PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The complete bust known as Matt Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The complete bust known as Matt Cassell

Please evaluate the run game and the snapping. Seriously, the OL did not eprform well. But, then most of their players were back home.

I agree OL play was ATROCIOUS.......Mankins plain out sucKed....got his fat a## beat just like he did in the SB.....The rest were just awful.....This is an area that BB needed to address more in FA and didn't.....this and the secondary are our big weaknesses again this year.......

You guys have been listening to the announcers too much. Cassel was what, 6-10? He threw one really bad ball (his first pass, should have been a pick), and other than that he was pretty much on target. His last 2 passes were perfect throws that were dropped (in fact, his other incompletion might have been a drop too).

There's no excuse for that first throw, but O'Connell came in and did the exact same thing on his first snap. Yet there's no outcry here to cut him. :rolleyes:

I'd certainly like to see him looking off his primary receiver more, as he really seems to lock in on one guy each play, but I thought he played pretty decently overall. I think he's a pretty accurate thrower who really made one mistake last night. And we're just KILLING him out here. Wow.

there is no outcry on Okee because he is a rook and gets a pass.......Cassel has been here 4 years and looks WORSE than the rookie or the 2nd year guy.......Please don't sugar coat it.....Cassel sucked AGAIN last night and needs to go......

I think that you are all daft.

Cassel si doing ther dirty work that BB has given him to do. He is testing O line candidates and theh end of roster receivers. Most are faiing and making him look bad in the process. But only a Coach like Beleichick who is somewhat comfortable with hsi backup would do that.

Cassell proved that when he had first sdtringreceivers dor a series hecna pass. he showeed that whebn the team runs to the left thye move the ball.

He also showed that without them the scrub recievers and Yates can't play. That is the true test that Belichick assigned to Cassell and he is performinfg admirably.

How many runs over Yates did they attempt for no yards, only to face 3rd and long attempting to play catch with the likes of CJax? That Cassel survived ithe amazing thing.

I agree with what your saying, but for the love of GOD spellcheck. It read better when I changed it over to Dutch.

Cassel has not developed into a very good QB, but your post is just hater talk. Cassel throws quick passes in the face of blitzes against a decimated line ("protective biobubble"?????) and he is a punk. Griese takes "dink and dunk" to a whole new dimension and the Pats should trade for the guy.

When did Cassel look confused? He tried to force the ball to Moss, but if that was cause for termination Brady would have been gone last year. How effective would you look with RBs fumbling just outside the red zone, shotgun snaps that a 6'5" QB barely got a finger on, blitzing safeties taking up residence in the backfield and Pollard/Evans acting like the ball was on fire?

Cassel should be cut if Gutierrez is healthy and doesn't suffer a sophomore slump. Both Gutierrez and O'Connell show more field presence than Cassel. You really don't need to pile on at this point.

"Cassel should be cut if Gutierrez is healthy"

You sir are a genius!!! This is what should, and I believe WILL happen......There is no way BB is cutting Gutz....Time for Cassel to catch the train......

The best example was the play where he didn't like what he saw, so he audibled.

The defense then shifted a bit in response and he looked completely befuddled. It's possible that not everyone on our team caught the audible... not really sure. All I know is that there was total confusion before the ball was snapped.... only half the players actually reacted and the play ended up being a false start.

He didn't look sure of himself all night. I don't think the play calling helped his cause though. It's possible that the playcalling was just bad for other reasons (than just to help him)... because in the end, it didn't help him at all. The TB defense seemed to know it would be a run on first and second and a screen or short slant on 3rd down.

I know these games don't count, but shouldn't we be play calling as we would in a normal game so we can see how these players could perform rather than nearly 2 quarters of run, run, pass, punt????

Good post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like Gutz but you guys should read MoeLewisRocks' posts. Gutz, my man, has been as bad and possibly worse than Cassel in training camp. Although I'm not as positive on Cassel as Moe I have seen NOTHING from Gutz from attending camp or the 1st game that warrants ANY optimism regarding his future as an NFL QB. I was rooting for him as our #2 but reality has intruded.

I agree with Zolak on EEI in that we do not have a #2 QB. I do NOT agree with the superficial fans here who think that some waiver wire vet with 'name recognition' will be able to pick up the Patriots complex sight adjusted offense and become a serviceable backup without having spent a full training camp learning the O.

I like Gutz but you guys should read MoeLewisRocks' posts. Gutz, my man, has been as bad and possibly worse than Cassel in training camp. Although I'm not as positive on Cassel as Moe I have seen NOTHING from Gutz from attending camp or the 1st game that warrants ANY optimism regarding his future as an NFL QB. I was rooting for him as our #2 but reality has intruded.

I agree with Zolak on EEI in that we do not have a #2 QB. I do NOT agree with the superficial fans here who think that some waiver wire vet with 'name recognition' will be able to pick up the Patriots complex sight adjusted offense and become a serviceable backup without having spent a full training camp learning the O.

Full TC or not, picking up a waiver wire vet is exactly what they made need to do in the end. And I doubt that, if it becomes necessary, BB will make any moves until after the preseason.

What do you mean by "sight-adjusted offense?" That the QB makes decisions based on reads?

Last edited:
[/b]

Full TC or not, picking up a waiver wire vet is exactly what they made need to do in the end. And I doubt that, if it becomes necessary, BB will make any moves until after the preseason.

PWP: They may NEED to but the response of picking a reject vet will be ineffective because said reject will have missed the necessary learning experience of training camp..

What do you mean by "sight-adjusted offense?" That they make formation or play adjustments based on reads?

Uh, yuh.

The QB reads the D and calls out the blitz assignments for blockers which MAY include WRs too. The WRs are supposed to 'read blitz' and certain coverages and then alter their routes accordingly per a rather complex decision tree based upon the defensive alignmet they face. This is one reason a Donald Hayes or Chad Jackson has such problems producing consistently in a Patriots offense.

Last edited:
Uh, yuh.

The QB reads the D and calls out the blitz assignments for blockers which MAY include WRs too. The WRs are supposed to 'read blitz' and certain coverages and then alter their routes accordingly per a rather complex decision tree based upon the defensive alignmet they face. This is one reason a Donald Hayes or Chad Jackson has such problems producing consistently in a Patriots offense.

uh, yuh...what exactly does this have to do with the QB's ability to initially read blitzes? I guess no other offenses in the league employ a "complex" blitz read/route adjustment system.

Re: The complete bust known as Matt Cassell

I don't think the OL was terrible today, slow decision making by QB's make OL's appear to be that way. Cassel, Gutz and O'Connell are all very young and "immature" from a QB prespective, don't get too excited it's only pre-season.

Wrongo. The OL was fine on the left side and poor on the right side. Billy Yates is playing himself off the team. There were many attempts to run behind Yates, purposely, to see if he could move anybody. The answer is No. Nor does he stop the pass rush, and when he is successful, he is merely slowly pushed into the QB. By contrast Wellbourne was pancaking his opposition on pass plays.

As soon as Wellbourne replaced him the rushing ot the right side started going for yardage. In addition the pressure from Buccaneers left side simply STOPPED. Welbourne becomes the starting RG; Mark my words.

So one problem is solved.

Now the much smaller problem of who is the fifth and sixth wide receiver looks to me like neither CJax and CJ Jones can do it. Ventrone is simply looking for a spot on the PS, and doesn't count; but seems the most reliable of the three.

Washington and Aiken have already earned jobs at WR, without getting on the field. If they can even hobble, as these two certainly don't look like they are worth a bucket of warm spit.

For the second game Guyton played about three quarters, and didn't look too bad. He is earning a job. I think he is already ahead of Hobson, Alexander and Izzo. The Pats have found three or four LBs this offseason. Woods has developed, Crable wil be a player n a few years, and Mayo is a rsing star. Meanwhile the UDFA of the 2008 is clearly Gary Guyton.

Vince Redd made several poor plays in the time he was in, including losing contain on a big run wide. A candidate for PS at best.

Connolly might want to hide after the bad shotgun snap but of all the young O linemen he looks to have the best shot and is a developing talent at backup G.

Last edited:
Oh, this should be fun.

I still think everyone is getting a little too far ahead of themselves. He's played two solid games, which is great. But who knows if he can go a whole season playing low-mistake football? Not to be negative or anything, but you still can't totally bash the author of this topic for his comments. Give it a little time, and see what develops.

I still think everyone is getting a little too far ahead of themselves. He's played two solid games, which is great. But who knows if he can go a whole season playing low-mistake football? Not to be negative or anything, but you still can't totally bash the author of this topic for his comments. Give it a little time, and see what develops.

What are you talking about Cassel is the best passer since Sammy Baugh. If you don't believe it, get out.

Oh no not again.

The only way this topic would be deader would be if it included Chad Jackson and Spygate.

How about we play a team that will win more than 7 games this year eh?

If it were the Colts you guys would be laughing at the Indy fans for thinking that Sorgi was great by beating KC and the Jets

Grow up

How about we play a team that will win more than 7 games this year eh?

If it were the Colts you guys would be laughing at the Indy fans for thinking that Sorgi was great by beating KC and the Jets

Grow up

Whatever you say, Debbie Downer. You always got the Phillies.

"Cassel should be cut if Gutierrez is healthy"

You sir are a genius!!! This is what should, and I believe WILL happen......There is no way BB is cutting Gutz....Time for Cassel to catch the train......

You nailed that one to a T. :banned:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey