PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

the board should be overjoyed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know. Not being negative, but is McCorty really the guy we had targeted from the beginning?? Value, shmalue, I think we sat and waited for a guy or 2 to fall to us(not wanting to pay for trading up) and they didnt(Gresham or Spoon?) so we traded back and gained that "HOLY MISSING 3rd!"....We have the ammo to move up to get who we wanted that didnt play CB and we didnt. Did we fear making a bigger hole between 53 and the bottom?? What are the chances of #119 making an impact or making the team altogether?? I'm in favor of improving the high end talent on this team and filling in the bottom with jags.....I'm afraid all we did was improve our middle class players....

a poster on the SOSH board who has an inside source posted before the draft that Pouncey & McCourty are the 2 guys the Pats were targeting in the 1st. So when Pouncey came off the board McCourty was their #1 target. Most GM's would be happy & simply take their guy @22 but BB got us an extra 3rd by trading to 2 spots before McCourty was gonna go ( Jets were gonna take him @29 )

BB is by far the best trader in the NFL ( & a top 5 drafter )

Golden Tate too... yeah, deep WR draft. Good DE/OLB prospects still left.

I've got a little secret - I understand the "invisible" special teams pickup value. You don't pick up a 1st rounder JUST for special teams, or at least you shouldn't. But getting the best STer in the draft if you think he's got promise at his position too is defensible.

That's one reason I still think Kindle is going to end up in a Pats uniform, just way lower. It ain't sexy but that seems to be the unifying logic at work behind many of the Pats' picks in the past few years.
If we can get Tate at 44, I'll forget about Bryant quickly

I wanted BPA last night because we have three #2s. It gave us the chance to get a guy we really liked knowing we still have 3 picks from the second round buffet. It's all good, I'd love a pass rusher and a WR. Then for 2c and 3 I could be talked into a WR, RB or more pass rushing. There's a TON out there still.
I wanted the best BA pass rusher, we haven't had a good pass rusher in a couple of years. One of the most frustrating things to watch is the opposing QB standing in the pocket with all day to pass. I think mccourty is a fine pick at CB, but imo CB isn't nearly the need that a pass rusher was/ is. I had no problem not taking Bryant, i think he'll implode in Dallas.

Last edited:
I wanted the best BA pass rusher, we haven't had a good pass rusher in a couple of years. One of the most frustrating things to watch is the opposing QB standing in the pocket with all day to pass. I think mccourty is a fine pick at CB, but imo CB isn't nearly the need that a pass rusher was/ is.
I don't think the right guy was there. Whether is was injurues (Kindle, Sapp, Wooten), short arms and height (Hughes), work ethic and attitude (Griffen, Dunlap), etc, the RIGHT guy wasn't there.

Meanwhile most of them are still available, we'll likely take one as the risk gets lower with 2nd round picks vs. 1st round.

I don't think the right guy was there. Whether is was injurues (Kindle, Sapp, Wooten), short arms and height (Hughes), work ethic and attitude (Griffen, Dunlap), etc, the RIGHT guy wasn't there.

Meanwhile most of them are still available, we'll likely take one as the risk gets lower with 2nd round picks vs. 1st round.
The only one i would have taken was Hughes. Next fall when Hughes is chasing down Brady those two inches aren't going to mean much.

The only one i would have taken was Hughes. Next fall when Hughes is chasing down Brady those two inches aren't going to mean much.
Bruschi explained why arm length is important in LB disengaging, we play a different defense than the Colts; I'm sure Hughes was on our board but playing OLB for us is difficult if your arms are short.

Compare his style to Jacksonville, they took a guy at 10 they could of had in the late 20's ( still a reach ) & their GM said "nobody called us about trading down." :confused: yet the next 3 picks in a row were all trades :bricks:

Someone needs to inform their GM phones can dial out as well as receive.

I have a client in Jacksonville (who has the biggest man crush on Tebow btw) who informed me about what the Jags said about nobody calling, I couldn't help but laugh as he told me this over the phone this morning.

Hughes is absolutely perfect for Indy's system. That's a great pick for them. I don't know if he could set the edge, cover TEs and play the run effectively enough to succeed here, though. His pass rushing skills are very, very good, that's undeniable, but that doesn't warrant a first round pick in our system. If we are picking an OLB in the first round it should be a guy who can play all three downs. Even if he's not exceptional at any of the requisites for the position, he's got to be able to do everything well.

I was SURE the pick was gonna be an OLB, I mean Positive! Just like last year when I thought it was gonna be Matthews. Shows me how much I don't know.

McCourty, however does represent good value at #27 and picking up #90 in the bargain. I saw McCourty on several mocks in the mid to upper 20's to low second round.

All and all I can't complain. I fully expect one of our second rounders traded for a veteran player. Which one you ask? I have NO EARTHLY IDEA!

Tonight should be interesting and intriguing to say the least. 3 and half hours till the show begins................

BTW: I love reading all of your posts here and appreciate all your passion/comments/analysis/commentary/ etc.......:cool:

Last edited:
If there wasn't trade downs at 11,12 & 13 I might believe him. He more than likely stupidly decided he wasn't going to take any penny less than the "value chart" indicated. According to the chart the Eagles made out well with their trade up to 13 ( giving up 2 3rds ) if he turned down an offer like that he is a fool.
Yes, but teams may have been concerned with what agents will demand for slot #10, which was the point I was trying to articulate. I don't know the guy, he was brought in to help Jacksonville clean up their locker room, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

we got our "missing" 3rd rounder back!

Unlike many I like the McCourty pick, there are now zero good corners left on the board & plenty of good WR's, TE's, OLB's & DE's for us in round 2.

Our trades actually netted us +52 point value on the draft chart which = a 4th round pick (#121).

I love the way BB works the draft board he traded back extracting extra value till he got just in front of all the teams who were looking for CB's.

Compare his style to Jacksonville, they took a guy at 10 they could of had in the late 20's ( still a reach ) & their GM said "nobody called us about trading down." :confused: yet the next 3 picks in a row were all trades :bricks:

I agree with everything you stated; just switch Kyle Wilson instead of McCourty, and I too will consider it as good a first round as could have been expected, when taking whom the other teams drafted into consideration.

we got our "missing" 3rd rounder back!

Unlike many I like the McCourty pick, there are now zero good corners left on the board & plenty of good WR's, TE's, OLB's & DE's for us in round 2.

Our trades actually netted us +52 point value on the draft chart which = a 4th round pick (#121).

I love the way BB works the draft board he traded back extracting extra value till he got just in front of all the teams who were looking for CB's.

too funny!

I am one HAPPY Patriots fan.
But are you objective? :bricks:

I liked Butler last year, also. And I am happy to get a CB.

Three good CBs and a pair a good Safeties will improve any pass rush.

Now I am hoping for a DL/DE, a WR, a TE and an OLB with tonight's picks

But are you objective? :bricks:

I liked Butler last year, also. And I am happy to get a CB.

Three good CBs and a pair a good Safeties will improve any pass rush.

Now I am hoping for a DL/DE, a WR, a TE and an OLB with tonight's picks
Objective? I believe he's an Associate Justice now. :p

a poster on the SOSH board who has an inside source posted before the draft that Pouncey & McCourty are the 2 guys the Pats were targeting in the 1st. So when Pouncey came off the board McCourty was their #1 target. Most GM's would be happy & simply take their guy @22 but BB got us an extra 3rd by trading to 2 spots before McCourty was gonna go ( Jets were gonna take him @29 )

BB is by far the best trader in the NFL ( & a top 5 drafter )

UMMMM-NO. BB is the best COACH in the league, no question. He is a good trader backwards, and he is only questionable when it comes to GM. He has proven he can win with spit and shinola in the defensive backfield so I dont understand the impatience...
If he was going to get Pouncey he had the ammo to trade up...but didnt.No excuse.
If he was planning to get McC why sign Bodden to a big money contract? Do you think that Butler is only a NICKEL?? Do you think Wheatley CANT play NICKEL??
All these factors are related no? One reflects the other! If you think this was a good pick you must ASSUME that Butler and Wheatley are bad picks! Not every position can have a first round pick starting there, we NEED some 2nd round picks to START, not be nickel and dime backs!!

UMMMM-NO. BB is the best COACH in the league, no question. He is a good trader backwards, and he is only questionable when it comes to GM. He has proven he can win with spit and shinola in the defensive backfield so I dont understand the impatience...
If he was going to get Pouncey he had the ammo to trade up...but didnt.No excuse.
If he was planning to get McC why sign Bodden to a big money contract? Do you think that Butler is only a NICKEL?? Do you think Wheatley CANT play NICKEL??
All these factors are related no? One reflects the other! If you think this was a good pick you must ASSUME that Butler and Wheatley are bad picks! Not every position can have a first round pick starting there, we NEED some 2nd round picks to START, not be nickel and dime backs!!

Nickleback plays more snaps than NT so I'm not sure why you don't think thats important :confused:. Yes I don't think Wheatley can play nickle & neither does BB it seems hence the 1st round pick of corner. Obviously Wheatley wasn't a good draft pick, I'm sure BB wishes he picked someone else but you cant hit on every pick. I rather have BB admit his mistakes rather than keep putting failed high round picks on the field.

The Jets have been one of the best drafting teams the last 5 years, they have the best corner in the league & just traded for Travis Henry JR ( Crom ) & even with OLB their biggest need they decided to take a "nickel" corner as well.

Having 3 good CB's is important, if McCourty works out we should have a top 3 secondary in the league.

Nickleback plays more snaps than NT so I'm not sure why you don't think thats important :confused:. Yes I don't think Wheatley can play nickle & neither does BB it seems hence the 1st round pick of corner. Obviously Wheatley wasn't a good draft pick, I'm sure BB wishes he picked someone else but you cant hit on every pick. I rather have BB admit his mistakes rather than keep putting failed high round picks on the field.

The Jets have been one of the best drafting teams the last 5 years, they have the best corner in the league & just traded for Travis Henry JR ( Crom ) & even with OLB their biggest need they decided to take a "nickel" corner as well.

Having 3 good CB's is important, if McCourty works out we should have a top 3 secondary in the league.

First--some trivia--NAME ME THE LAST 2nd or 3rd rd pick to start a game for the Pats besides Butler(who just lost his job) and Kaczur! Something to chew on while we dream tonite......

Now its not just Wheatley, look at that whole draft! OC is gone, Crable never made a snap, Wilhite is fodder, Slater is a whipping boy. Yes, the Jesters have drafted well but Revis is the best corner in the league in part because of the pass rush that alters accuracy letting him make those picks! And BTW, we dont draft a CB because we are scared of the JEST taking him after us! I hope not anyways!

First--some trivia--NAME ME THE LAST 2nd or 3rd rd pick to start a game for the Pats besides Butler(who just lost his job) and Kaczur! Something to chew on while we dream tonite....

Sebastian Vollmer. What do I win?

I didn't understand the overreaction by New England fans last night on the radio. Because these will be the same fans who will turnaround and like him if he becomes a starter in a few seasons. Personally, I'm somewhat surprised that the choice in the first round was a corner back. However, I didn't want a wide receiver in the first round, and I knew Belichick would do what he could to acquire a third round pick. I mean this is supposed to be a deep draft.

So no, I'm not upset over the drafting of McCourty. The only thing I wonder is, would he have been available in the second round. If not, I can live with where he [McCourty] was selected. What I like about him right away is that he could possibly contribute as a rookie on special teams. Admittedly, you expect a first round pick to be an immediate starter. However, some rookies prove to be ready. While others aren't...

Actually, this draft reminds me of last year's draft in that the topic was linebackers. Fans were high on either Maualuga and Laurinaitis. This year it's about defensive ends. But New England decided to go in a different direction in both instances. People were upset then, and they're upset now.

I've learn to just wait and see. I remember last year I was wondering who the heck is Vollmer. Well, he turn out to be a good pick, so far. But, they could've had Oher in the first round.

I didn't understand the overreaction by New England fans last night on the radio. Because these will be the same fans who will turnaround and like him if he becomes a starter in a few seasons. Personally, I'm somewhat surprised that the choice in the first round was a corner back. However, I didn't want a wide receiver in the first round, and I knew Belichick would do what he could to acquire a third round pick. I mean this is supposed to be a deep draft.

So no, I'm not upset over the drafting of McCourty. The only thing I wonder is, would he have been available in the second round. If not, I can live with where he [McCourty] was selected. What I like about him right away is that he could possibly contribute as a rookie on special teams. Admittedly, you expect a first round pick to be an immediate starter. However, some rookies prove to be ready. While others aren't...

Actually, this draft reminds me of last year's draft in that the topic was linebackers. Fans were high on either Maualuga and Laurinaitis. This year it's about defensive ends. But New England decided to go in a different direction in both instances. People were upset then, and they're upset now.

I've learn to just wait and see. I remember last year I was wondering who the heck is Vollmer. Well, he turn out to be a good pick, so far. But, they could've had Oher in the first round.
After NE took McCourty at 27:
29 -- NYJ Kyle Wilson
30 -- MIN Reported to be looking for a CB (both they and the Jest had McCourty in for a visit), they traded out of the first round.
32 -- NO Patrick Robinson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back