PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The complete bust known as Matt Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Bledsoe will come out of retirement. Or they can bring Michael Bishop back.

Re: The complete bust known as Matt Cassell

Is Cassel really that bad, or is the OL just flat out horrible. Of everything that has gone wrong tonight, the performance of the OL was just plain miserable!!!!!!

I don't think the OL was terrible today, slow decision making by QB's make OL's appear to be that way. Cassel, Gutz and O'Connell are all very young and "immature" from a QB prespective, don't get too excited it's only pre-season.

I don't think Matt has started a game since highschool. Belichick must see something in him at practices.

I don't think Matt has started a game since highschool. Belichick must see something in him at practices.
he throws alot of picks in practice to

Last edited:
I think it's clear now he's not good enough to be a reliable back up. O'Connell looked a million miles more assured at QB. INT's happen, if you throw one hey, even the best do sometimes but the fundementals have to be there and Cassel looks behind in terms of ability and prescence. Cassel was clearly rattled last night.

Nothing against the kid, he's just not good enough.

Is Cassel really that bad, or is the OL just flat out horrible. Of everything that has gone wrong tonight, the performance of the OL was just plain miserable!!!!!!

Kopen and the the right side of the OL gave us nothing in the first half tonight. Yates is worthless on a good day and God knows, he has not seen many good days in a Patriots uniform. Through three quarters we have what, 24 yards rushing?

Given how pathetic the OL play was tonight, I doubt Brady could have done much better tonight.

I think BB needs to work heavily with the defense on tackling and especially getting off blocks, but until we get healthy bodies back on the OL, we are going to play poorly. Not even Brady can throw on every play.

Yup... The O-line is picking up where it left off in February. I think that's the biggest reason Bradey hasn't played in the pre-season. The Ravens and the Buc D-lines dominated our O-line.

Maybe Bledsoe will come out of retirement. Or they can bring Michael Bishop back.
Where's Bubby Brister when you need him?

Maybe we can find a spot for Troy, now.

Last edited:

Please evaluate the run game and the snapping. Seriously, the OL did not eprform well. But, then most of their players were back home.

I don't think the OL was terrible today, slow decision making by QB's make OL's appear to be that way. Cassel, Gutz and O'Connell are all very young and "immature" from a QB prespective, don't get too excited it's only pre-season.

Wasn't he a seventh rounder? How can he be a bust?

Took the words out of my mouth. Not a bust... to me, it's just unfortunate.... I think that he worked hard, tried his best, and just couldn't get it done.

It is what it is.... I just think that we are concerned about the Jets or Bills signing him immead. on his release just to have a coach pick his brains for two weeks.

He may not get cut until the deadline.... at least then someone has to take him from waivers and give up a roster spot for him..... then again, they could just sign him as a consultant if he clears waivers (which i am thinking he would..... there is a reason they call him Mangenius, however).

You guys have been listening to the announcers too much. Cassel was what, 6-10? He threw one really bad ball (his first pass, should have been a pick), and other than that he was pretty much on target. His last 2 passes were perfect throws that were dropped (in fact, his other incompletion might have been a drop too).

There's no excuse for that first throw, but O'Connell came in and did the exact same thing on his first snap. Yet there's no outcry here to cut him. :rolleyes:

I'd certainly like to see him looking off his primary receiver more, as he really seems to lock in on one guy each play, but I thought he played pretty decently overall. I think he's a pretty accurate thrower who really made one mistake last night. And we're just KILLING him out here. Wow.

You guys have been listening to the announcers too much. Cassel was what, 6-10? He threw one really bad ball (his first pass, should have been a pick), and other than that he was pretty much on target. His last 2 passes were perfect throws that were dropped (in fact, his other incompletion might have been a drop too).

There's no excuse for that first throw, but O'Connell came in and did the exact same thing on his first snap. Yet there's no outcry here to cut him. :rolleyes:

I'd certainly like to see him looking off his primary receiver more, as he really seems to lock in on one guy each play, but I thought he played pretty decently overall. I think he's a pretty accurate thrower who really made one mistake last night. And we're just KILLING him out here. Wow.

Dude:

O'Connell is a rookie. Cassel has been in the system (backup or third QB) for three full years... he is in his fourth year now. You really feel like he's our best option as a backup QB? You'd keep him over Gutierrez (or a veteran backup) right now?

The stat line looks okay... but the play was poor. By all reports, his play at camp has been poor, too (A LOT of interceptions thrown... A LOT of bad balls). From what I know of him (what we all know of him), he seems like a pretty good guy... but c'mon, now.... fourth year, those kind of mistakes... you think that's ok with BB and the rest of the coaching staff? You think that the rest of the team feels comfortable with Cassel coming in if Brady misses some time (in a game or in the season)?

I expect a lot more from guys that have been in the league for a second over rookies. As stated before, in BB I trust (when it comes to Pats football)... if he says Cassel is the guy... then he's the guy... and I'll support that. I DOUBT that he will have Cassel be the guy, don't you?

I do get a kick out of all the angst caused by a 7th round, all-pro clipboard holder, though. What do we truly know about him? He's not good enough to beat out Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, or Tom Brady (nothing shameful about any of that), and the Patriot staff sees enough in him to have kept him out the roster for 3+years (no shame in any of that, either).

I think the angst is caused by knowing that if Brady went down, he is (was?) first in line to start.

Seriously, doesn any team in the NFL have a worse backup QB (#2) in this entire league. He is horrible.

Forget about beating out Palmer, Leinart, or Brady.... he won't even beat out Gutierez and O'Connell.

I think he's a pretty accurate thrower who really made one mistake last night. And we're just KILLING him out here. Wow.

The play calling was geared to predictable runs and dinks and dunks to try to build his confidence... that is why the stats look better than his atrocious play.

From a play calling perspective, they did everything short of putting him in a protective biobubble out there and he still couldn't get it done.

He didn't look like an NFL QB out there. He was confused and ineffective. O'Connell looked far and away better. It wasn't even close. I've seen enough of Matt Cassel.

Dude:

O'Connell is a rookie. Cassel has been in the system (backup or third QB) for three full years... he is in his fourth year now. You really feel like he's our best option as a backup QB? You'd keep him over Gutierrez (or a veteran backup) right now?

The stat line looks okay... but the play was poor. By all reports, his play at camp has been poor, too (A LOT of interceptions thrown... A LOT of bad balls). From what I know of him (what we all know of him), he seems like a pretty good guy... but c'mon, now.... fourth year, those kind of mistakes... you think that's ok with BB and the rest of the coaching staff? You think that the rest of the team feels comfortable with Cassel coming in if Brady misses some time (in a game or in the season)?

I expect a lot more from guys that have been in the league for a second over rookies. As stated before, in BB I trust (when it comes to Pats football)... if he says Cassel is the guy... then he's the guy... and I'll support that. I DOUBT that he will have Cassel be the guy, don't you?

By all accounts his play has been about like everyone else's in TC... Brady throws picks there too - it's the nature of the beast. Gutierrez play has been a lot worse and he seems to be the one feeling pressured (and it shows). He may be experiencing a sophomore slump and still be salvagable via the PS. But Cassel clearly hasn't been challenged for the #2 spot despite legions of fans wanting that to be the case. O'Connell is playing like a rookie - same as Cassel and Gutz did their rookie season. Flashes of interesting stuff and lots of oops decisionmaking.

I'd keep him over Gutz and a veteran who is not available and has no grasp of the system, and I believe Bill will too. He cuts guys at the position (reluctantly) who play like Rohan Davey - but even then only if he has a veteran and a promising developmental player in camp and ALREADY ON THE ROSTER.

The play calling was geared to predictable runs and dinks and dunks to try to build his confidence... that is why the stats look better than his atrocious play.

From a play calling perspective, they did everything short of putting him in a protective biobubble out there and he still couldn't get it done.

He didn't look like an NFL QB out there. He was confused and ineffective. O'Connell looked far and away better. It wasn't even close. I've seen enough of Matt Cassel.

You really should avoid listening to the NFLN crew. Parroting their moronic misunderstanding of anything Bill does just makes you dumber. The play calling was geared to predictable runs to test Maroney and that OLine's runblocking (whick is again failing) and to give Moss and Welker some shots at knocking off any rust and finally toward finding any kind of rhythm when seemingly inexplicably overmatched on a given evening which is something even Brady has had to do at times in his career...

Ill go on record now as saying that cassel stays number 2. Im not saying im impressed with him at the moment, but you guys cant seriously think that o'connell looked better last night. He was holding onto the ball so long, I couldve sacked him.lol. As someone else mentioned, Cassell threw a couple of good passes that were dropped by dependable recievers.
All i'm saying is that alot of guys looked bad last night. Let's relax, and watch the next two games.

Cassel has not developed into a very good QB, but your post is just hater talk. Cassel throws quick passes in the face of blitzes against a decimated line ("protective biobubble"?????) and he is a punk. Griese takes "dink and dunk" to a whole new dimension and the Pats should trade for the guy.

When did Cassel look confused? He tried to force the ball to Moss, but if that was cause for termination Brady would have been gone last year. How effective would you look with RBs fumbling just outside the red zone, shotgun snaps that a 6'5" QB barely got a finger on, blitzing safeties taking up residence in the backfield and Pollard/Evans acting like the ball was on fire?

Cassel should be cut if Gutierrez is healthy and doesn't suffer a sophomore slump. Both Gutierrez and O'Connell show more field presence than Cassel. You really don't need to pile on at this point.

Aside from his first pass that would've been a pick...am I the only one that thought Cassel looked OK?? He found Welker and Moss with regularity on the ensuing drive. It's not like we're asking him to be Tom Brady. If he can hook up w Welker and Moss 6 out of 8 times or whatever he was on that drive, that's fine by me. I'm not looking for style points.

Cassel has not developed into a very good QB, but your post is just hater talk. Cassel throws quick passes in the face of blitzes against a decimated line ("protective biobubble"?????) and he is a punk. Griese takes "dink and dunk" to a whole new dimension and the Pats should trade for the guy.

When did Cassel look confused? He tried to force the ball to Moss, but if that was cause for termination Brady would have been gone last year. How effective would you look with RBs fumbling just outside the red zone, shotgun snaps that a 6'5" QB barely got a finger on, blitzing safeties taking up residence in the backfield and Pollard/Evans acting like the ball was on fire?

Cassel should be cut if Gutierrez is healthy and doesn't suffer a sophomore slump. Both Gutierrez and O'Connell show more field presence than Cassel. You really don't need to pile on at this point.

It's also easier to appear to show field presence when you're not being asked to run the offense as scripted, which is the case with O'Connell. He's being allowed though not encouraged to see what he can make happen. Last night he regressed a bit making a series of poor decisions though only one led to an INT. Cassel made one poor decision. Gutz made a bunch last week and played like a guy struggling to make something happen so as not to lose his roster spot. This week he didn't play at all because he got himself hurt in the process - possibly in more ways than one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes