Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Chicago snub, was more about the rift between the USOC and the IOC...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Oct 4, 2009.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +369 / 11 / -28

Mentioned this yesterday, that the reason that the US lost out on the olympics was more about the USOC than about the efforts or Obama et al...
    this article provides some veracity to the article.. from the Chicago Tribune..

Chicago's loss shows bitter rivalry between USOC and IOC -- chicagotribune.com

2. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I think the biggest factor working against Chicago is the fact that the USA has hosted 8 games while the entire continent of South America has hosted none. If the evidence suggested Rio was up to the task of hosting, then it was a no brainer IMO. You can't really say its an international thing if it skips huge regions of the world. The important thing is that Rio's not 14 time zones away.

Don't forget, America gets all the Superbowls.

3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I agree with your take.

Just because Dick Ebersol says it doesn't make it so. His interests were not taken care of so he's pissed. He thinks NBC's money should be the deciding factor, but it wasn't. Neither was politics of the IOC. It was just simply time to give an Olympics to S. America.

4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

The thing that annoyed me most about the whole Olympic bidding last week was the absolute insistance of the right that Obama should not have shown up - that Obama "lost it" for Chicago, that a president of a country had no business "lowering" himself to appeal to a committee to pick "his" country, completely ignoring the fact that if he had NOT shown up he would have been the only leader who didn't.

Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva was there.

King Juan Carlos of Spain was there.

Japan's new prime minister, Yukio Hatoyama, was there.

I guess ole Juan and Yukio were greeting as losers when they went home, too, huh?

5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Makes me want to listen to some Beatles.

6. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The main reason why the Southern Hemisphere rarely if ever gets a Summer Olympics, is becuase it's Winter down there during our summer...

But yeah, I agree, Atlanta just had the games, there are many many countries int he world, we shouldn't expect a return to the games for at least another 20 years...

7. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

If Obama did not make an appearance, he would have been blamed for not being there.

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Not from me, he should be busy doing what Hollywood and the Pelosi Gang were all blubbering about for 8 years (bringing home the troops and closing gitmo)

What the hell did he drag Queen Oprah over there with him for, what did he think she was going do she's nothing more than a show biz Clown.........:confused:

9. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I doubt we'll have to wait as long as everyone else. US broadcasting revenue still makes up more than 1/2 of the money the IOC takes in. Money still equals power, and you can bet NBC's giant pile of money is the main reason Chicago got as close as it did.

10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

Brazil probably greased more palms too. The IOC is as corrupt as the UN. Maybe worse even. Either way, who cares. We need to focus our resources on more important endeavors.

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Oprah Winfrey-----:singing::singing::singing:

Obama should have dragged Chris Matthews along with him also, he could have drooled and yelled at them.

12. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They were chosen due on regional fairness mostly...we, North America(Vancouver/Whistler, British Columbia, Canada), get the Winter Olympics this upcoming February and had the games in 2002 in Salt Lake City and in 1996 in Atlanta. That is three times in a span of 14 years for the games, even the most ardent USA supporter can see why it would be fair for someone else to get the games when it really won't matter: USA will still get the most medals!

By the way the other reasons that it went to South America is simple: Europe has games coming up in 2014(Sochi, Russia) and 2012(London, England) and hosted in 2004(Athens, Greece) and 2006(Turin, Italy). Asia hosted in 2008(Beijing, China) and 1998(Nagano, Japan) and you could consider 2000 in Sydney to be part of Asia region even if they are Australian/Southeast Asia/Pacific rim region.

Going to South America is long overdue. And the claim about the southern hemisphere being a problem is a joke: Sydney is in the Southern Hemisphere and they had no problems with weather...

Frankly this is a reflection on what happened with the 2004 and 2008 games: those games had delays in construction that endangered the games, going with Rio was the best bet for them since they were the only ones who had a preexisting stadium that meets or exceeds what is needed to host the games and has the available resources to host the different venues needed.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  13. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Bids are already starting to come in for the next round of hosting, this time for the 2020 games.

Among the US candidates are Tulsa, Birmingham, BOSTON, and Minniapolis/St. Paul...the Twin Cities are no stranger to bids, they have finished 2nd in past US bids and barely missed getting the 1952 games to Hesinki.
    Among our other regional cities are Toronto, ON, Canada and Guadalajara and Monterrey down in Mexico.

14. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +369 / 11 / -28

This is very telling... you have to wonder how we are perceived on the world stage; as a bully who can pretty much dictate anything we want (aka spoiled brat) or a country that cares about a bigger picture.

Personally think that the resources needed to bring this to Chicago are not worth the results.. if the economy was better and there could be more reliance on the private sector, then might feel differently.

15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Probably both of those things - those countries who already like us, like us. Those which hate us, hate us. And the leaders of either do not necessarily reflect the views of their people. It would be good to get back to the days when we were a respected nation but much has happened since then and much needs to be done. I don't think all the very vocal in-fighting that Americans indulge in helps much. Hard to present a united front when our own citizens are screaming at one another in the streets and in the press. If the president is constantly undermined and mocked by his own people I'm sure it makes it difficult for people from another country to form a decent opinion.

I agree. I'm always unsure of why any place would want to host any huge security-risk event. I don't know that the citizens of the location picked are going to be happy with the crowds and the hassle. I don't even like the annual Cherry Blossom Festival here. Too many people in too small an area in too short of a time. It's impossible to get to work or to go about your daily business. Most of the businesses and workplaces which did not directly have any connection with The Inaugration simply closed down and we all stayed home or got the hell outa town.

I'm from Chicago and I spent quite a few hours trying to figure out where in the heck they thought they were going to put everyone if the Olympics came to town. I never did come up with an answer.