Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Coach's Tape shows that it was a backwards pass

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Rob0729, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

They just showed the questionable pass on Football Night in America and no matter what Nance says, it looks pretty clear it was a backwards pass. It wasn't in front of Rivers. The call was correct.
  2. Dojo Chargerfan

Dojo Chargerfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

i have to disagree but it didn't really matter. The pass shouldn't have been thrown, it was a bad pass and Hester was too careless. SD didn't deserve it.
  3. Metaphors

Metaphors Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I would tend to agree with you, but the Bolts were victims of circumstance on this one. No official with a great view of the play initially, so their inclination is to not blow the whistle and let the play run (if they blow it dead, there can be no challenge to correct it). Once it is the call on the field, you need indisputable evidence to overturn it and the replay just didn't meet that standard with the angles available.

Kudos to Spikes on that play for keeping Hester off Ninkovich so he could (finally) get up and run. Those 63 yards were huge since the way the Pats offense was going at that point, not sure points would have resulted.
  4. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I thought it was pretty obvious even from the broadcast footage. Not sure what all the fuss was about.
  5. BradyFTW!

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

That was what I enjoyed too, and I think I may have mentioned it in the game thread. At pretty much the same time, while the Chargers were still dicking around doing nothing of importance, Ninkovich and Spikes both seemed to realize that there had been no whistle. And I loved that Spikes' first reaction was to throw himself at Hester; you can tell that he just enjoys the hell out of hitting people.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  6. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -2

The NE coaches were yelling at them to pick up the ball.

One coach on the sideline (BB?) can be seen motioning for Ninkovich to run with it.
  7. Dufflebagz

Dufflebagz Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They didn't notice....didn't you see Pepper Johnson yelling at them? Coaches have to be in the correct position too.
  8. jbb9s

jbb9s Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

You can see Pepper and maybe this guy with the big beard (is that Patricia?) yelling at whoever they can get the attention of......

Great play but lets not congratulate the heads up play of the defense. You shouldn't need a coach to tell you its a live ball.
  9. BradyFTW!

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I didn't notice, but I was pretty drunk at the time so you'll have to cut me some slack ;)
  10. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -1

Yes.

More generally, though, remember that any pass that doesn't go forward is a "lateral pass" that remains a live ball (backwards pass = lateral pass).
  11. jbb9s

jbb9s Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Yea I like that guy Patricia for no reason than he looks like an intense gamer....

i was saying that the guys should dive on the ball no matter what and not really need a coach from the sideline to alert them to the fact it was a lateral. dont you think our old friends Willie, Bru, and Vrable would have pounced on that rock before Romeo or Mangini could even utter a word? I know its not a fair comparison but lets not pretend like the Pats D played it flawlessly either.
  12. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -1

Quite simply, I think that the folks on the sideline had a better view than those on the field.

IIRC, the infamous "Wilfork in Heisman pose" photo came after Wilfork picked up a lateral under similar circumstances.
  13. alamo

alamo praedica numerum! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

The ball bounced forward off Hester and was recovered about 7 yards upfield. I think the fact it was so distinctly moving forward after it hit Hester fooled everyone on the field into thinking it was a forward pass. Noone but Rivers and Hester and the sideline and pressbox coaches had the correct view to tell it was a backwards pass.
  14. Ron Sellers

Ron Sellers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Pet peeve: It's Jim Nantz, not Jim Nance. Huge difference.

Jim Nantz: [​IMG]

Jim Nance: [​IMG]
  15. pencilneckgeek

pencilneckgeek Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Man, I thought he looked good for his age. :rolleyes:
  16. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is correct. You must always play until the whistle. It's something you learn in Pop Warner, so there's no excuse at this level.
  17. convertedpatsfan

convertedpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Our old friends were also savvy vets. Our young kids didn't play it perfectly, but I hope they learned a lesson from it.

The Chargers have no excuse. They should have taken that play more seriously. And someone should teach their rookie wide receivers the NFL rules so they don't leave the ball around. San Diego suffers from the same thing Dallas does; lots of talent, none of it in the coaching staff.
  18. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -2

And the Refs. They knew and did not blow the play dead.
  19. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0

Correction. Both teams have a lot of athletic talent. Both teams have a lack of intelligence throughout.
  20. mcsully

mcsully Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I know the main bone of contention was the position River's arm was when he thru the ball. To me, it looked like a good half yard distance..
  21. Lloyd_Christmas

Lloyd_Christmas I can delete my own crap! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I thought it was hard to tell if it was a lateral or forward pass based on the televised footage.

However, it was definitely close, so SD has no room to cry about it. They should have jumped on the ball just in case. Rivers was chewing out the RB after the play, so clearly he feels the same way.

In a week where the officials screwed up a lot, I thought the officials did a good job on this one. Had they blown the whistle, the play would not have been reviewable and it was too close to call.
  22. convertedpatsfan

convertedpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Fair enough. :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.