PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The bleh Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

fumbrunner

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Lots of discussion here prior to the draft about the possibility of Gholston, Groves, all those great CBs. Anyone else kinda dissapointed about how the first two rounds have progressed? I like Mayo, but thinking that Gholston may have dropped to seven if Al Davis had any marbles left drives me nuts.

And then we hear about all the great prospects at CB, all drafted one by one as the pats watched.

And then we see Groves there for the taking in the middle of the second round and the Pats didnt make a move.

In Bill and Pioli we trust, but it sure made for a boring two rounds.

Lots of discussion here prior to the draft about the possibility of Gholston, Groves, all those great CBs. Anyone else kinda dissapointed about how the first two rounds have progressed? I like Mayo, but thinking that Gholston may have dropped to seven if Al Davis had any marbles left drives me nuts.

And then we hear about all the great prospects at CB, all drafted one by one as the pats watched.

And then we see Groves there for the taking in the middle of the second round and the Pats didnt make a move.

In Bill and Pioli we trust, but it sure made for a boring two rounds.

hahahahahaha.

Well, there are really only two logical explanations:

(1) There wasn't anyone the Pats felt a need to move up for, or
(2) There wasn't anyone willing to make a deal the Pats were willing to accept.

Yeah, i'm not too happy so far. I'm fine with Mayo, but no Groves, Cason, or D.Jackson. I really had high expectations this year because last year's draft sucked so much.

Maybe you should watch NASCAR as it is less bleh...

This is a classic Pioli/Belichick draft. Somehow, they take a first rounder that no one knows much about, as if the player was alergic to hype, and B.B. is thrilled about it. Then, they follow that up by taking a player that Elvis Kiper slotted for the 4th round (like his opinion means more than any other draft nerd).

The 2nd round selection is more of a shock to me though. I have no idea who this guy is. We'll know what his favorite color is by the end of the week.

Maybe you should watch NASCAR as it is less bleh...

So, you are completely content with the two players that the Pats selected? and those that they passed up by not trading down?

So, you are completely content with the two players that the Pats selected? and those that they passed up by not trading down?

I said all along that Wheatley was the best fit for the Pats defense. I had questions about the damage in his wrist.

As for Mayo however, totally making me sick. At least the ST willbe improved with him.

Absolutely.

I said all along that Wheatley was the best fit for the Pats defense. I had questions about the damage in his wrist.

As for Mayo however, totally making me sick. At least the ST willbe improved with him.

Gotta love all these people convinced they know more about football and football players than BB and Pioli.

Nothing personal--just an observation.

I love both picks and think we have two very solid players.....

FRom Wheatley's coach at Colorado

"It is awesome to have him in the return game, too, because we know how fast he is and now that his wrist is healed up and it's not as big a problem as it was last year, he can do some great things there. But he is a great kid, he really is."

It's amazing to me that if we had drafted Rivers at #7 everyone would have been thrilled, even though Rivers was a role player and not even close to the best player in his D.

We took a bigger, smarter, more versatile player at #10 earning an extra 3rd rounder in the process.

It's just like the Seymour pick. And the Mankins pick. Fans who were convinced that they had the answer, and didn't know a thing about the player the Pats chose, cant do anything but grouse.

Last edited:
I am very disapointed that the Pats didn't make a move for Quentin Groves in the second round. The Pats pass rush is soft and Groves could've improved that. Then to find out that the Jags only swapped 2nd rounders and gave up a fifth round pick makes me sick. The Pats could've grabbed a midget corner in the begining of the third round instead of the second. I guess we'll find out next season.

Last edited:
I am very disapointed that the Pats didn't make a move for Quentin Groves in the second round. The Pats pass rush is soft and Groves could've improved that. Then to find out that the Jags only swapped 2nd rounders and gave up a fifth round pick makes me sick. The Pats could've grabbed a midget corner in the begining of the third round instead of the second. I guess we'll find out next season.

To be honest I've never really understood the fascination with Groves. He is a pure speed rusher. Not very physical, limited pass rush repetoire. That is just not a fit in our system. He's a good fit in a system like Jacksonville or Indy, but he just isn't the type of player BB looks for in his OLB's.

Hopefully Mayo allows AD to move back outside. I'd rather he rush the passer than Groves.

I love the Mayo pick because, according to Michael Holley on Friday, Mayo was #1 on their board. When the guy you are targeting with your first pick is there where you pick after you trade down, you are doing ok.

We got three third round picks with still some good pass rushers on the board. People need to be patient. We had the second to last pick in the second round, we realistically couldn't have traded up to get a lot of the players people are complaining we didn't get.

Look. I wanted Albert if we stayed at #7 because I thought we needed an impact starter drafting there and not a backup or conversion project. After 8 seasons I never believed Bill would like a college LB enough to justify taking one that in the top ten. He traded back and got a 3rd. And he didn't do it for Ellis, who may be a great pro but made no sense for us. LB, if he can be a rotational player/spot starter by late in the season or start next season, represents value there. If it turns out he was the most under rated player in the first round, as Mayock (who has near godlike status in my draft book from here on out) contended, I'm down with ILB because it's one of THE single most critical and valued positions on a BB team. Bruschi is running on fumes, Seau if he's back is on whatever comes after fumes. AD was an expensive addition as an ILB, more value right now as an OLB. Situational players can be found in the later rounds, or in FA. Just ask the Giants where they got Tuck. Gholston has some questions as a DE let alone OLB in the 3-4. Groves apparently had not only questions but issues. Shefter said he had off field concerns that led three teams to take him off their board entirely. Maybe we were one of those three.

I also wanted Cason (assuming he went in the 2nd), but he went where we could not get him. Ditto Flowers. But if this midget is a Hobbs clone, I'm down with Bill. Bill says Ellis Hobbs is good for this team, and he smiles when he says it, and I agree. I would still like to see them upgrade the right side of the OL, but I don't know they can with the run on Olinemen today. So I'm going to trust that Bill knows more about whether we can or should, for now anyway. Three more picks in the third round of a deep draft should yield some solid prospects. Hell, we got Asante in the 4th and Gay off the street. We're only rebounding from 18-1, not rebuilding from scratch.

Look. I wanted Albert if we stayed at #7 because I thought we needed an impact starter drafting there and not a backup or conversion project. After 8 seasons I never believed Bill would like a college LB enough to justify taking one that in the top ten. He traded back and got a 3rd. And he didn't do it for Ellis, who may be a great pro but made no sense for us. LB, if he can be a rotational player/spot starter by late in the season or start next season, represents value there. If it turns out he was the most under rated player in the first round, as Mayock (who has near godlike status in my draft book from here on out) contended, I'm down with ILB because it's one of THE single most critical and valued positions on a BB team. Bruschi is running on fumes, Seau if he's back is on whatever comes after fumes. AD was an expensive addition as an ILB, more value right now as an OLB. Situational players can be found in the later rounds, or in FA. Just ask the Giants where they got Tuck. Gholston has some questions as a DE let alone OLB in the 3-4. Groves apparently had not only questions but issues. Shefter said he had off field concerns that led three teams to take him off their board entirely. Maybe we were one of those three.

I also wanted Cason (assuming he went in the 2nd), but he went where we could not get him. Ditto Flowers. But if this midget is a Hobbs clone, I'm down with Bill. Bill says Ellis Hobbs is good for this team, and he smiles when he says it, and I agree. I would still like to see them upgrade the right side of the OL, but I don't know they can with the run on Olinemen today. So I'm going to trust that Bill knows more about whether we can or should, for now anyway. Three more picks in the third round of a deep draft should yield some solid prospects. Hell, we got Asante in the 4th and Gay off the street. We're only rebounding from 18-1, not rebuilding from scratch.

I agree completely, unfortunately i'll be at work tomorrow more than likely
but I am very excited about the third round it could make or break my whole day.

So, you are completely content with the two players that the Pats selected?
I think they needed an ILB and a CB, so I'm satisfied with that. As far as which ILB and which CB, I don't kow enough to second guess.

Like almost every Pats fan who is honest, the pick that most upset me was Seymour. We desparately needed a WR and we picked a too tall DT with a poor work ethic when David Terrell was available.

The thing about going by ESPN rankings for players is that they treat players like widgets. No allowance for the fact that scheme and style will make some players more valuable to a team and others worthless.

The Pats supposedly have the smallest draft board in the NFL, only putting on it players who would be a good fit. It is likely that the guys you want them to draft aren't even on their board.

I don't think there has been a better team than the Patriots this decade, and they are still the best team in my opinion.

Given all that their methods have accomplished, how dissatisfied are you with their choices over the years? What FO has done a better job? Only the Colts even come close.

Relax, Enjoy the ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey