PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Bruins and NHL 2011 Free Agency

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So the Bruins have won the Cup which is awesome! But they have their work cut out for them if they want to repeat. They have a few free agents who are leaving. But this freed up money also gives them a chance to improve.

Bruins Unrestricted FAs:
Shane Hnidy
Tomas Kaberle
Kirk MacDonald
Mark Recchi
Jeremy Reich
Michael Ryder
Nolan Schaefer
Wyatt Smith
Trent Whitfield

NEEDS:
1. Power play QB/Play making defenseman. The Bruins were a woeful 11.4% on the powerplay in the post season. Which was the 3rd worst of any team in the playoffs. They definitely made it hard on themselves to win games. In the regular season they didn't fare much better, scoring only 16.2% of the time, good for 20th in the league. This is a target area that needs a lot of improvement.

Typically a skillful defenseman QBs the powerplay. We expected Kaberle to be a Powerplay QB for us, but he didn't really come through with much. I expect Kaberle to be let go unless he accepts a serious paycut from his 4.25m salary.

2. Scoring winger. Mark Recchi is going to retire. The Bruins will also likely let Michael Ryder and his 20 goals walk out the door. Therefore a replacement winger is a need. Keeping in mind that the Bruins like their forwards to defend as well as score so we should focus on free agents who are good 2-way players.

Bruins' Recchi calls it a career after 3rd Cup - CBSSports.com

3. Skilled Center. The future of Marc Savard is uncertain. When healthy, he is capable of serving as a 1st line center. However he has suffered multiple concussions including one that knocked him out of participating in the playoffs. Savard hasn't been healthy in a while and at the age of 33, it is also uncertain if Savard can continue to produce at a high level.

Marc Savard's Situation Leaves Lingering Sadness Amid Bruins' Stanley Cup Celebration - Boston Bruins - NESN.com

4. 3rd string Goalie. The Bruins don't really have anyone behind Timmy Thomas and Tukka Rask waiting in Providence. At least not anybody with around a 90% save skill level who would be ready to step up right away. Expect the Bruins to sign a veteran netminder to serve this role.

Restricted and unrestricted free agent list for 2011/2012:
NHL free agents in 2011 and 2012 - ESPN

Lots of talent to choose from, but the Bruins must spend their money wisely to fit under the cap yet retain some flexibility for further moves down the road should they need it.

One possibility I could see happening is targeting Alexander Semin a year early.

NHL Trade Rumors: Is Trading Alexander Semin a Fix for the Capitals? | Bleacher Report

He isn't due for FA until 2012 but Washington is in need of cap relief, particularly if they want to resign their own young free agents such as Laich. Perhaps a deal could be offered to get Semin, a very talented winger who can fill the net and who has managed to stay on the plus side of the +/- ledger in three consecutive seasons.

Alexander Semin NHL & WHA Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

A knock against Semin is that he doesn't play well when disinterested. But a move to a Stanley Cup contender should give this prolific winger all the motivation he needs!

Go ahead and give your thoughts on what free agents you think the Bruins should target.

I think they will be quiet during free agency this year. So far some low end signings, nothing flashy. They seem to be looking into bringing back some of next years free agents.

I could see them looking to replenish more youth into the lines. Spooner,Caron,Knight and Hamill are coming along nicely. We also have Marchand and Sequin getting more experience.

Not to mention if by some good omen Savard's health should improve that would be like adding a really good free agent. I'd be open to letting him sit often the first couple of months and see how he feels. If he happens to retire I certainly support it though. Only he knows how he is really feeling.

As of right now, most of the top tier unrestricted free agents have been signed. Would of loved to have seen Simon Gagne come to Boston. He signed a cheap 2 yr 7 million deal with the Kings. Atleast he's out of our lives for awhile;) I thought that was quite affordable though.

Still some nice players out there to be had.

Alexander Semin resigns with the Caps 1 yr 6.7 million. Another scratch.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back