Welcome to PatsFans.com

The clock could be turned back and all these cuts recalled.

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PatsRI, Mar 2, 2006.

1. PatsRI

PatsRI PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2351727

A high-level source with one NFL team told ESPN.com the league has informed teams that any player placed on waivers during the period of uncertainty (which includes players in this story) can be recalled from waivers until there is more clarity about the pending free-agency period

Psyche!:rofl:
  2. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Scratch that, didn't see the free agency delay announcement.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
  3. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Rookie

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

4. PatsRI

PatsRI PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

They are placed on waivers so perhaps there is some clause that lets teams recall them if no other teams claim? I'm sure the union wouldn't complain too much having guys back under old and mostly higher paying contracts but who can figure what's going to happen!
  5. patpatriot

patpatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Free means free

I think that anyone who was already cut and who wanted to stay cut probably has a pretty good case. I can't think why anyone would want that off the top of my head though.
  6. fgssand

fgssand PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

#17 Jersey

Seems to me any team stupid enough to cut a player before they are forced to for cap reasons on deserve to lose that player. Why would anyone cut a player without knowing what is going on.
  7. RoadGrader

RoadGrader Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree fgssand......

however, being a cynical bastahd, a thought occurred to me seeing that the NFL owners voted unaimously this AM to suspend talks and then seemingly followed a range of high-profile player names announced league-wide as being cut.....

might have been a plan to bring Upshaw back to the table?
  8. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +211 / 16 / -36

#50 Jersey

Actually, I think that many of the players were ones that teams considered borderline (in terms of cap number), but have big names and they are being used as sacrificial lambs to get the NFLPA back to the negotiating table.

There have been some big players let go. And I don't mean just their size.

Brad Hopkins, Ted Washington, Sam Madison. Also, the pending release of Andre Dyson from Seattle (he'd look good in the flying Elvis :>)

I think that the owners told the team management to put together a list of big name vets whom could be cut to send a message to the NFLPA. And I believe it worked. And I believe that players will continue to be cut between now and up until the new CBA is signed. I figure if enough big name players get cut and are banging on Upshaw's door, he'll have to listen.
  9. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Because if a deal is worked out, we're looking at a 105-110 million salary cap once again.