Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How do you view Brady's importance in '09?

• The season’s fortunes lie squarely on Brady’s shoulders

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • We can make a playoff run with O’Connell at QB

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • I’d feel better with a vet QB backup, a la Trent Green

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • I’ve got big concerns about the offensive line

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • This defense will dominate; an average offense will suffice

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
A lot of prognosticators are putting the Pats among early Super Bowl favorites for one reason only: the return of Tom Brady. My question is, where do the Pats go if the unthinkable happens again and Tom misses significant time in '09? Is this team constructed solidly enough to succeed without him and make it to the playoffs, or does it depend too much on Tom to carry the load? What can be done/should be done via insurance for this offense? Is the offensive line solid enough? Do we need a veteran backup QB in place? To me, it looks like we enter 2009 in the same position as 2008, "hoping" the defense improves, the offensive line more or less the same as in 2007, and with unproven QB depth.

All I can say, is -- stay healthy Tom. And, in BB we trust.

Do we need a veteran backup QB in place? To me, it looks like we enter 2009 in the same position as 2008, "hoping" the defense improves, the offensive line more or less the same as in 2007, and with unproven QB depth.

All I can say, is -- stay healthy Tom. And, in BB we trust.

If BB felt a veteran QB were that important, he'd have signed one by now.

In BB and KO'C I trust.

If BB felt a veteran QB were that important, he'd have signed one by now.

I know, this is shaping up same as last year where not many folks really believed Cassel could do the job. That makes it easier to "believe" in O'Connell.

The O-Line is more important going into this year than any other year this decade, IMHO. They're widely regarded as the reason for the SB debacle and they didn't look at all good last year. If they keep Brady clean, then we're in business. If not, then . . .:ugh:

The O-Line is more important going into this year than any other year this decade, IMHO. They're widely regarded as the reason for the SB debacle and they didn't look at all good last year. If they keep Brady clean, then we're in business. If not, then . . .:ugh:

That's why I threw the O-line question into the poll. I'm concerned whether enough has been done to address depth, especially at tackle. Tom is now past the midpoint of his career, and Moss doesn't have many years left. For making a run at the Super Bowl, the future definitely is "now" for this lineup.

Last edited:
That's why I threw the O-line question into the poll. I'm concerned whether enough has been done to address depth, especially at tackle. Tom is now past the midpoint of his career, and Moss doesn't have many years left. For making a run at the Super Bowl, the future definitely is "now" for this lineup.
thanks for letting us know that, i thought we were in a rebuiding mode

I'd say its a good team with or without Brady. But the reality is, we had an excellent backup QB last season, with one of the easiest schedules we could ask for, in a season where there were not any truly great teams, and we still didn't make the playoffs. So I would say, yes, we need a healthy Brady to compete for a championship.

That's a pretty loaded group of answers. I feel that the season lies squarely on Brady's shoulders, but at the same time, I voted for I would feel better with a veteran back up. I'm still waiting to see if Brian Griese makes his way to New England. It's not that I doubt O'Connell, but I would feel better about it if we have someone with some success at the NFL level.

Last year, yes, Cassel did the job, but after week one I believe most of us would have felt better with a guy like Leftwich at the helm.

it lies on bradys shoulders mainly. sure, we could win 7 or 8 games with oconnel but we wont be serious challengers with that guy.

I think the Pats can make the playoffs with O'Connell at QB. They nearly did (and in most cases, would have) with Cassel at QB, and that was with a so-so defense. If the defense plays better, which I believe it will, then I can easily see them making the postseason with O'Connell. I don't think they can win it all without Brady though.

That's a pretty loaded group of answers. I feel that the season lies squarely on Brady's shoulders, but at the same time, I voted for I would feel better with a veteran back up. I'm still waiting to see if Brian Griese makes his way to New England. It's not that I doubt O'Connell, but I would feel better about it if we have someone with some success at the NFL level.

Last year, yes, Cassel did the job, but after week one I believe most of us would have felt better with a guy like Leftwich at the helm.

Hell no. They were willing to trust Cassel with the backup job since 2006, with no serious attempt at competition, so why would I want them to bring in a veteran if they clearly felt Cassel was capable of leading the team?

Without Brady, and without another veteran QB to steady the team, Patriots fans could all just go fishing and hunting. This isn't the '08 schedule.

really, i'm done with all the "well.... we made the playoffs and got eliminated with oconnel at qb, it was a great season!" Naw man, I want a superbowl.

It seems to me that a great many posters here are imbued with a sense of entitlement concerning the Patriots and the success of the team. I recall a time when making the playoffs was a forlorn hope, not expected. Don't get me wrong, I want the team to excel and SB's are great accomplishments. But let's remember that there are 31 other teams that want the same thing as badly as us......

I like to take it one game at a time, things happen, injuries, funny bounces, questionable calls, etc.....

If in the end it adds up to a playoff berth and then a SB. I salute that years version of the class that is "The New England Patriots"!

If not, life goes on..... albeit somewhat less satisfyingly!

Especially when it's the Steelers who are champs.... I hate that team!

There are two choices in this poll that I consider not likely to happen if Brady went down again.

O'Connell to put the Pats in the playoffs (another Cassel type year but even better would be near impossible) and the Defense to dominate (nearly the entire secondary is new,not going to happen we need to hope that they can just hold down the fort)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye