PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Chaos Once Free Agency Hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

patriot lifer

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
When free agency finally starts (knock on wood), teams will begin the scramble to sign free agents. Teams will have to learn the new rules of a new CBA and make quick judgments of how best to deal with its intricacies. And to top it off, 100% of the rookies have to be signed to contracts. Take a guess who will be working overtime. And to boot, the front offices don't know yet who's going to be a free agent, which can have a two-fold effect: 1) who is available and 2) who they're potentially losing (at least these should be correlated for most teams).

Albeit the higher ups in front offices will likely know well before free agency begins the cutoff for free agency (5 or 6 years), but it's no understatement that these guys are going to be busy. Especially considering that the League will want this process to move quickly to limit any truncation of TC and pre-season, and most importantly so that the season starts on time.

Any thoughts on how this will effect our strategy? Any predictions or related musings?

I see us as being fairly well shielded as compared to other teams. If we lose a guy like Page, I see McGowan as an easy replacement for another 1- or 2-year deal. This contrasts to the Jets obviously, but I wonder about teams that want to be trigger-happy come free agency (like the Eagles). I guess we can just sit back and enjoy the show. :)

whatever happens...we'll be allright.

We have the best when it comes to FA.

Yes, there will be an initial scrambles, as is always the case. And yes, there will be incompetent fron offices. We have one of the very best. I see absolutely ZERO problems for the patriots in free agency, whether it lasts 2 weeks or 2 months.

The patriots have only only one key free agent, Matt Light; and they already have 3 other LT's on the squad who could start if Light is not back. We have zero NEEDS in free agency, although they whould be several opportunities for upgrades and trades.

When free agency finally starts (knock on wood), teams will begin the scramble to sign free agents. Teams will have to learn the new rules of a new CBA and make quick judgments of how best to deal with its intricacies. And to top it off, 100% of the rookies have to be signed to contracts. Take a guess who will be working overtime.

And to boot, the front offices don't know yet who's going to be a free agent, which can have a two-fold effect: 1) who is available and 2) who they're potentially losing (at least these should be correlated for most teams).

Albeit the higher ups in front offices will likely know well before free agency begins the cutoff for free agency (5 or 6 years), but it's no understatement that these guys are going to be busy. Especially considering that the League will want this process to move quickly to limit any truncation of TC and pre-season, and most importantly so that the season starts on time.

I don't think it has too much impact on too many front offices. Right now if I was a GM, I would be scenario building (as I would before any free agency period) with the only significant difference is that I would be generating more scenarios. Traditionally the scenarios would be based on which guys are resigned, which guys are released, which guys are you interested and in what ranking. So if the Pats are looking for a 3-4 DE within a certain budget what happens if Player A is resigned by his current team, Player B is released, Player C signs with the Lions and Player D's agent is on the phone --- what is the option tree?

The difference this year is who is an RFA, what are the RFA and ERFA rules, what are the franchise rules --- so run out scenario boards with 4 year RFA rules, 5 year RFA rules and 6 year RFA rules.

Not that difficult.

And then comes the question of OLB. If we go after a former 4-3 OLB or DE, then that player will have to go through the process of learning a new position (during a limited TC). What's more, the player may not be any good with the position change. If we do go after someone, then I see that as a sign that BB dislikes our OLB situation (obviously). I know a lot of us don't like our status at the position, but plenty of times his opinion has differed from ours considerably. And if he doesn't go after someone, then that doesn't mean he loves our players by any means. In the end, I don't see an OLB acquisition occurring this season. That being said, if we can somehow get a steal (very unlikely), then I could see it happening.

I don't think it has too much impact on too many front offices. Right now if I was a GM, I would be scenario building (as I would before any free agency period) with the only significant difference is that I would be generating more scenarios. Traditionally the scenarios would be based on which guys are resigned, which guys are released, which guys are you interested and in what ranking. So if the Pats are looking for a 3-4 DE within a certain budget what happens if Player A is resigned by his current team, Player B is released, Player C signs with the Lions and Player D's agent is on the phone --- what is the option tree?

The difference this year is who is an RFA, what are the RFA and ERFA rules, what are the franchise rules --- so run out scenario boards with 4 year RFA rules, 5 year RFA rules and 6 year RFA rules.

Not that difficult.

Well described, but what sounds simple in theory doesn't always play out so simply. Especially for teams trying to retain key players. The you-know-what could hit the fan for a team and they get desperate.

On a separate note, it's interesting how the suspense is building this lead-up to free agency compared to prior years. We never have had so many free agents (or players anticipating trades) this late in the process. Albert Haynesworth, Plaxico Burress, Reggie Bush, and Asomugha to name a few.

whatever happens...we'll be allright.

We have the best when it comes to FA.

Adailus Thomas, Steve Martin, Donald Hayes, Donte Stallworth say hi as main free agent busts.

Chaos reigns supreme for the unprepared, not for the NEP. Anyone who has followed the management style of the 21st century Patriots knows that the Patriots front office has a detailed list of If...Then...Else contingency plans for all permutations of noveau FA under the yet unborn 2011 CBA. A non-issue for Pats fans. And a few pratfalls from the bottom tier NFL front offices to come.

Chaos reigns supreme for the unprepared, not for the NEP. Anyone who has followed the management style of the 21st century Patriots knows that the Patriots front office has a detailed list of If...Then...Else contingency plans for all permutations of noveau FA under the yet unborn 2011 CBA. A non-issue for Pats fans. And a few pratfalls from the bottom tier NFL front offices to come.
not to mention Kraft is in the middle of negotiations, so he might know which way the players/owners are leaning. But, I say that's probably completely unnecessary as they most likely have the lists of those players who are in the 4th, 5th, 6th year of the rookie contracts along with Franchise and Transition tags.

I would think all teams have this level of detail (though I wonder how many have contacted players already). Probably few to none with the situation in place. i mention that because of times when FA sign a dea l15 minutes after the FA period begins.

Adailus Thomas, Steve Martin, Donald Hayes, Donte Stallworth say hi as main free agent busts.

Meh Donte was decent in his role in 07.

Let's not forget Welker,Moss,Vrabel,Harrison,Dillon,Phifer,Crumpler,Patten and Co.

once all the big names get over paid the pats will sign a JAG or two that will help the team the pats will be ok

Thomas was a disappointment NOT A BUST. He had a good year in 2007, not a single person complained at the time (especially when he played out of position most of that year). IIRC he was having even a better year in 2008 when he got hurt. OK in 2009 he was a ****, but a **** who had a few good moments. True he was never played up to the contract he got, but what high end FA ever does. I would also put Stallworth on that list as not really being a bust. In 2007 he had a decent year as the one of the last options for Brady. Sharing the ball with Welker and Moss that year was NOT an easy task

As for what will happen when FA FINALLY comes, it WILL be chaos, which I think will be an advantage for the Pats. However it will be a HORROR SHOW for all the vet FAs and UDFAs. Think of it as musical chairs. When the music stops there will be a number of good football players who will be out of work. Victims of the current situation. The best prepared teams will do well. The rest....not so much. However the big losers in this will be the players caught in the middle of this mess.

Last edited:
Thomas and Stallworth were not busts. Arte you expecting every signing to be a stud? Martin and Hayes were cheap signings. A bust is a guy you spend a ton of money on who doesn't help you, not a piece added for cheap that doesnt work out.
We have had busts, you just are listing the wrong ones, but overall the track record has been as good better than any team.

Free agency for the Pats is likely to "Meh". Not terribly exciting. Except, of course, if BB decides he wants someone badly. How often you see that? So, yah, just a JAG here and a JAG there, hoping they transform intp diamonds from the rough.

How different is that from the Eagles -- who from their owner down to Coach to their beat writers are all committed to "loading up" with "A" list free agents?
Night and Day.

Don't get your hopes up!

Hopefully BB can load up on CBs and RBs...............

With the lockout preventing rookies from "learning the system" maybe it was a wise choice to select a few RBs in the last draft (a position that requeires little to no adjustment from college to the Pros), BUT teams are going to be after veteran free agents. I think that the longer the lcokout goes, the better it is for the Pats. They are set on offense and have pretty much the core of their team already in place. The teams with new Head Coaches and or QB (or, yikes, BOTH) are in trouble. All re-treaded HCs seem to always sign a few of "their guys" when they get to a new team.

The Big question for free agency is, who is going to be a free agent? Is it four years or six years, is there a franchise tag? If it's four years and no franchise tag, then the Pats need a starting left guard.

If the new CBA is close to the old CBA, I really don't see the Pats going after any BIG Time FA.

Hopefully BB can load up on CBs and RBs...............

With the lockout preventing rookies from "learning the system" maybe it was a wise choice to select a few RBs in the last draft (a position that requeires little to no adjustment from college to the Pros), BUT teams are going to be after veteran free agents. I think that the longer the lcokout goes, the better it is for the Pats. They are set on offense and have pretty much the core of their team already in place. The teams with new Head Coaches and or QB (or, yikes, BOTH) are in trouble. All re-treaded HCs seem to always sign a few of "their guys" when they get to a new team.

The Big question for free agency is, who is going to be a free agent? Is it four years or six years, is there a franchise tag? If it's four years and no franchise tag, then the Pats need a starting left guard.

If the new CBA is close to the old CBA, I really don't see the Pats going after any BIG Time FA.

They might hang onto Faulk, other than that I wouldnt mind seeing them brink Ricky Williams on board.

If the lockout continues to the extent that it really limits and hampers the evaluation and development process of young WR's Brandon Tate and Taylor Price, does anyone see that as a reason why we go after a veteran WR like Santana Moss? I'd love to pick him up (I think he'd fit in well), but at the same time I want to hold on to our current WR's, which is already 5 (Branch, Welker, Edelman, Price, Tate). Making it 6 is pushing it especially when we can almost count Hernandez as one. But then I also think about the durability of Branch.

Tate & Price have the playbook and some knowhow of the system where Santana Moss may be a vet in someone's system but here he is starting from zero.

Perhaps Belichick will focus on picking up a #9 receiver; perhaps not. We already have 5 WR's, 2 receiving TE's and 2 running backs as receivers.

As you indicated, the shortening of the offseason will reduce the time that a new receiver will have to learn the system. I suspect that this situation will be an advantage for Tate over any incoming receiver.

If the lockout continues to the extent that it really limits and hampers the evaluation and development process of young WR's Brandon Tate and Taylor Price, does anyone see that as a reason why we go after a veteran WR like Santana Moss? I'd love to pick him up (I think he'd fit in well), but at the same time I want to hold on to our current WR's, which is already 5 (Branch, Welker, Edelman, Price, Tate). Making it 6 is pushing it especially when we can almost count Hernandez as one. But then I also think about the durability of Branch.

Last edited:
Jenkins and Farnham are still with Pats also I believe.....I don't see BB going after a WR...IMHO :)

Pats are in decent shape if all their injured players are healthy for TC .....If BB gets a chance to pick up a FA OLB...do it....

I can't see any glaring holes on their roster....:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye