PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Chung issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady_to_Moss

28-3....
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
i say let the guy go...getting worse and worse..no need to keep him. Use the $$ on depth on the D

I'd only give him vet min at most. Would not pay Chung any signficant money to stay. His coverage is god-awful and there's a reason he has been a healthy scratch lately or was it 1 snap out of 79?

God what the hell happened to him? At one point in like early 2010 he looked so promising.

The Chung issue??...oh, yeah, forgot...I just got mine a few days ago...I opened it up and it looks like it was one page but somebody ripped the page out...nice pic of him on the cover though...flexing biceps after tackling the ball carrier 15 yards downfield...

Chung should change his last name to Dung because he played like **** and isn't getting better.....almost Meriweather like.

Let Patrick and Kyle hold hands in Belichick's office while he cuts both their asses

A lousy safety and even worse cornerback

Replacing those 2 bums along with a soft playing Gregory and then the secondary will be instantly improved.

As far as I'm concerned there's no real issue. His level of play has depreciated on a yearly basis and he's expendable.

Issue implies there is some controversy or a difficult decision. I think it's obvious that Chung will not be back with the Patriots. Really too bad, seems like a great teammate and plays with a lot of fire. Unfortunately he cannot cover or stay healthy.

That hit he put on Nicks in the SB last year looked painful. He nearly knocked him out of the game.

I say we trade him. Someone will take him. Remember, we traded Maroney and he was terrible.

I think its given he's gone. He has no reason to stay here.
The bigger question is what caused not just his decline, but lack of progress?
Was it just injuries?

Seems we've had too many promising DBs just peak at their first or second season. Merriweather and Chung should've both been probowl safetys. McCourty should've been a probowl CB - luckily he's turned himself into a good safety. hopefully he doesn't fall into to decline at that position as well.

???

You cannot trade an unrestricted free agent.

I say we trade him. Someone will take him. Remember, we traded Maroney and he was terrible.

No doubt about it, Chung will be gone before preseason games begin.

I think its given he's gone. He has no reason to stay here.
The bigger question is what caused not just his decline, but lack of progress?
Was it just injuries?

Seems we've had too many promising DBs just peak at their first or second season. Merriweather and Chung should've both been probowl safetys. McCourty should've been a probowl CB - luckily he's turned himself into a good safety. hopefully he doesn't fall into to decline at that position as well.

Not to be a d!ck, but Meriweather was a Pro Bowl safety, so you probably want to choose another way to choose another qualifier.

Anyway, its interesting that neither Chung or Meriweather really ever improved at safety. Chung always seemed like a competitive, try-hard, team first guy and the coaches loved him, so with him effort wasn't the issue. But watching him unravel the way he has since the team tried to move him away from the LOS, it seems like he just doesn't have what it takes.

On the other hand, Meriweather always had what it takes, but didn't have the attitude and desire to improve his game, was in the doghouse often for his play on the field, was always gambling for personal glory, etc. Seemed like he could have been better had he applied himself.

So in summary, Meriweather would have been successful had he had some Chung in him, and Chung would have been successful if he had some Meriweather in him. Oy vey.

There is no Chung issue. He's a FA, and it's not in the team's interest to retain him. You can only carry so many roster spots or allocate so much cap space to a given position, and to allocate any space or money to a defensive back with Chung's coverage liabilities would be an egregious error.

He needs to take a geometry class....

What issue? Chung is too slow to cover and too small to hit without injuring himself.

Like others, I see no issue. Chung needs a fresh start. He lost his starting job in NE and really, since his moronic fake punt attempt in the 2010 playoff loss, he's been sort of dead to me, and I think many others.

Yeah, if he could play, it would fade away, but he's got a LB's brain and a safety's body, and he really can't play either position. He also routinely bites on fakes and gets out of position.

See ya, Patrick.

Chung should change his last name to Dung because he played like **** and isn't getting better.....almost Meriweather like.

Let Patrick and Kyle hold hands in Belichick's office while he cuts both their asses

A lousy safety and even worse cornerback

Replacing those 2 bums along with a soft playing Gregory and then the secondary will be instantly improved.

I say bring Arrington back because A) he's not going to cost you anything. B) While you don't want him starting, he CAN fill in and play decent in specific roles. And C) Right now without Talib signed, and assuming McCourty is staying at safety, we have Dennard, Cole, and Dowling at CB. Even with Talib, we're probably looking to add two more corners anyway, so you might as well keep Arrington for his special teams and bring in bodies to hopefully beat him out for corner snaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes