PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Bowl Game Season

I watched some of that game and in their defense, at least for Lee and Woods, its got to be super frustrating to be the most explosive players on that field and not have the opportunity to get the ball in their hands.

The QB play was preposterous. My sister could have pitched a better game.

On another note, maybe this allows Woods to fall late into the second where we'll snag him. He could make a difference right away.

As a side note, Dexter McCoil got burned by play action TD today. Wasnt even close.

Would that not make you wonder how they will handle it in the NFL? What if they get drafted by the Jags or Chiefs?? You're not going to be on a stacked team once you get to the NFL. USC has a talent advantage over almost everybody they play. Didn't handle adversity too well this year. I don't mean Lee and Woods. Their program as a whole

A lot of us have wondered why BB tends to shy away from USC players. I think their act this week in El Paso shows why. Indifferent attitude and effort when things didn't go their way. Too good for Sun Bowl. I recall Luck and Stanford playing their a few years ago against OU. Miami and Notre Dame. Just not good enough for USC. Blow off a dinner set up by the bowl committee. Disrespectful bastards. Oh, Ga Tech broke a 7 game bowl losing streak to beat them 21-7. #karma

Watching the Georgia Tech FB run up the gut for 40 yards on those Cali boys was epic.

So who's watching the games today? I'll be going through to 4 or 5AM UK time tonight so hoping for some company.

So who's watching the games today? I'll be going through to 4 or 5AM UK time tonight so hoping for some company.

I'll probably see most of the Rose Bowl but I need to be up before 7:30am tomorrow.

If there's college football on, I'll be watching. Jan 1st was my favorite holiday. Dragging out these bowl games has ruined the build up for it. I still like it. But, nothing like I used to. Want to see how Georgia plays. Tons of prospects. Same with South Carolina/Michigan. Has any college player fallen further from the limelight than Denard Robinson? Two years ago, he was it. Now, oh I didn't realize he was still at Michigan. Can he become a Percy Harvin type? I'm intrigued to see if he can catch the ball. FSU has a ton of talent. Some is hurt now. But, always an interesting watch. I want to see this Menekal Watson - RT.

If there's college football on, I'll be watching. Jan 1st was my favorite holiday. Dragging out these bowl games has ruined the build up for it. I still like it. But, nothing like I used to. Want to see how Georgia plays. Tons of prospects. Same with South Carolina/Michigan. Has any college player fallen further from the limelight than Denard Robinson? Two years ago, he was it. Now, oh I didn't realize he was still at Michigan. Can he become a Percy Harvin type? I'm intrigued to see if he can catch the ball. FSU has a ton of talent. Some is hurt now. But, always an interesting watch. I want to see this Menekal Watson - RT.

I want to focus on their DT's. All the emphasis is on Werner and Carradine but they have a couple of draft eligible DT's and Jernigan is supposedly highly rated for the future.

I'm mainly interested in the Rose Bowl. Trent Murphy is very high on my binky list, and if he comes out he's my #1 alternative to Ziggy Ansah as a LDE.

Tony Pauline previews prospects from New Year's bowl games:

NFL Draft prospects to watch in bowl games: Part 3 - NFL - Tony Pauline - SI.com

He lists David Amerson as a 3rd round pick. If Amerson drops that far, I'd love to pick him up and pair him with McCourty at safety.

CBS have Amerson in the third too.

It won't be a serious part of BB's decision making process but his Father is in the Navy. I wonder if that would hold any sway for BB. We know his love for Navy and prospects with that type of responsibility and approach.

Anyway, that aside, a playmaker like Amerson starts having really good value in the 3rd.

Our 3rd rounder is 92-94. If a prospect falls to 75. He's a 3rd rounder. Well out of shot from us. Especially, since we have no ammo to move up. Unless you want to trade next years picks. Means we can get him in the 2nd 60-62 if we want him.

Our 3rd rounder is 92-94. If a prospect falls to 75. He's a 3rd rounder. Well out of shot from us. Especially, since we have no ammo to move up. Unless you want to trade next years picks. Means we can get him in the 2nd 60-62 if we want him.

Or if we trade back from 30-32. According to the trade value chart, #32 is worth 590 points. #50 is worth 400. Trade back from 32 to around 50 and pick up something like 82 (180 points; Dallas has 50 and 82 right now) and you have roughly equal value. Amerosn is ranked #83 according to NFL DraftScout.

Give me:

50. Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU (57). Or Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford (NR) if he declares.
62. Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon St. (56)
82. David Amerson, DB, North Carolina St. (83)
94. Brian Winters, OL, Kent St. (114)

Figure out a way to snag DT Brandon Williams from Missouri Southern (141) and OT Reid Fragel from Ohio St. (160) and I'm very, very happy.

Last edited:

Or trade back from our 2nd rounder. Or trade back in the first and pick up a third. Or....

With BB pretty much anything is possible.

Or if we trade back from 30-32. According to the trade value chart, #32 is worth 590 points. #50 is worth 400. Trade back from 32 to 50 and pick up something like 82 (180 points) and you have roughly equal value. Amerosn is ranked #83 according to NFL DraftScout.

Give me:

50. Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU (57).
52. Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon St. (56)
82. David Amerson, DB, North Carolina St. (83)
94. Brian Winters, OL, Kent St. (114)

Figure out a way to snag DT Brandon Williams from Missouri Southern (141) and OT Reid Fragel from Ohio St. (160) and I'm very, very happy.

Has announced he's returning to BYU. If we don't pick up a LB this year, he will probably be my first rounder in my first 2014 mock.

Has announced he's returning to BYU. If we don't pick up a LB this year, he will probably be my first rounder in my first 2014 mock.

I still like Anthony Barr. Lot of good players for 2014:

- Jadeveon Clowney*, DE
- Stephon Tuitt*, DE
- Trent Murphy, DE (if he doesn't declare)
- Louis Nix*, DT
- Kyle Van Noy, OLB
- Anthony Barr, OLB
- CJ Mosley, OLB
- Austin Seferian-Jenkins*, TE
- Marquise Lee*, WR
- Sammy Watkins*, WR
- DeAnthony Thompson*, RB/WR

Just to name a few.

I still like Anthony Barr. Lot of good players for 2014:

- Jadeveon Clowney*, DE
- Stephon Tuitt*, DE
- Trent Murphy, DE (if he doesn't declare)
- Louis Nix*, DT
- Kyle Van Noy, OLB
- Anthony Barr, OLB
- CJ Mosley, OLB
- Austin Seferian-Jenkins*, TE
- Marquise Lee*, WR
- Sammy Watkins*, WR
- DeAnthony Thompson*, RB/WR

Just to name a few.

Meaning to ask you about this. You say you won't draft a WR in the first round. Knowing how much you like ASJ, would you draft him in the first? And if so why. Why a TE and not a WR?

Not trying to trick you, just interested.

Edit: I just really like Van Noy. Has a Patriot attitude. Forgot about Nix though.

Last edited:
Meaning to ask you about this. You say you won't draft a WR in the first round. Knowing how much you like ASJ, would you draft him in the first? And if so why. Why a TE and not a WR?

Not trying to trick you, just interested.

Edit: I just really like Van Noy. Has a Patriot attitude. Forgot about Nix though.

I love Van Noy. Would be perfectly happy with him. And I didn't include Ogletree, who will probably come out, but could also be in the mix.

My top 3 guys for 2014 right now would be Stephon Tuitt, Louis Nix and Austin Seferian-Jenkins. I had Tuitt and Seferian-Jenkins both listed as guys for 2014 in my "Blueprint" thread. I consider TEs to be much more versatile than WRs, and more valuable to the offense. Having Seferian-Jenkins and Gronk at the same time would make the Pats' offense indefensible, IMHO. No one could match up with it. Run a true 2-TE set with those guys and split Hernandez out wide with Welker, and put a flex back like Vereen out of the backfield who can also receive, and I dare an offense to find the personnel to match up. Seferian-Jenkins won't last, but I'd grab him in an instant.

Also high on my list for 2014 (and included in the extended OP of my Blueprint thread) are RB/WR DeAnthony Thompson of Oregon and QB AJ McCarron.

Along with the trade back options, if none of the obvious value guys (Cooper, Ansah, Hankins, Williams) last to our pick and someone wants to offer a 2014 1st plus a 3rd, I'd be happy to do that trade and have the ammo to move up or double up in 2014. It all depends on the available values vs. the offers.

I love Van Noy. Would be perfectly happy with him. And I didn't include Ogletree, who will probably come out, but could also be in the mix.

My top 3 guys for 2014 right now would be Stephon Tuitt, Louis Nix and Austin Seferian-Jenkins. I had Tuitt and Seferian-Jenkins both listed as guys for 2014 in my "Blueprint" thread. I consider TEs to be much more versatile than WRs, and more valuable to the offense. Having Seferian-Jenkins and Gronk at the same time would make the Pats' offense indefensible, IMHO. No one could match up with it. Run a true 2-TE set with those guys and split Hernandez out wide with Welker, and put a flex back like Vereen out of the backfield who can also receive, and I dare an offense to find the personnel to match up. Seferian-Jenkins won't last, but I'd grab him in an instant.

Also high on my list for 2014 (and included in the extended OP of my Blueprint thread) are RB/WR DeAnthony Thompson of Oregon and QB AJ McCarron.

Along with the trade back options, if none of the obvious value guys (Cooper, Ansah, Hankins, Williams) last to our pick and someone wants to offer a 2014 1st plus a 3rd, I'd be happy to do that trade and have the ammo to move up or double up in 2014. It all depends on the available values vs. the offers.

If they re-sign Vollmer, Talib and Welker, I can see BB using this draft to start accumulating picks again with plenty of trading back.

If they re-sign Vollmer, Talib and Welker, I can see BB using this draft to start accumulating picks again with plenty of trading back.

Yeah, it all depends upon the values.

How about this scenario:

1. Pats trade 32 (590 points) to Dallas for 82 and either 50 (580 points) or a 2014 1st. In the former case, they flip 50 to someone for a 2014 1st. I could see Dallas making a move like that. They almost made the playoffs this year and will get one of their best players - Sean Lee - back next year. They need OL help badly, and they could pick up someone like Lane Johnson, Barrett Jones or Dallas Thomas at 32 who they couldn't get close to at 50. OL is their biggest need. Add a talent at 18 (maybe an OG like Cooper or Warmack or an OT like Lewan or Fisher if they're going to go all in on the OL, or snag Ziggy Ansah ahead of the Giants to pair with DeMarcus Ware) and they'll see themselves as ready to compete in the NFC East.

2. Pats pick up WR Markus Wheaton at 62, DB David Amerson at 82, and OL Brian Winters at 94. They add some late round help, and maybe figure out a way to snag an extra pick or so. But mainly they re-sign Welker, Talib, Vollmer and their other FAs, work on their cap situation, and let the current team build on experience and continuity.

3. Pats go into 2014 with 2 1sts and a 2nd. Maybe they trade Ryan Mallett for some 2014 picks, especially if they can get Matt Cassel cheaply in FA. Teams are often willing to give up for in the future for a chance to win now.

With that kind of ammo, the Pats would be re-stocked for another draft haul in 2014 and beyond. They could go after any combination of guys like Tuitt, Nix, Seferian-Jenkins, Thompson, McCarron, Van Noy, Barr and Murphy.

I'm happy to snag an Ansah, Cooper, Hankins or Williams now. Value is value, and impact is impact. But otherwise, that's a nice way to go if the Pats can get that kind of offer.

Yeah, it all depends upon the values.

How about this scenario:

1. Pats trade 32 (590 points) to Dallas for 82 and either 50 (580 points) or a 2014 1st. In the former case, they flip 50 to someone for a 2014 1st. I could see Dallas making a move like that. They almost made the playoffs this year and will get one of their best players - Sean Lee - back next year. They need OL help badly, and they could pick up someone like Lane Johnson, Barrett Jones or Dallas Thomas at 32 who they couldn't get close to at 50. OL is their biggest need. Add a talent at 18 (maybe an OG like Cooper or Warmack or an OT like Lewan or Fisher if they're going to go all in on the OL, or snag Ziggy Ansah ahead of the Giants to pair with DeMarcus Ware) and they'll see themselves as ready to compete in the NFC East.

2. Pats pick up WR Markus Wheaton at 62, DB David Amerson at 82, and OL Brian Winters at 94. They add some late round help, and maybe figure out a way to snag an extra pick or so. But mainly they re-sign Welker, Talib, Vollmer and their other FAs, work on their cap situation, and let the current team build on experience and continuity.

3. Pats go into 2014 with 2 1sts and a 2nd. Maybe they trade Ryan Mallett for some 2014 picks, especially if they can get Matt Cassel cheaply in FA. Teams are often willing to give up for in the future for a chance to win now.

With that kind of ammo, the Pats would be re-stocked for another draft haul in 2014 and beyond. They could go after any combination of guys like Tuitt, Nix, Seferian-Jenkins, Thompson, McCarron, Van Noy, Barr and Murphy.

I'm happy to snag an Ansah, Cooper, Hankins or Williams now. Value is value, and impact is impact. But otherwise, that's a nice way to go if the Pats can get that kind of offer.

I'd take that. It would be nice to get a clear cut round one talent but I do think it a good idea to get back to stocking up on picks. And Wheaton, Amerson Winters would make a really nice addition to depth with high round upside.

Im still hoping Lynch declares next year and we snag him somehow. Another 2014 first is more than welcome.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back