PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Conversation: Curran and Jonathan Kraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kids used to get away with a lot more because Dad's were away at work and Mom's were popping pills and oblivious to it all (j/k).

I think a reason I'd rather keep my kids close by us that I don't want them drinking beer, smoking pot, jumping off cliffs, almost drowning, getting into street fights, etc. way way way before the proper time to do all these things. i should have died 3 or 4 times.

It's just an offhand comment, but yeah I can't imagine Belichick commenting that an opposing player is on the trading block (as a way of diminishing that player's value). How would BB feel if the same was done to the Patriots? Say someone said, you know the Patriots offered us Maroney for a 7th rounder, but we laughed at them!!

Not that they employ it that often, but do you get what plausable deniability is?? Bill has it in his arsenal. He doesn't have to say a damn thing... In the hypothetical case you cited Bill would probably say if asked, no one talked to me. In fact I think he's played that card once or twice...when it suits him. He simply prefers as the HC not to criticize specific players in public even when he's so mad at them he can hardly see straight... If Jonathan came out in the heat of the moment and said some derrogetory things about a player, Bill would probably sigh and make a note to ask him to try to maintian his dignity going forward. This is different. This is history. And nobody said Asante was crap, just that he wanted more than we valued him at and the team who paid him has since apparently expressed some buyers remorse based on that price. It's not the gulag some mediots make it out to be. When criticized as cheap Bill tends to debunk those comments too. I recall his stating after the 2006 season that "not to take anything away from the player" but the coaching staff had spent a lot of time working on Asante's development into a player who was in position to make 10 picks... To me that translated as he's a talented kid but he's also a good fit in this system...

And nobody said Asante was crap, just that he wanted more than we valued him at and the team who paid him has since apparently expressed some buyers remorse based on that price. It's not the gulag some mediots make it out to be. When criticized as cheap Bill tends to debunk those comments too. I recall his stating after the 2006 season that "not to take anything away from the player" but the coaching staff had spent a lot of time working on Asante's development into a player who was in position to make 10 picks... To me that translated as he's a talented kid but he's also a good fit in this system...

IIRC when JK was on with Felger a few months back and those two were going at it over spending, cap, keeping Asante, etc. JK said, (paraphrasing), "We spend $$ on players who make plays, look at Asante's peformance in the Super Bowl and you have your answer regarding our thought process..."

Now, Jonathan does tend to get emotional and animated when challenged on various positions the team's takes, so I'm not going to jump to conclusions on how he really feels as I think his comment eminated from the fan inside him. With that said, I highly doubt the team makes personnel decisions based on one game, but to get an open admission from JK on HIS personal view of Asante's worth was very interesting.

Last edited:
IIRC when JK was on with Felger a few months back and those two were going at it over spending, cap, keeping Asante, etc. JK said, (paraphrasing), "We spend $$ on players who make plays, look at Asante's peformance in the Super Bowl and you have your answer regarding our thought process..."

Jonathan does tend to get emotional and animated when challenged on various positions the team's takes. I highly doubt the team makes personnel decisions on one game, but to get an open admission from JK on HIS personal view of Asante's worth was very interesting.

Jonathan is a little more combative than pops, but god love him his patience and goood humor when he's on with Felger...I'd cold **** the little prick for pushing his ignorance fueled agenda at my family's or organizations expense. He's lucky anyone talks to him, but that's the nature of the Boston sports media in the Comcast era.

Jonathan is a little more combative than pops, but god love him his patience and goood humor when he's on with Felger...I'd cold **** the little prick for pushing his ignorance fueled agenda at my family's or organizations expense. He's lucky anyone talks to him, but that's the nature of the Boston sports media in the Comcast era.

My sentiments exactly. I listened to Felgie yesterday for the 1st time in months. Unlistenable. He and that squirt Maz. Total negative spin on every single move and position. Were he to say, Here's the downside at CB as I see it...Here's the risks at DE as I see it, " and then follow up with anything, something positive other than "They have Brady" then it would be tolerable. But no.

My sentiments exactly. I listened to Felgie yesterday for the 1st time in months. Unlistenable. He and that squirt Maz. Total negative spin on every single move and position. Were he to say, Here's the downside at CB as I see it...Here's the risks at DE as I see it, " and then follow up with anything, something positive other than "They have Brady" then it would be tolerable. But no.

Agreed 100%., PWP. I long for the days of Willie McDonough and Sports Final....

Dating myself now. Need to be careful!

Nice piece, thanks!

Last edited:
Samuel sucks! He sucked when he was here and he sucks in Philly. The only people that seem think he is good are the people that judge CB's by Int's. Give me the two young guys, at least we can find out what they are, because we already know what Asante is and that is a degenerate gambler that costs his team far more than he helps.

If you thought Samuel sucked hearing what you think of Hobbs or Deltha O'Neil would be pretty funny...;)

Negativity sells in Boston, people don't react, respond, or listen to constant praise. They react when they hear negative things about their favorite teams/players/coaches. When they react ratings go up. That's why Felger, D and C etc. etc. will continue to dominate Massachusetts airwaves for years to come.

Negativity sells in Boston, people don't react, respond, or listen to constant praise. They react when they hear negative things about their favorite teams/players/coaches. When they react ratings go up. That's why Felger, D and C etc. etc. will continue to dominate Massachusetts airwaves for years to come.
Firstly, it's a great interview...and great that its posted.
DandC may dominate in the AM..given the competition or lack of it..I used to listen to Mikeand Mike and while it was ESPN...they at least talked sports. Felger dominated the afternoon?? I doubt that..really smug and smarmy Felger could dominate ever...Like many on here..I can only listen in 5-10 minute segments if that before he shows what an idiot he is or says some outrageous thing that is dumb and wrong..and Mazz?? What a twerp...Can't stomach them..

So, after lauding our management yesterday for not talking and playing the media game, one of the honchos comes out and says that, one, Mankins' agent is lying to him, and two, he reveals for the world to hear that another NFL team was trying to trade one of its biggest players.

Thanks Jonathan for making BB's job harder.

Not sure which interview you watched, but Jonathan Kraft did not say that Mankins' agent was lying to Mankins. Kraft speculated that someone was giving Mankins misinformation since neither Robert nor himself has talked to Mankins about his contract.

All that does is say "Hey, How could we have lied to him about this if we've never talked to him about it?"

As for Kraft commenting on Samuel, considering the shots Samuel took at the Pats, I have no issue with Jonathan saying what he did. It doesn't affect the Patriots and it was something that was already common knowledge.

It's just an offhand comment, but yeah I can't imagine Belichick commenting that an opposing player is on the trading block (as a way of diminishing that player's value). How would BB feel if the same was done to the Patriots? Say someone said, you know the Patriots offered us Maroney for a 7th rounder, but we laughed at them!!

There's a huge difference between commenting on a player like Asante who got 9 mill a year when he walked away from the Pats and signed with the Eagles than there is commenting on Maroney, who is still a part of the team.

What Kraft said was that they didn't believe that Samiel's value was that high and it would seem that the Eagles regretted paying him that since he was on the trading block in the off-season. It's a plausible hypothesis.

Kraft was trying to use the media to send a message to Mankins in this very 'conversation', so the notion that the Patriots don't play the media game is absurd. My guess is that the message will be ignored by Mankins. It's not as if he's going to hear Kraft's comments and go "Man, I hadn't thought of that...."

Kraft was trying to use the media to send a message to Mankins in this very 'conversation', so the notion that the Patriots don't play the media game is absurd. My guess is that the message will be ignored by Mankins. It's not as if he's going to hear Kraft's comments and go "Man, I hadn't thought of that...."

The Krafts don't play the standard media game. They're more circumspect as evidenced by their infrequent comments on this issue. Kraft was sending a message. Mankins' receiver is probably broken. Expect to see him by week 10 to get his year in on the way to UFA status and a 3rd round comp pick for the Pats. Nobody wants to trade for a guard that costs $8M per year.

The Krafts don't play the standard media game. They're more circumspect as evidenced by their infrequent comments on this issue. Kraft was sending a message. Mankins' receiver is probably broken. Expect to see him by week 10 to get his year in on the way to UFA status and a 3rd round comp pick for the Pats. Nobody wants to trade for a guard that costs $8M per year.

Agreed that they don't play the media game on contracts but as I'm sure you've read, when guys like Moss, Law, Asante et al say that they team doesn't pay, that type of rhetoric gets under their skin and they seem quick to refute.

Agreed that they don't play the media game on contracts but as I'm sure you've read, when guys like Moss, Law, Asante et al say that they team doesn't pay, that type of rhetoric gets under their skin and they seem quick to refute.

Quick is not the word I'd use.

Belichick doesn't generally play the media game. The Krafts, on the other hand, play the media game just as most everyone else does.

Quick is not the word I'd use.

Prior to 2008, no. Last year or so, absolutely.

Moss popped off on Feb 19th.

Kraft refuted Feb 23rd.

Seems pretty quick to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back