Status
Not open for further replies.

psychoPat

Role Player
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Evans going to battle for Pats

By Glen Farley, Enterprise staff writer

FOXBORO — The attitude was literally drilled into him at an early age.

“My whole preparation this offseason has been — they've honored me, they've given me a great contract, now let's step up to the plate even that much more,” New England Patriots fullback Heath Evans said during at the team's mandatory offseason minicamp which concluded at Gillette Stadium Thursday. “Let's give them even more of what they don't even know I'm capable of. It's the Marine mindset I grew up with.”

The son of a U.S. Marine, Evans' father, Brian, and his uncle, Brett, both served during the Vietnam War.

While Brett saw action, Brian didn't. It wasn't for lack of effort, though.

“They're twin brothers,” said Evans, “and back then, you could only take the oldest of a brother. My dad was the youngest twin by like seven or eight minutes. They were 21 and that was the first time in their lives they had ever been split up.

“They enlisted together and had planned on staying together,” said Evans. “My dad actually got his parents to sign something to allow him to go with his brother because they didn't want to be split up, but they wouldn't allow him.”

Evans' military upbringing often slips through in interviews sprinkled with responses that begin with “yes, sir” or “no, sir.”

Personally, Evans carries an allegiance to the Patriots, one that only grew during the offseason when they signed him with a two-year contract worth upwards of $1.6 million.

“It's myself last, the team first,” Evans said, explaining his approach. “The whole attitude that Mr. (team owner Robert) Kraft and Coach (Bill) Belichick gave me an opportunity, so you go over and above the call of duty.”

While the returns have been modest (112 career carries for 417 yards in 89 career regular-season games) — such is the life of a fullback in today's NFL — more often than not Evans has responded to the call of duty.

“We love it here,” said Evans. “I love my team, my coaching staff. It's a joy to be able to come to work every day. I don't think a lot of people have that opportunity, even in this league.

“It's rewarding. It's nice,” Evans said of his new contract. “It's kind of funny. I think coaches are hesitant sometimes to give people some security because they think they might back off. For me, it's been such a driving force in my career.

“I played in Seattle where they wanted me, but they didn't know quite how to use me. Then Miami obviously didn't want me. It just feels great to be wanted.”

edited excerpts from:
http://enterprise.southofboston.com/articles/2007/06/08/news/sports/sports03.txt

hes worked hard..i loved how he said earlier in the offsesaon: lets put money aside, i wanna be a Patriot. i love it here.

i loved that attitude..hes a great guy..hes improving each year and by looks of pictures..he looks like he added some muscle mass :)

He's been a great addition...nice to see him back.

Now only if ass ante had that attitiude!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
There's going to be some tough stuff to go theough when it comes to roster cut downs. Are they going to keep three or four running backs and Evans and Mills on top of the three tight ends. Each offers something unique (and I like both), but I'm not sure how it will work out in terms of roster spots.

I hope we start out the season with only two QBs.

I don't think they'll cut Evans this year. The guy has versatility and attitude. I'll never forget the Miami game against his former team rushing for 5 yards a carry out of no where.

Its guys like Evans that makes us fans love the pats and the philosophy of winning with a team first attitude. I think he definitely makes the cut, these type of guys evans and t brown are good players and good for lockeroom morale not to mention an example for rookies and FAs.

No way they cut Evans, he was starting to become a key special teams player at the end of last year. He's versatile, cheap, and a great character guy too I expect him to be around for a while.

Read high praise this AM for Evans by Hairston the later round draft pick, as to how unselfish Evans, Faulk and the rest of the team is to the new guys and how they are always there to help them out..

I'm glad to see everyone coming around. This guy is a keeper for a long time. He was a fullback, third down back, short yardage guy and special teamer at various points last year. He can fill any role and will with a smile.

Evans going to battle for Pats

By Glen Farley, Enterprise staff writer

FOXBORO — The attitude was literally drilled into him at an early age.

“My whole preparation this offseason has been — they've honored me, they've given me a great contract, now let's step up to the plate even that much more,” New England Patriots fullback Heath Evans said during at the team's mandatory offseason minicamp which concluded at Gillette Stadium Thursday. “Let's give them even more of what they don't even know I'm capable of. It's the Marine mindset I grew up with.”

The son of a U.S. Marine, Evans' father, Brian, and his uncle, Brett, both served during the Vietnam War.

While Brett saw action, Brian didn't. It wasn't for lack of effort, though.

“They're twin brothers,” said Evans, “and back then, you could only take the oldest of a brother. My dad was the youngest twin by like seven or eight minutes. They were 21 and that was the first time in their lives they had ever been split up.

“They enlisted together and had planned on staying together,” said Evans. “My dad actually got his parents to sign something to allow him to go with his brother because they didn't want to be split up, but they wouldn't allow him.”

Evans' military upbringing often slips through in interviews sprinkled with responses that begin with “yes, sir” or “no, sir.”

Personally, Evans carries an allegiance to the Patriots, one that only grew during the offseason when they signed him with a two-year contract worth upwards of $1.6 million.

“It's myself last, the team first,” Evans said, explaining his approach. “The whole attitude that Mr. (team owner Robert) Kraft and Coach (Bill) Belichick gave me an opportunity, so you go over and above the call of duty.”

While the returns have been modest (112 career carries for 417 yards in 89 career regular-season games) — such is the life of a fullback in today's NFL — more often than not Evans has responded to the call of duty.

“We love it here,” said Evans. “I love my team, my coaching staff. It's a joy to be able to come to work every day. I don't think a lot of people have that opportunity, even in this league.

“It's rewarding. It's nice,” Evans said of his new contract. “It's kind of funny. I think coaches are hesitant sometimes to give people some security because they think they might back off. For me, it's been such a driving force in my career.

“I played in Seattle where they wanted me, but they didn't know quite how to use me. Then Miami obviously didn't want me. It just feels great to be wanted.”

edited excerpts from:
http://enterprise.southofboston.com/articles/2007/06/08/news/sports/sports03.txt

Great stuff from Heath! It reminds me of just how strong our locker room is.
I thought the bolded statement was interesting-I'm convinced this is one of the qualities which not only makes the Pats somewhat unique in the league but is also something that will continue to attract frustrated players from other teams. JMHomerOpinion but the Pats are among the best when it comes to assessing strengths and being able to put those strengths to their best use on the field.

Good ol' fashion work ethic! Can't get enough of it in this era of baby-faced multi million dollar athletes.

JMHomerOpinion but the Pats are among the best when it comes to assessing strengths and being able to put those strengths to their best use on the field.

I strongly agree with this.

Arguably, there are other teams that have equal strengths at spotting diamonds in the rough and avoiding signing players as free agents who aren't going to work out (yes, I am thinking of you, Monty "Ole!" Beisel). There are other teams too with cunning playbooks and geeky mad-scientist coaches.

But everything that I have ever heard suggests that BB and Pioli excel at having a sense of the individual strengths of players and knowing how they want to use them to exploit those strengths. And I've read players commenting positively on this when they signed with the Patriots -- how during the recruitment process BB and Pioli have gone into how they've played in the past and how the Patriots would try to make use of that.

It's a great quality in any job if you feel your new boss already knows how you work and what you're good at.

Read high praise this AM for Evans by Hairston the later round draft pick, as to how unselfish Evans, Faulk and the rest of the team is to the new guys and how they are always there to help them out..
link/source?

I was a fan of this guy from the get go,when we signed him after the Finns released him.I would be shocked if he didnt make the squad,but i've been wrong before.....

I was a fan of this guy from the get go,when we signed him after the Finns released him.I would be shocked if he didnt make the squad,but i've been wrong before.....
You were wrong only the one time, don't take it so hard. :D

patchick among others noted Evans apparent leadership role last season. He was quoted a lot for a lowly FB and he was always there with a hand up or a high five for the other guys. Like Don Davis before him, he's one of those non-stars who sets the tempo in the locker room.

I also like how Faulk was portrayed by Hairston in the Guregian piece. If the kid is ever going to make in the NFL, the example set by Faulk, Evans, & Co. needs to be taken to heart. I'm glad Tebucky took him under his wing during the year, I'd bet that helped him establish the kind of foundtation Pioli is looking for in a player who will be scratching and clawing at the back of the roster.

Those writers that ponder the 2007 team's chemistry potential need to look past a Randy Moss question mark and check out the Evans, Faulks, and Izzos. The Brady/Seymour/Bruschi leadership core is solid, and that support group around it is just as reliable. Ask LdT, Rivers, and friends if the back of the New England roster has any quit in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes