PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Bye Week after the blowout - A good thing or bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
You know earlier in the year I was saying what a wonderful bye week we had last year in week 10 and when I saw the bye week come out this year in week 4, I freaked

Looking at the schedule in April,I thought this team was going to be on fire for 3 weeks and the bye would slow them down and was a horrible time for it,but now suddenly the blowout by the Dolphins leaves me the feeling that this bye week could actually be more of a help than the one last year.

This bye week will or at least should provide the team with getting some character and charisma back and trying to change the doubters minds that say this team is finished and which is stronger now in many minds with the Miami debacle.

So maybe what appeared in April to be a horrid bye week in week 4 for the Patriots may prove to be the 2 weeks rest and change of attitude that the team needs to make a run for it.

Right now because of the courtesy of a Dolphins whipping,I would not trade this bye week for any other week in the season and may be a godsend if the team can start winning some games better and consistently.

Do you like the bye week now or not? and did the blowout change your opinion of it?

Some may say the bye week may have the team dwell on mistakes more than they would like to hear, but I don't see it that way

You know earlier in the year I was saying what a wonderful bye week we had last year in week 10 and when I saw the bye week come out this year in week 4, I freaked

Looking at the schedule in April,I thought this team was going to be on fire for 3 weeks and the bye would slow them down and was a horrible time for it,but now suddenly the blowout by the Dolphins leaves me the feeling that this bye week could actually be more of a help than the one last year.

This bye week will or at least should provide the team with getting some character and charisma back and trying to change the doubters minds that say this team is finished and which is stronger now in many minds with the Miami debacle.

So maybe what appeared in April to be a horrid bye week in week 4 for the Patriots may prove to be the 2 weeks rest and change of attitude that the team needs to make a run for it.

Right now because of the courtesy of a Dolphins whipping,I would not trade this bye week for any other week in the season and may be a godsend if the team can start winning some games better and consistently.

Do you like the bye week now or not? and did the blowout change your opinion of it?

Some may say the bye week may have the team dwell on mistakes more than they would like to hear, but I don't see it that way

A week to regroup at this point is a good thing. Not as a fan (we get to stew over that loss for an extra week), but for the team's development.

If the team was clicking, a late bye is certainly better for recovery purposes. But the early bye may actually save a loss or two that might be the result of the team developing through actual game experience.

Last edited:
I wish it were a couple of weeks later so that the bye could be used to replace Cassell if needed.

This way we're more stuck with him before anybody knows whether he'll get it together and prove to be the right guy or not.

I think that outweighs other considerations.

Cassell doesn't need an extra week of practice right now anyway. He's had lots of practice. He needs game experience.

Actually the bye week could not have worked out better. It gave the team a chance to establish they could win with Cassel stepping in for Brady and they would lose if players and coaches and their largely veteran defense didn't continue to step up and rally around him.

Unlike fans teams don't have the luxury of dwelling or emotionally unraveling. They have to assess, correct and move on. A lot of the mistakes Sunday were related to focus, communications and fundamentals, a recurring theme since pre season. If you don't get those things straightened out once and for all they will dog you all season. This bye gave them a chance to revisit those things prior to having to move on to game planning for SF.

The early road trip with back to back games on the coast also may provide a silver lining now since the team is going to need to develop a bunker mentality to survive it's so-called home field advantage this season. That was something the Giants faced last year and in the end it served them well as they became self reliant road warriors.

Bad... if you're a horse, and you kick someone off and they get right back on, you need to kick them right off again.

Or something like that

It has to be a good thing. Time to regroup and make the necessary adjustments before heading out west.

On here, however, it's another week for the all the new "experts" to continue their emotional meltdown. :rolleyes:

Although it's never that great to have a bye so early, in this case I think it was a good thing. We needed some serious re-grouping after the Miami debacle. If past Pats teams are any indication, the fact that they had two weeks to think about how they were embarrassed on national tv by a sub-par Miami team should do wonders to fire them up. Looking forward to the SF game to see what they've been able to correct.

It's both. I think it's a good way to regroup but a bye week for Cassel after a loss might be a bad thing.

For the team, I think it worked out perfectly. A chance to regroup, a chance to implement any offensive adjustments they may want to put in (with Cassell in mind).
And from what I hear, they will be staying out west?
Time for the "Bunker Mentality".

For us, the fans, it sucks.
We get an extra week to stew over the loss.
And look at this board lately.
A wasteland of B.S.
Between the dumb threads, silly ideas, and bickering amongst ourselves, it's been...
not fun.

It's definately a good time.

Belichick can now work 24/7 for 2 weeks straight!:D J/k.

But the bye week now lets Belichick and company to make adjustments going forward.

Having the bye early in the season is a good thing. Now more than ever after that horrible game. Now the players and coaches can regroup and work harder on all parts of the game. Hopefully they will come out of it looking better that they did going into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back