PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Coach's Tape shows that it was a backwards pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
They just showed the questionable pass on Football Night in America and no matter what Nance says, it looks pretty clear it was a backwards pass. It wasn't in front of Rivers. The call was correct.

i have to disagree but it didn't really matter. The pass shouldn't have been thrown, it was a bad pass and Hester was too careless. SD didn't deserve it.

i have to disagree but it didn't really matter. The pass shouldn't have been thrown, it was a bad pass and Hester was too careless. SD didn't deserve it.

I would tend to agree with you, but the Bolts were victims of circumstance on this one. No official with a great view of the play initially, so their inclination is to not blow the whistle and let the play run (if they blow it dead, there can be no challenge to correct it). Once it is the call on the field, you need indisputable evidence to overturn it and the replay just didn't meet that standard with the angles available.

Kudos to Spikes on that play for keeping Hester off Ninkovich so he could (finally) get up and run. Those 63 yards were huge since the way the Pats offense was going at that point, not sure points would have resulted.

I thought it was pretty obvious even from the broadcast footage. Not sure what all the fuss was about.

I would tend to agree with you, but the Bolts were victims of circumstance on this one. No official with a great view of the play initially, so their inclination is to not blow the whistle and let the play run (if they blow it dead, there can be no challenge to correct it). Once it is the call on the field, you need indisputable evidence to overturn it and the replay just didn't meet that standard with the angles available.

Kudos to Spikes on that play for keeping Hester off Ninkovich so he could (finally) get up and run. Those 63 yards were huge since the way the Pats offense was going at that point, not sure points would have resulted.

That was what I enjoyed too, and I think I may have mentioned it in the game thread. At pretty much the same time, while the Chargers were still ****ing around doing nothing of importance, Ninkovich and Spikes both seemed to realize that there had been no whistle. And I loved that Spikes' first reaction was to throw himself at Hester; you can tell that he just enjoys the hell out of hitting people.

Last edited:
That was what I enjoyed too, and I think I may have mentioned it in the game thread. At pretty much the same time, while the Chargers were still ****ing around doing nothing of importance, Ninkovich and Spikes both seemed to realize that there had been no whistle. And I loved that Spikes' first reaction was to throw himself at Hester; you can tell that he just enjoys the hell out of hitting people.

The NE coaches were yelling at them to pick up the ball.

One coach on the sideline (BB?) can be seen motioning for Ninkovich to run with it.

They didn't notice....didn't you see Pepper Johnson yelling at them? Coaches have to be in the correct position too.

You can see Pepper and maybe this guy with the big beard (is that Patricia?) yelling at whoever they can get the attention of......

Great play but lets not congratulate the heads up play of the defense. You shouldn't need a coach to tell you its a live ball.

They didn't notice....didn't you see Pepper Johnson yelling at them? Coaches have to be in the correct position too.

I didn't notice, but I was pretty drunk at the time so you'll have to cut me some slack ;)

Last edited:
You can see Pepper and maybe this guy with the big beard (is that Patricia?) yelling at whoever they can get the attention of......

Great play but lets not congratulate the heads up play of the defense. You shouldn't need a coach to tell you its a live ball.

Yes.

More generally, though, remember that any pass that doesn't go forward is a "lateral pass" that remains a live ball (backwards pass = lateral pass).

Last edited:
Yes.

More generally, though, remember that any pass that doesn't go forward is a "lateral pass" that remains a live ball (backwards pass = lateral pass).

Yea I like that guy Patricia for no reason than he looks like an intense gamer....

i was saying that the guys should dive on the ball no matter what and not really need a coach from the sideline to alert them to the fact it was a lateral. dont you think our old friends Willie, Bru, and Vrable would have pounced on that rock before Romeo or Mangini could even utter a word? I know its not a fair comparison but lets not pretend like the Pats D played it flawlessly either.

Yea I like that guy Patricia for no reason than he looks like an intense gamer....

i was saying that the guys should dive on the ball no matter what and not really need a coach from the sideline to alert them to the fact it was a lateral. dont you think our old friends Willie, Bru, and Vrable would have pounced on that rock before Romeo or Mangini could even utter a word? I know its not a fair comparison but lets not pretend like the Pats D played it flawlessly either.

Quite simply, I think that the folks on the sideline had a better view than those on the field.

IIRC, the infamous "Wilfork in Heisman pose" photo came after Wilfork picked up a lateral under similar circumstances.

The ball bounced forward off Hester and was recovered about 7 yards upfield. I think the fact it was so distinctly moving forward after it hit Hester fooled everyone on the field into thinking it was a forward pass. Noone but Rivers and Hester and the sideline and pressbox coaches had the correct view to tell it was a backwards pass.

They just showed the questionable pass on Football Night in America and no matter what Nance says, it looks pretty clear it was a backwards pass. It wasn't in front of Rivers. The call was correct.
Pet peeve: It's Jim Nantz, not Jim Nance. Huge difference.

Jim Nantz:
jnantz_new.jpg

Jim Nance:
1212_large.jpg

This is correct. You must always play until the whistle. It's something you learn in Pop Warner, so there's no excuse at this level.

Our old friends were also savvy vets. Our young kids didn't play it perfectly, but I hope they learned a lesson from it.

The Chargers have no excuse. They should have taken that play more seriously. And someone should teach their rookie wide receivers the NFL rules so they don't leave the ball around. San Diego suffers from the same thing Dallas does; lots of talent, none of it in the coaching staff.

The ball bounced forward off Hester and was recovered about 7 yards upfield. I think the fact it was so distinctly moving forward after it hit Hester fooled everyone on the field into thinking it was a forward pass. Noone but Rivers and Hester and the sideline and pressbox coaches had the correct view to tell it was a backwards pass.

And the Refs. They knew and did not blow the play dead.

Our old friends were also savvy vets. Our young kids didn't play it perfectly, but I hope they learned a lesson from it.

The Chargers have no excuse. They should have taken that play more seriously. And someone should teach their rookie wide receivers the NFL rules so they don't leave the ball around. San Diego suffers from the same thing Dallas does; lots of talent, none of it in the coaching staff.

Correction. Both teams have a lot of athletic talent. Both teams have a lack of intelligence throughout.

I know the main bone of contention was the position River's arm was when he thru the ball. To me, it looked like a good half yard distance..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes