Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Colts loss last year still hurts me...

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by upstater1, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

so I can't expect I'll ever let this one go.

Sorry. This will hurt really for ever. Seau was right. They are part of ever.

Want proof?

Early in the game on the Giants first drive, we saw Plaxico run right into a Patriot defender 5-10 yards downfield, knock him on his butt, and make an easy catch.

Did I say unfair, they should have thrown a flag? NO.

I said they threw a goddamn flag on Troy Brown late in the second half of the AFCCG and prevented the Patriots from going up 28-3!!

It kills me!

So how am I supposed to get over the Super Bowl?
  2. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The Colts loss is history - I'm over that for the fact that we came back in '07, beat the Colts in Indy and then won the AFC Championship.

The only way to get over this loss is win the Super Bowl again.
  3. PatriotWarrior

PatriotWarrior Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

i know sometimes I wonder if the Colts were in this superbowl instead. The refs would of been throw flag happy all game long if somebody were to touch a colt. We all know how much influence Polian has in the competition committee and we still shouldnt underestimate how much influence he could still have in this game. but no matter what and how much we say how much influence he has i must be wrong and am a bad loser. whatever.
  4. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

Ugh, and now Phil Simms thinks they should have challenged the Pierre Woods non-fumble recovery.
  5. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

The point I'm making is that I prefer games to be called the way Sunday's was. The Giants beat the Patriots fairly and squarely.

What happened last year, though, is a disgrace, and this game simply proved it because the refs called the same exact plays correctly.
  6. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

ahh, wut can we do...

ive watched the clip of watson gettng molested in the endzone where the giants get a PI call....u watch it too...

it clearly shows watson getting hit b4 the ball was anywhere near, and yet the official right NEXT to watson just blue the whistle, and was about to call it incomplete...no flag no nothing....it was pathetic...

but thats what we get for having such a great team...
  7. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

LOL, I didn't see that.

Truthfully, I can't figure out what refs are responsible for what. Maybe it wasn't his responsibility?
  8. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

i did...i saw the same thing over and over and over again...the ref was hesitating to make the call, and throw the flag....and at the end he didnt, some other ref did it....

also, for this loss to go away, as long with last yr's loss....read my sig...that will make everything better for me...everything
  9. Marko

Marko Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I saw it and said the exact same thing!!!!!!! Just expecting some consistency by the NFL, pretty stupid!
  10. Harry Yelreh

Harry Yelreh Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I once heard a boxer who was 20-1 say that the one fight he remembered most was the one loss. Shelby Foote, the Civil War historian, even said that that's why many in the South - especially those who tend to have a proud military tradition - will never get over that war: the memory of losing. People tend to remember the pain of defeat more than the pleasure of victory.

Barry Switzer said his most memorable game was when his Sooners were #1 in 1978 with what was arguably his best team - and they fumbled 9 times in a 17-14 loss at Nebraska, including a fumble by their Heisman winner after an incredible run to the 3-yard line in the waning minutes. It was the only loss of Switzer's career in a game decided by three points or less.

Of all of Bear Bryant's teams, all that domination, the one he felt that was probably his best was his 1973 team. They outscored teams by an average of 41-8 in the regular season ... and then went to their bowl game and lost the national title to Notre Dame by a score of 24-23. Bear never got over it.

Jimmy Johnson said after the Sugar Bowl that he thought he had the best college team of all time in 1986, and we all know what happened in the Fiesta Bowl.

I know this Super Bowl is different from all of those because of the shot at 19-0. But the point is: that the Pats are so consistently at or near the top and competing in such games and putting themselves in such historic positions is a sign of their dominance. You can't win them all, and the higher the stakes, the harder the loss. It's just the way it is. This one will always sting, but like Brady says about football: you have to forget about your last play, good or bad, and move on. Same with games and seasons. This season is over, but Belichick and the guys can use it as a motivating factor to move on in their quest to keep playing for and win championships.

As far as refs and plays and flags that happened or shouldn't have happened and that are beyond the players' control: That's part of the game. Always has been, always will be.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  11. dc_colts_fan

dc_colts_fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You guys who are still not over it will have to win the SB to get over it.

I didn't get over the Colts AFCCG loss in freaking 1996 to Pittsburgh (again, some spotty officiating) until we won the SB in 2006.
  12. SoCal Pmen

SoCal Pmen Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#54 Jersey

Agree with you. It will take a Superbowl win to get over this one. Its very similar to the '86 and '03 Red Sox teams that were forgiven after they finally won it in '04. Going undefeated would have been amazing but at the end of the day Superbowls are what matters most.
  13. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Pardon me if this sounds negative, but we can't take for granted that this team will win any more championships with Belichick & Brady. I fell into that trap this year, even though I said the same thing after the Indy loss. Sure, we'll probably be "in the hunt" - but where has that gotten us the last 3 years? If this loss isn't an eye-opener to a fundamental problem with the team then I don't know what would be. Call it complacency, entitlement, arrogance, overconfidence, whatever - this team has fallen to teams that obviously wanted it more than they did. This team is the gold standard without having any of the "gold" to show for it lately. And it's not like one other team has risen to the top of the NFL, we've seen 3 champs come out of the freakin' wild-card round.
  14. Ootball

Ootball Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I can't remember where I heard it, but another player on another "dynasty" team (I think Dallas from the '90's) said that it is VERY hard to sustain, simply because of the # of games played per year. If you think about it, the Pats have played what amounts to an extra season more than most NFL teams over the past 4-5 years.

I'd be shocked if the Pats made it to the SB next year after the crushing losses of last year & this year; at a certain point, it all has to take it's toll. If they do, hats off to 'em...
  15. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

If the Pats do the right thing and do a defensive shake-up the way they did the offense last year, they will be contending again.
  16. Harry Yelreh

Harry Yelreh Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

"any more"...?

Nothing can ever be taken for granted in sports.

Of course there is no promise that Belichick & Brady will win any more championships. That's why it's called "sport" and that's what makes it fun. There is inherent risk involved with trying, and everyone else who's trying wants to win badly, too.

With Belichick and Brady, the Patriots stand as good a chance as anyone in the league to win one or more titles over the next few years.

I don't see a need to make sweeping judgments about something being fundamentally wrong just because the team came a play away from having its fourth Super Bowl in seven seasons and the first 19-0 season in NFL history. In fact, dare I say, that can be a dangerous trap to fall into.

As the Redskins fan pointed out, plenty of people thought a lot was wrong when their team got blown out by the Raiders 38-9 in that Super Bowl. I'm sure some even wanted to get rid of Joe Gibbs. Turns out for them that it was a good thing they didn't get rid of him.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  17. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Bingo! How was that not called? The receiver can't knock a defender on his ass. It was right out in the open and everybody saw it. The refs "let them play" a bit too much IMO.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.