PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Chad Jackson Offseason Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a decent special teamer. Don't expect much more than that out of him.

Uh, are you serious? Au contraire, there is little reason to believe the Jackson will be, at best, a special teams gunner.

He's a decent special teamer. Don't expect much more than that out of him.

There is not even all that much evidence that he is going to be a decent special teams guy. I will be *shocked* if Jackson is on the Pats next year.

There is not even all that much evidence that he is going to be a decent special teams guy. I will be *shocked* if Jackson is on the Pats next year.

:confused: Give him some time. Like BB said, people called Ty Warren a bust after his first year.

It's a virtual lock he'll be on the team. Are you kidding ???

Give him some time. Like BB said, people called Ty Warren a bust after his first year.

Sarcasm. I guess I misplaced one of these :p ;) :bricks: :D

Take your pick.

Last edited:
Chad Jackson!

Chad Jackson. Chad Jackson. Chad Jackson. Chad Jackson. Chad Jackson.

Will he spend months training and practicing with Brady? Will he come back in the fall and dazzle and daze us?

Or will he Bethel Johnson on us?!

Chad Jackson will have his breakout game, opening Sunday night at home against whomever we play that night.

I think Chad is being brought along slowly. He's young. He's probably somewhat immature. He'll be fine eventually, maybe even special.

This is what I posted in another thread:

I was reviewing some player profiles from The Huddle Report and found this snippet by Drew Boylhart:

"I have one question that has nothing to do about Chad’s talent. Why is he coming out early? He was in a program and offense that could make him a top five player in the 2007 draft? I don’t know what the reason is, but If I were Urban Myers and I had a kid this talented, I would do everything in my power to hold on to him for one more year. This kid was in the perfect offense to show his talents to the world and he is passing it up! Not only that, his coach is not squawking like a duck being chased down the road by a mutt pissed because the duck was swimming in his water bowl. Personally, I have to wonder if this kid can handle the playbook at the next level."

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/ppSD/...hadJackson.htm

This could help to explain the lack of participation by a seemingly healthy (at least down the stretch) Chad Jackson. I think he was a developmental prospect all along. Urban Meyer clued BB in to the issues the Patriots were getting into and they were dealt with accordingly. He was never meant to be any type of replacement if Deion Branch didn't treturn this year.

If he matures this year they'll have a monster on their hands. They need to draft a more complete player like Rhema McKnight from ND and they'll be fine. He still may be available in Round 2. Paul Williams from Fresno State is likely to be in their plans as well. They're both big, productive, and come from JV schools so all the requisite homework will have been done diligently.

Hopefully next year I won't be left screaming "Why the EFF is EFFING Heath Evans split out wide with the EFFING season on the Line!".

That is my wish.

Paul Williams is an intriguing prospect.

Guys guaranteeing that we'll throw away a #2 pick after an injury plagued first season are nuts.

Of course we'll look at him for a while more. The cap hit is cheap on the rookie deal, and the draft pick won't come back to us if he succeeds elsewhere.

Good things come to he who waits. I mean, the kid could be the next Hart Lee Dykes.

Heh. Just kidding there.

PFnV

I admit it. I have no idea how the Chad Jackson and Patriots story will turn out. Unless he's a total and complete dud, he will be on the roster next year. What little I've seen of him there were little glimpses that showed promise, but far too few. I do have to wonder why when he was active many games, he barely played and mostly got screen passes thrown his way.
The only real important thing is that BBioli know what the have with him. If he's the real deal and can provide the deep threat they really need to stretch the field the Patriots would be OK with him Caldwell, Gaffney and whoever.

I remember when i met Jackson at training camp and he was nice enough to talk to me for a few minutes as he was with Troy Brown. I asked him how he was adjusting to everything and he said he was doing good and said it was hotter than Florida. (Mind you this was over the time that it was so hot outside that small shrubs and bushes were catching fire).

He came away as very polite and seemed focused on where he had to go and to not be late. Brown and Chad signed some stuff for me and they were very classy guys. Very friendly and never came across as slow or a comic.

Chad Jackson!

Chad Jackson. Chad Jackson. Chad Jackson. Chad Jackson. Chad Jackson.

Will he spend months training and practicing with Brady? Will he come back in the fall and dazzle and daze us?

Or will he Bethel Johnson on us?!

Maybe they should deal him to the Raiders for Moss! :rolleyes:

If he matures this year they'll have a monster on their hands. They need to draft a more complete player like Rhema McKnight from ND and they'll be fine. He still may be available in Round 2. Paul Williams from Fresno State is likely to be in their plans as well. They're both big, productive, and come from JV schools so all the requisite homework will have been done diligently.QUOTE]

Rhema McKnight is far too slow to be a threat as an NFL Wide Receiver -- Jonnie Lee Higgins has looked very nice at Senior Bowl and he kind of fits the Patriots mold of Wide Receiver. Could be a good late rounder (3-4 round range).

The only WR I'd be okay with the Patriots drafting early would be Dwayne Bowe - I see a lot of Terrell Owens in him with MUCH BETTER hands and hopefully w/o the prima donna personality.

I agree with you on Paul Williams too, he could be a nice player. Aundrae Allison of ECU might be a good late round guy also, has size and good hands -- may be too much like Rhema though in that he lacks speed.

Times have changed folks!! This team has no time to let a player develop as before. Unless its a first round pick, the rooks only are signed to 4 year deals, with RFA after 3. Thats right folks. Kiss em goodby after 3. Which brings me to CJ. Either he is a.) a Bethel bust, at least to us or b.) he is one of those sports agent controlled players who is not gonna risk his big payday on his lousy rookie contract with the Pats. This type of player is going to become very common in this league now. This is how these guys are gonna do it. They will have all the tools coming into the draft. They will look great in mini camps and the beginning of training camp, then lo and behold:eek: injury. And not an ACL or anything concrete, either. We're talking groin, hammy, lower back:cool: From that point forward, the guy stays and practices with the team to keep learning, stay in shape, get some reps and not see squat in games (that would risk real injury). Year two shows a marked improvement from the previous season. This player is suddenly showing all of the potential that this team drafted him for. Yet something is still not quite there in terms of self sacrifice and drive to take him to that next level. Year 3 sees this player absolutley explode onto the scene. Pro Bowl material. Center of the hype machine. Then he becomes a RFA and says....show me the money. God I hope I am wrong, but CJ smells just like one of those kind of guys. More concerned about his future career and big payday than the good of the team. And I see lots of skill players coming out and doing the same. Why destroy your career on a low paying rookie contract? The sports agents have reached these kids thanks to the New CBA:(

Times have changed folks!! This team has no time to let a player develop as before. Unless its a first round pick, the rooks only are signed to 4 year deals, with RFA after 3. Thats right folks. Kiss em goodby after 3. Which brings me to CJ. Either he is a.) a Bethel bust, at least to us or b.) he is one of those sports agent controlled players who is not gonna risk his big payday on his lousy rookie contract with the Pats. This type of player is going to become very common in this league now. This is how these guys are gonna do it. They will have all the tools coming into the draft. They will look great in mini camps and the beginning of training camp, then lo and behold:eek: injury. And not an ACL or anything concrete, either. We're talking groin, hammy, lower back:cool: From that point forward, the guy stays and practices with the team to keep learning, stay in shape, get some reps and not see squat in games (that would risk real injury). Year two shows a marked improvement from the previous season. This player is suddenly showing all of the potential that this team drafted him for. Yet something is still not quite there in terms of self sacrifice and drive to take him to that next level. Year 3 sees this player absolutley explode onto the scene. Pro Bowl material. Center of the hype machine. Then he becomes a RFA and says....show me the money. God I hope I am wrong, but CJ smells just like one of those kind of guys. More concerned about his future career and big payday than the good of the team. And I see lots of skill players coming out and doing the same. Why destroy your career on a low paying rookie contract? The sports agents have reached these kids thanks to the New CBA:(

Not sure shirtsleeve - wouldn't 3 years of production ensure a bigger deal than one explosive year with a history of injury?

Or.........

Maybe he is a young kid who needed seasoning and really needed training campt to get his feet under him?

Or.........

Maybe he is a young kid who needed seasoning and really needed training campt to get his feet under him?

Exactly, that's all it is. He got hurt early, and hurt in the middle of the season, and it messed up his practice time and he never had a chance to get the timing he needed with everyone else. It's pretty simple...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back