PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Colts were in Belichick's head

Status
Not open for further replies.

letekro

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Now we are criticizing BB for CONSIDERING THE OPPONENT IN HIS GAMEPLAN, a gameplan that produced a win on the road against the defending SB Champs who had won 12 in a row, and 13 in a row at home?
Are you kidding me?
The gameplan was PERFECT, because we won. End of story.

Leaving Light and Kaczur one on one with Freeney and Mathis all day caused several drive killing sacks and numerous hurried throws. Of course, this "plan" worked better after those guys tired out, but I don't think the gameplan was: Let's have Freeney and Mathis beat our tackles like rented mules until they tire out.

Our defense and great individual efforts by Moss, Brady and Welker won this game. We won in spite of the offensive game plan, not because of it.

Now we are criticizing BB for CONSIDERING THE OPPONENT IN HIS GAMEPLAN, a gameplan that produced a win on the road against the defending SB Champs who had won 12 in a row, and 13 in a row at home?
Are you kidding me?

Leaving Light and Kaczur one on one with Freeney and Mathis all day caused several drive killing sacks and numerous hurried throws. Of course, this "plan" worked better after those guys tired out, but I don't think the gameplan was: Let's have Freeney and Mathis beat our tackles like rented mules until they tire out.

Our defense and great individual efforts by Moss, Brady and Welker won this game. We won in spite of the offensive game plan, not because of it.

The Patriots decided to take on the Colts yesterday with a game lan that was more 2005 than 2007. In my opinion, they didn't play to their strengths until the last 8-10 minutes of the fourth quarter. Their game plan enabled Indy to leverage its speed on defense.

Finally when things got desperate the Pats opened up the offense and started playing like Patriots version 2007.

I think the Colts were, to a certain extent, in Belichick's head. The result was a game plan that was too conservative.

Hopefully Belichick has the monkey off his back now.

i think we were playing like we were going to see them again. I think we held back on the game plan, as to not show them everything. We are setting them up for the playoffs

In the post game presser BB said :
We went to a no-huddle and tried to pick up the pace a little bit. We felt like that if we could get into a little quicker tempo, it seemed like that slowing the game down earlier in the game was not working to our advantage.

I think the game-plan was pretty well thought out, basically "dont get into a shoot-out, make sure we are fresh in the 2nd half, we dont want a repeat of last year". I would have love to see them air the ball out as well, but thats the one thing the Colts defense is make to stop, because you need a lot of blocking and to beat the deep safeties to do so.

So I think BB & staff was trying to create a decent matchup, but I think if you asked him even BB would admit the gameplan wasnt awesome. Especially considering all week they were talking about how the game would come down to execution, and this wasnt an "out-game-plan" you week.

i think we were playing like we were going to see them again. I think we held back on the game plan, as to not show them everything. We are setting them up for the playoffs

I'm not buying that. The Pats knew how important this game was, as a win meant they wouldn't have to go to that house of horrors in January. The OP was correct. Short passes and 5-man protections play to the colts strength. Where was the max protection and the deep ball all day?

also, speaking of being too conservative..... remember the long bomb to Stallworth when he was running a deep route on the left and Brady had booted out to the right? That was a gutsy call, a gutsy pass by Brady, and Stallworth couldnt pull it down, OR more importantly stop Bethea from picking it off.

I think plays like that is why we looked so different this week

Last edited:
also, speaking of being too conservative..... remember the long bomb to Stallworth when he was running a deep route on the left and Brady had booted out to the right? That was a gutsy call, a gutsy pass by Brady, and Stallworth couldnt pull it down, OR more importantly stop Bethea from picking it off.

I think plays like that is why we looked so different this week

That play was better suited for Moss. Perplexing play calls all game.

very true, but... how many of Brady's passes were thrown to Moss? I know its over-stating it but it felt like 70%

but Stallworth does have some good speed, so that call isnt totally crazy. But the key is the QB/WR trust. When Brady throws that he trust that worst case scenario Stallworth will make sure the DB doesnt get it, even if he has to take an offensive pass interference call

The Patriots decided to take on the Colts yesterday with a game lan that was more 2005 than 2007. In my opinion, they didn't play to their strengths until the last 8-10 minutes of the fourth quarter. Their game plan enabled Indy to leverage its speed on defense.

Finally when things got desperate the Pats opened up the offense and started playing like Patriots version 2007.

I think the Colts were, to a certain extent, in Belichick's head. The result was a game plan that was too conservative.

Hopefully Belichick has the monkey off his back now.

I couldn't agree with you more. For some reason they decided to slow down their offense and go with more ball control conservative approach. BB actually made a reference to it in his press conf last night. I felt that I was watching last years team for awhile.

I do not agree that it was all part of their master plan and this was not an important win. You don't give a team a 10 point lead and expect to come back and win.

In the end, it was good to see them open up the offense and score at will. If they played like that all game, we would have seen the 14+ point win we were all hoping for......

very true, but... how many of Brady's passes were thrown to Moss? I know its over-stating it but it felt like 70%

I think that is less due to play calling and more due to play salvaging, by Brady. Credit Indy's D for that. Brady was forced to be out of sorts and Moss is a pefect target under such circumstances.

I couldn't agree with you more. For some reason they decided to slow down their offense and go with more ball control conservative approach. BB actually made a reference to it in his press conf last night. I felt that I was watching last years team for awhile.

I do not agree that it was all part of their master plan and this was not an important win. You don't give a team a 10 point lead and expect to come back and win.

In the end, it was good to see them open up the offense and score at will. If they played like that all game, we would have seen the 14+ point win we were all hoping for......

i have to disagree actually. They didnt play like 2005 OR 2007. in the past the pats have always gone out to control the game fast with a no huddle offense like in the AFCCG in 2003. they have actually always been aggressive in the past with the colts early in the game like the 4th and 7 call last yr. this game they went away from that approach partly due to colts scheme and partly due to their gameplan which i think they realized wasnt working.

Are you kidding me?

BB didn't let Brady get sacked on the first play of the game. BB didn't wait for the deep ball, allowing a CB to get in front of him and pick it off. Why is it so hard to say that offensive players were failing to do their job?

Besides, can you blame him for wanting to avoid an early shootout? The last time they played the Colts the defense was dead in the 4th quarter.

Brady referred to the Colts doing some things they hadn't expected. Being innovative doesn't necessarily equate to being "in Belichick's head", but after the Pats figured it out, seemed they got it going well enough...to win.

I think BB would be he firsat to tell you the game plan was far from perfect.

I think BB would be he firsat to tell you the game plan was far from perfect.

Great argument. You are right and I am wrong because you can read BBs mind and I cant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes