PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The concussion conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's why I favor the "hey, same rules... but you injure someone you sit. You injure him forever, you sit forever" rule

yeah..but that opens another can of worms...Ray Lewis hits running back Scrubbini NoTalent in the second half of a close playoff game...Scrubbini flops and they carry him off the field with the foam box on his head...Lewis is OUT for the rest of the game...they lose and NoTalent plays in the AFC championship game instead of a Ray Lewis...

first, who WANTS to see that?...no matter what your team affiliation is

second....how can anyone determine the true nature of an injury that quickly?

I see your point and it'd work...IF...there weren't Sal Alosi's and Rex Ryans running around all over the league trying anything to win at all costs.I mean, think about it...Bilal Powell would become the most famous scrub flopper in NFL history within a few weeks...

What about taking pharmaceuticals out of the equation? I'll bet if this received proper emphasis, linemen would be back down to 260-280 lbs. max, linebackers would be back down to 225-240 lbs., etc., etc. Even with the most scientifically applied NATURAL dietary supplements and weight training, I highly doubt that many players can hold 310 lbs-plus without drugs, which now seems "standard" among linemen. Pressure to compete and succeed drives players to extremes like this.

I always thought Ted Johnson was one unfortunate example of a pharmaceutically enhanced body. He suffered some tell-tale connective tissue injuries (I believe he blew biceps tendons in both arms). He had no neck. Sure, he probably suffered too many concussions, but I'll bet his post-football problems go beyond that.

Like I suggested, I think the league might be looking in the wrong place to preserve the game and its players.

The league has tried to look in that direction but the NFLPA is intent on persuing a different course. It's been ten months since the owners held firm to their demand for blood as well as urine testing, but the union has done nothing but stonewall on the methodology ever since. The NFLPA is more focused on defending the accused than protecting the rank and file from being pressured to compete with and against them. Bigger, faster, stronger players drive the market up and command more $$$.

The league has tried to look in that direction but the NFLPA is intent on persuing a different course. It's been ten months since the owners held firm to their demand for blood as well as urine testing, but the union has done nothing but stonewall on the methodology ever since. The NFLPA is more focused on defending the accused than protecting the rank and file from being pressured to compete with and against them. Bigger, faster, stronger players drive the market up and command more $$$.

Thanks for the info on that, Mo. To me, this is the crux of the problem. It's not a matter of changing the rules or improving helmets/equipment. It's saving the players from themselves by strictly banning their access to PEDs. Linemen should not be 330 pounds, linebackers should not be 270 pounds running a 4.5 40. It's just crazy. Hell, look at how much Matt Light has shrunk already. I wonder what sort of pharmaceutical ****tail he was pumped on, especially considering the wasting effect of Crohn's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back