Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who Do You Blame For the Patriots Problems?

• Offense

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Defense

Votes: 24 15.3%
  • Coaching

Votes: 95 60.5%
  • Tom Brady

Votes: 12 7.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
For the sake of keeping this place from looking like it's melting down, let's restrict this discussion to this one thread until at least tomorrow. Please place your vote in the above poll, and once everyone calms down and we can have a rational discussion about each of these areas maybe I'll be a little easier to get along with at that point...but right now it's just madness on here.

I don't blame everyone for being disappointed - but let's try and keep this place somewhat sane. Otherwise it's going to be an even longer week.

So here's how this will work: please restrict yourself to ONE POST in this thread of where you feel the problem is with this team, along with why you feel that way. I will post a new thread on the forum for each category based on the BEST RESPONSES in this thread to start discusssions so we can break it down further.

Last edited:
Re: The Blame Thread - Offense/Defense/Coaching

Can we have an all of the above option?

I blame my ex-wife...she burned my lucky Pats cap three years ago and it's been downhill ever since!!
icon10.gif

Coaching..

offense and Defense are getting outplayed in the second half by a large margin and I think it's the coaching..

This poll points the finger at offense if coaching isn't a selection. I would wager that many of those who chose coaching weren't blaming Belichick but the people under him.

Can we have an all of the above option?

Yeah, I would go with that answer too. It is too simplistic to point to one area. There are enough things wrong with this team right now to blame solely on the offense, defense, Brady, or the coaching.

But if I had to pick one, I would pick the coaching because it covers both sides of the ball.

Last edited:

All of the above

I'm blaming you Ian ... you are to blame.

Pees and O'Brien are trying to keep up with all the suggestions here and now they are lost.

If this site did not exist then they could just listen to Bill ... instead of learning on the job here.

Seriously ... there must be a JAG OUT THERE WHO CAN REPLACE KACZUR.

He could go 50 yards backwards if the play lasted longer ... he is the ultimate wimp.

Last edited:

Coaching and D for the Season, all of the above today

Yeah, I would go with that answer too. It is too simplistic to point to one area. There are enough things wrong with this team right now to blame solely on the offense, defense, Brady, or the coaching.

But if I had to pick one, I would pick the coaching because it covers both sides of the ball.

You can also elaborate on what you feel is wrong, and I'd even love to hear a few people talk about what they would do to correct the issues. Let's make this a really good thread with constructive breakdowns of each area.

The problem is the talent on this defense and are inability to be able to put pressure on the QB and not being able to cover. This defense is horrid, and the reason why we are only giving up the 3rd least points in the league because they lead in the league in time of possession. This defense stinks period.

It is also the lack of the offensive execution, which has a lot to do with the coaching. Penatlies at the worst times, the inability to not pick up 3rd downs at the most critical times of the game. This is mostly has to do with coaching. This I agree has a lot to do with O'Brien and the coaching staff.

Defense plus bad offensive coaching= the mess that we are in.

Simple as this.

Defense gave this team a chance to win.

They made multiple stops in the 2nd half.

The offense scored a total of 7 points the last 3 quarters, no points the last 25 minutes.

You can't always blame a defense just because in any loss they gave up the last meaningful points...

Last edited:

it was coaching today...primarily the O play calling...2nd and goal at the 4 and you call a fade into triple coverage?..ridiculous...going for it 4th and six instead of a FG at the end of the 1st half?...please....the "stretch play" on first down with 5 minutes to go against a fast sideline to sideline D??...this ain't rocket science...

Every passing play it's the same scenario.

The ball is snapped - Kaczur gets bullrushed.

Brady moves a step or 2 left and loses focus for a brief second.

The opponent's LT now is closer to Brady.

So Brady steps up but by now the delayed pressure is coming up the middle.

Tom rushes the throw to differing results.

Get Kaczur out of there and it's an entire new ballgame for Brady.

I really think that the biggest problem with this team is the lack of a power running game. When we had Antoine Smith and Corey Dillon, the Patriots could milk the clock when they had a lead. We don't take any time off the clock when we need to. The Patriots are relying too much on Brady and the passing game. I think the defense is young and in transition. We definitely need to put more pressure on the QB.

the main problem is coaching, especially on offense. I say this because the defense is a work in progress and I don't expect them to be world beaters at this point. The offense is supposed to be the strength. We continually do ridiculous things like force plays to Moss (thats on Brady) and throw deep on 2nd and 6 (thats coaching and Brady.) We go away from game plans that work and start chucking it downfield. Brady is turning into Favre, it's depressing.

My feeling is that defensively they're going to need to better address their pass rush heading into this offseason. They've been one of the bottom teams over the past few seasons in sacks, and unfortunately as much as people here have discussed how poor the secondary is playing, it's quite unfair to ask a bunch of young guys to cover receivers for six or seven seconds.

When you give a quarterback all that time to survey the field, with receivers running back and forth, eventually someone is going to get open. Coverages are in place to deal with specific routes and situations, but all that goes out the window when receivers have time to get away from their man and make a play.

Henne had a lot of time today with a solid pocket around him, especially as the game wore on and you could tell the players were getting tired chasing their receivers around in the 80-degree heat. They need to do a better job of disrupting that - because unfortunately that is a big area of concern.

Look around the league at the stats. There are guys in this league who have almost as many sacks in total as this entire team does. But that aside sacks aren't even the biggest concern - any pressure would be good to see at this point. Watch the game again and you'll see the pocket he had today...it was just ridiculous.

Week after week no pocket protection AT ALL.

6268fda3bc81e4f136ff6c480c3aba1b-getty-88972250db012_new_england_p.jpg
fe2908311e2177c87c59790f05d3e1db-getty-.jpg

show.jpg

Last edited:
Coaching, and the constant locking of threads every time we lose.

You know, I voted for the offense, but I suppose I could throw coaching in there instead. And it's not Belichick's fault, as a lot of people here have been quick to conclude. Most coaches are at their best when they have to worry about one thing. Belichick, despite being a great coach, is no exception. He's been at his best when he has to worry about 1 thing. He was at his best as a DC because he just had to worry about scheming defenses and putting people in the right position on one side of the ball. He was later at his best as a HC when he just had to scheme mid week, and serve as overseer on Sundays.

How do we get back there? We need a truly trustworthy OC, DC, or preferably both. Weis and RAC will obviously be brought up because they're both currently unemployed. But look at in game sideline shots... Belichick just looks overwhelmed over there. He's an excellent coach, but he's not God. He can't be the HC, OC and DC all at the same time. Now, more than ever, I'm convinced that Weis, RAC or both will be back next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Back