARD.

Oh yes. He's very lucky he can play a game, instead of working hard. I mean, he's lucky enough not to work in an industry where he'll get hit, hard, for doing his job well. He's lucky enough not to work in an industry that demands he keep in tip-top physical condition. He's lucky to work in an industry where there isn't a very real chance that on any given day, his career could end with an injury. He's lucky he doesn't work in an industry where people have very short careers, are pretty much guaranteed to suffer from crippling arthritis and other sundry physical ailments for the rest of their significantly shortened life-spans afterwords.

I, for one, am sick of getting clobbered by a big, strong man in a helmet every time I "go over the middle" to the copy machine.

I think you're missing the point of this thread.

TNPatsFan said:
I think you're missing the point of this thread.

It's possible.

What *is* the point of the thread?

I say we start a canned food drive for him. Here's my contribution.

originally posted by Pat_Nasty
I, for one, will never judge a man harshly if this is more important to him than helping the team he is catching footballs for win a trophy

Yes because he has such harsh working conditions where he doesn't make enough money to support his family. When I think of Deion Branch I often harken back to the immigrants that came to this country at the turn of the century. Those special order rims for his Cadillac Escalade and his second house in Hawaii are just like what our forefathers had.

Oh, and one more thing: HE'S UNDER CONTRACT!

upstater1 said:

How dare you point that out.

PatsWorldChamps said:
yeah, the kids are gonna need braces and, um... iced-out bling, ferrari's, a super sweet 16 party that's off the hook, and 24's on their whips.

That is very tasteful seeing Deion's son needs 24 hour a day medical care for the rest of his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back