PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The bleh Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amazing to me that if we had drafted Rivers at #7 everyone would have been thrilled, even though Rivers was a role player and not even close to the best player in his D.

We took a bigger, smarter, more versatile player at #10 earning an extra 3rd rounder in the process.

Actually I don't think Rivers would have fit the Pats defense. Too small, and reportedly a low IQ. Plus he never stood out on a USC defense that had several defensive stars. If you take a guy top 10, you want him to stand out in some way. Mayo is smarter and just as fast as Rivers, plus 140 tackles in a season is pretty impressive. No problem with the pick, just think he was more of a #15 slot guy. Although I am hearing now, it was possible that the Broncos would have reached for him at #12... so who knows.

I am very disapointed that the Pats didn't make a move for Quentin Groves in the second round. The Pats pass rush is soft and Groves could've improved that. Then to find out that the Jags only swapped 2nd rounders and gave up a fifth round pick makes me sick. The Pats could've grabbed a midget corner in the begining of the third round instead of the second. I guess we'll find out next season.

I would have really liked to land Groves as well, but the Pats never made a move up in the 2nd although there were plenty of good corner/rushing prospects available, not to mention the Pats had the pick stockpile to move up easily. I guess we'll have to hope they take Avril in the 3rd. I doubt very much that the Pats use all of their 3rd round picks though. Expect at least one of them to be traded for a future pick or a vet that can help this year.

Last edited:
Actually I don't think Rivers would have fit the Pats defense. Too small, and reportedly a low IQ. Plus he never stood out on a USC defense that had several defensive stars. If you take a guy top 10, you want him to stand out in some way. Mayo is smarter and just as fast as Rivers, plus 140 tackles in a season is pretty impressive. No problem with the pick, just think he was more of a #15 slot guy. Although I am hearing now, it was possible that the Broncos would have reached for him at #12... so who knows.

Sorry to parse one word from your comments, but if the Broncos had him as their highest rated player @ 12, and reportedly, the Lions had him as their highest rated player @ 15, how would he have been a reach?

Per published reports Groves has a questionable work ethic and is not great at the point of attack..
Points that Mayo was a reach, as others pointed out, is a joke. Denver and Detriot who need lb help sitting a few spots behind the pats.. Both teams had trouble stopping the run and tackling up the middle (detriot loss bailey and leihman)..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes