PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The complete bust known as Matt Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that you are all daft.

Cassel si doing ther dirty work that BB has given him to do. He is testing O line candidates and theh end of roster receivers. Most are faiing and making him look bad in the process. But only a Coach like Beleichick who is somewhat comfortable with hsi backup would do that.

Cassell proved that when he had first sdtringreceivers dor a series hecna pass. he showeed that whebn the team runs to the left thye move the ball.

He also showed that without them the scrub recievers and Yates can't play. That is the true test that Belichick assigned to Cassell and he is performinfg admirably.

How many runs over Yates did they attempt for no yards, only to face 3rd and long attempting to play catch with the likes of CJax? That Cassel survived ithe amazing thing.

When did Cassel look confused?

The entire time he was in there. Were we watching the same game?

Cassel should be cut if Gutierrez is healthy and doesn't suffer a sophomore slump. Both Gutierrez and O'Connell show more field presence than Cassel. You really don't need to pile on at this point.

You are correct here. Point taken.

It's also easier to appear to show field presence when you're not being asked to run the offense as scripted, which is the case with O'Connell. He's being allowed though not encouraged to see what he can make happen. Last night he regressed a bit making a series of poor decisions though only one led to an INT. Cassel made one poor decision. Gutz made a bunch last week and played like a guy struggling to make something happen so as not to lose his roster spot. This week he didn't play at all because he got himself hurt in the process - possibly in more ways than one.

Let me explain what I mean by "field presence". We all see the field view from above (either from the stands or on TV). It is really easy to criticize a bad throw because we can see the defensive alignment and movement from that angle. Now try to do the same thing from an endzone view behind the QB. Big difference.

I think successful QBs have a mental radar that allows them to process the overall defense at the snap and post-snap as if they have that overhead view. You see their body, feet and head react as they are receiving information beyond just what their eyes are showing them.

Cassel does a lot of things well, but doesn't seem to have the "presence" to instinctively know where all the chess pieces are on the field. Gutierrez and O'Connell seem to have a better feel for this, but that is based on a small sample size so take that with a grain of salt.

Also, this mental radar is not foolproof. Remember Brady throwing a pick to Donnie Edwards in the 2006 playoffs? I don't believe Edwards moved a step before or after the snap and Brady put the ball right between his numbers. Brady obviously wasn't watching him and expected him to move after the snap. Very similar to Cassel's first throw last night or the Jason Taylor pick-6 last year. Cassel seems to have more of these moments than a 4th year QB should.

He was awful, the INT he threw was more than pathetic, he hit the LB right in the numbers.

Seriously, Cassel is out of football once the Pats cut him.

It's also easier to appear to show field presence when you're not being asked to run the offense as scripted, which is the case with O'Connell. He's being allowed though not encouraged to see what he can make happen. Last night he regressed a bit making a series of poor decisions though only one led to an INT. Cassel made one poor decision. Gutz made a bunch last week and played like a guy struggling to make something happen so as not to lose his roster spot. This week he didn't play at all because he got himself hurt in the process - possibly in more ways than one.

I'm not buying it. I'm willing to say that the scripted playcalling may have been a factor, but there is no way that Cassell's complete lack of field presence can be explained away.

With him in there, the entire team played flat. The TB defense was cued to the run or short pass. The lines were stacked when we ran and our receivers were getting slammed right after the catch and sometimes as they attempted to make the catch. Cassel wasn't decisive at all.

There's a stupid saying: "You can't steal second base with your foot on first" As much as I hate that saying, it pretty much sums up what I say from Cassel last night. Too lost or afraid to pose any danger and overthinking everything.

I'm very happy to see that not everyone was buying everything the announcers were selling. First pass aside Cassel did absolutely nothing wrong last night. At this point I'm really not sure what some people are expecting out of him.

WR screens are regularly called early with Brady in there, but because it's Cassel it's apparently a sign of dumbing down the playcalling. The announcers blamed him for not moving the team down the field after Kevin Faulk fumbled; Marshall Faulk said you can't blame the bad snap on Cassel, then went ahead and did exactly that.

They were clearly working on the running game on early downs, and as a result it wasn't until the 2nd quarter that he got to pass on a down that wasn't 3rd down. Not surprisingly, the first time he got to thrown on 1st down they started moving the ball.

He had a really nice 1:13 drive to end the 1st half. His two passes in the 2nd half were on target, and both were dropped. After the first pass I'd venture to suggest he was as blameless as any player could be last night.

I'm not buying it. I'm willing to say that the scripted playcalling may have been a factor, but there is no way that Cassell's complete lack of field presence can be explained away.

With him in there, the entire team played flat. The TB defense was cued to the run or short pass. The lines were stacked when we ran and our receivers were getting slammed right after the catch and sometimes as they attempted to make the catch. Cassel wasn't decisive at all.

There's a stupid saying: "You can't steal second base with your foot on first" As much as I hate that saying, it pretty much sums up what I say from Cassel last night. Too lost or afraid to pose any danger and overthinking everything.

It was 10 minutes into the game before he even got on the field. They were playing plenty flat before he came along.

Sure, I was just curious what you saw that screamed "confusion" to you?

The best example was the play where he didn't like what he saw, so he audibled.

The defense then shifted a bit in response and he looked completely befuddled. It's possible that not everyone on our team caught the audible... not really sure. All I know is that there was total confusion before the ball was snapped.... only half the players actually reacted and the play ended up being a false start.

He didn't look sure of himself all night. I don't think the play calling helped his cause though. It's possible that the playcalling was just bad for other reasons (than just to help him)... because in the end, it didn't help him at all. The TB defense seemed to know it would be a run on first and second and a screen or short slant on 3rd down.

I know these games don't count, but shouldn't we be play calling as we would in a normal game so we can see how these players could perform rather than nearly 2 quarters of run, run, pass, punt????

Last edited:
Okay, since we can all agree now that Matt Cassel is a complete bust, what do we do about a QB?

I think O'Connell will be the guys sooner than later, but not this season. We need the "John Friesz" type to come in and backup.

Cassel is just SO friggin' horrible! How did he ever get to this level? He's like the kid who slides all the way through school never learning how to read or write!

What were his coaches doing at every level when they didn't notice how horrible he is?

I mean pre-season is the time when backups shine (i.e.: the king of the pre-season Michael Bishop!). Cassel just looks so confused out there!

Weren't you one of the ones touting Rohan Davey?

Sorry, a 7th round pick, by definition, can not be a bust.

As for "how horrible he is" Cassel was good enough to put Leinhart and Palmer for the starting jobs at USC.

Though Cassel isn't playing well, this is another one of your classic over-reactions.

I know these games don't count, but shouldn't we be play calling as we would in a normal game so we can see how these players could perform rather than nearly 2 quarters of run, run, pass, punt????
No, definitely not. Most of the players are new to the system, some are rookies and many others will be at home when the season starts. The intent is to have simple formations that test a player's ability to execute. 'Normal game plans' are complex schemes based on the coaches studying tendencies and players keying on specific opposing players' weaknesses. How in heck can you do that when you (a) your opponent is substituting players left and right and (b) you're doing the same.

Let idiots like Mangini call plays like the regular season, to the extent of going for overtime in the preseason. Overtime!!?!! That's right! Thankfully, the Pats have a savvy coaching staff that knows the purpose is to get a few snaps for the vets and otherwise evaluate the bubble players.

Pre-season is not about the play calling. It's about the players.

There should be something BB can pull off the scrap heap by way of a veteran once the rosters are trimmed down in the next few weeks.

By all accounts his play has been about like everyone else's in TC... Brady throws picks there too - it's the nature of the beast. Gutierrez play has been a lot worse and he seems to be the one feeling pressured (and it shows). He may be experiencing a sophomore slump and still be salvagable via the PS. But Cassel clearly hasn't been challenged for the #2 spot despite legions of fans wanting that to be the case. O'Connell is playing like a rookie - same as Cassel and Gutz did their rookie season. Flashes of interesting stuff and lots of oops decisionmaking.

I'd keep him over Gutz and a veteran who is not available and has no grasp of the system, and I believe Bill will too. He cuts guys at the position (reluctantly) who play like Rohan Davey - but even then only if he has a veteran and a promising developmental player in camp and ALREADY ON THE ROSTER.

We might be reading different reports... I'm getting mine from the daily reports in the Patriots Football weekly (since thrown away... so I'll have to go off memory)... where they stated that Cassel was having a tough camp. He was the named player in the "whos cold" section two times and was mentioned in the "play of the day" section when he threw a terrible pass that Sam Aiken had to jump backwards and basically intercept the DB on... Sam Aiken was obviously the play of the day... while Cassel poor play was again highlighted. I was not at the camp practices... but I have found the Patriots Football weekly to be a pretty good source of camp battles, player development and news.

Brady... as always... is mentioned as shining. Yes, everyone does make mistakes.... my contention is that Matt Cassel has made an AWFUL lot of mistakes in his first two preseason games. Further, I believe (from what I have read) that he has not had a good camp.

My comments on O'Connell were in direct reponse (as quoted) to a prior post asking why folks were calling for Cassel to be cut but not O'Connell. O'Connell... as I stated... is playing like a rookie... BUT HE IS A ROOKIE... Cassel is on year 4.

We'll see what BB does... like I said, if he keeps him... then I'll be on board with it... but I don't think that he keeps him. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion... but I think that Cassel is gone before we get into the regular season.

Personally I feel that Cassel is good as gone by the end of preseason. He has shown little growth and improvement the past four years. O'Connell for what its worth has potential. He can run with the ball that's for sure. Once he gets over the rookie mistakes he's got potential. But we'll see how it goes.

It's like any other backup in any other position; if he cannot step in for the starter and at least hold his own he should go. Cassel has shown no sign of being able to win NFL games and I cannot imagine any team taking him if he is cut. After four years there is not much chance of 'development'. The policy seems to be that if Brady gets badly injured we write the season off. I don't think that is a good idea given that we could win the division with a 10-6 record and even a dull, solid backup could achieve that given the talent on the team.

Guys - I'm not saying Cassell will lead us to a Super Bowl or even the playoffs if Brady is injured - but aren't you over-reacting to a 6-10 performance last night that included 3 dropped passes?

If those passes had been caught he'd be 9-10. Would you be as critical of him had those passes not been dropped? Or is this maybe a slight over-reaction?

I have been anticipating that Cassel would be a solid NFL QB since he was drafted. His first appearances seemed to go reasonably well. However ...

There are some things that a QB learns over time with experience. There are other things in fundamental abilities that probably never get much better.

From my perspective, I have now come to feel that Cassel has a couple fatal flaws that mean he has no chance to be an NFL QB.

First is an apparent tunnel-vision where he doesn't see a 'rich' view of an area of the field. Last night's game had a solid example of this where he focussed in on his receiver crossing into the middle of the field and apparently had no visual clue of the defenders in the area. He led his receiver but the defender really didn't move hardly at all in his zone area and Cassel's throw hit the defender in the numbers.

Second is what seems to me to be a lock-in on one receiver - where he seems to have his head and eyes on the receiver for a long interval, if not even from the start of the play. This is fatal. Defenders will read him like a book.

Third - I have seen no evidence that he makes even two reads much less the more than two that solid NFL QBs have to make.

Like the old saying - 'you can't teach speed' - I rather think that you can't teach the abilities to see a 'rich' view of the field or have the scan capability to make multiple reads.

The Pats have kept a fatally flawed QB before for an extra year (Rohan Davey) so they may keep Cassel for another year anyway. But to my way of looking at it, he couldn't operate the Pats offense with any success at all.

The fact that Cassel is still on the team at all means he wasn't a bust. He was a successful seventh round pick because he was the #2 QB for three years.

That said, the experiment is over. He seems to have regressed beyond the point of any real usefulness.
I think he has been the backup for two hasn't he? Wasn't flutes/testaverde on the team 3 years ago? Anyways.....Cassel is still on the team....BECAUSE Brady has never gone down injured....If he did....and Matt had to come into the game....he would have been gone LONG ago...because the kid does not have it....Maybe Arena.....not NFL....

Ever think of the reason they didn't play Guiterez(sp)? Maybe they are satsified with what he can do and figured to give Cassel another shot to claim a spot. Cassel is gone next season anyhow so he might be the odd guy out. It just makes too much sense at this point.

Ding ding ding....we have a winner....That is correct...I see Gutz as the #2 QB this season...which I am comfortable with.....He has shown great poise in there and can get it done.....Cassel is a bust.......and okee will be the project guy and ride the pine at #3 this year.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back