PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Bill Belichick thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Belichick became a free agent coach after the season, and he decided to hold an open auction for his services, what kind of crazy money would some of the billionaires throw at him?
Another scenario: BB writes an all inclusive manual,"How to Run and Coach a NFL team" and decides that he only wishes to sell 5 manuals at auction...how much?

At this point, I doubt it is about the money for him. He knows he would not enjoy the same kind of working relationship that he has with Kraft, which is a very understanding and complimentary one.

Granted a lot of owners will throw the word "autonomy" at BB, but it is still a word, and most of the owners will inevitably put their finger in the pie at one point or another. How can they not? It's their team and they bought it, just like you want to occasionally drive the fancy car you bought, not let a race driver drive it all the time just because it's his profession and he knows how to do it better than you do.
That was pretty much my thought as well in response to borg's question. A big reason why the Patriots are as successful as they are on the field is because Belichick and Kraft are so in sync in their philosophy about how to win in the salary cap/free agency era of pro football. Add in Belichick's experience with Art Modell plus the witnessing of good coaches done in by meddlesome owners over the years, and I seriously doubt that Belichick would leave for another organization.

Being motivated by making more money elsewhere might be a factor if he was not making much in New England in comparison to other NFL coaches, but that is not the case. Being motivated to be the highest paid coach in the NFL would be an indicator of a huge ego. That is not the case with Belichick; if it was then you would see him looking for a camera and microphone whenever possible rather than shunning them.

Belichick's motivation is simple: to win. I think he believes his best opportunity to do that is with this team and this owner; being paid more money does not address that motivation.

Yes, this exactly. He is a special coach, a once in a lifetime coach. I'm glad it's my lifetime.

Agreed, we'll be talking about him long after he's gone. Though hopefully that's not anytime soon.

That was pretty much my thought as well in response to borg's question. A big reason why the Patriots are as successful as they are on the field is because Belichick and Kraft are so in sync in their philosophy about how to win in the salary cap/free agency era of pro football. Add in Belichick's experience with Art Modell plus the witnessing of good coaches done in by meddlesome owners over the years, and I seriously doubt that Belichick would leave for another organization.

Being motivated by making more money elsewhere might be a factor if he was not making much in New England in comparison to other NFL coaches, but that is not the case. Being motivated to be the highest paid coach in the NFL would be an indicator of a huge ego. That is not the case with Belichick; if it was then you would see him looking for a camera and microphone whenever possible rather than shunning them.

Belichick's motivation is simple: to win. I think he believes his best opportunity to do that is with this team and this owner; being paid more money does not address that motivation.

Sums it up nicely. I've never worried about BB leaving town for all those reasons. He's happy here, and we're happy to have him.

OT: Why do so many thread OPs include the word "discuss"? Isn't that going to happen anyway? :D

He all but wrote that book for RAC, Rat, JM, and Weis and they all failed miserably.

This. Alone, he is the one who keeps the team winning even as he cultivates others to succeed. Of course, TB helps in how great the offense performs but the overall team strategy is BB's doing. As someone said earlier, I am very glad he is around during me lifetime to be able to witness/enjoy/relish all that has been a direct result of his strategies. Helps tremendously in terms of all the early history let-downs of the team's past.

You don't know me well enough to slander me like that. I was wearing a "Yankees Suck" T-Shirt before you were born, possibly. Unless you remember Bill Lee and Thurmon Munson, that is.

If the first tight end you remember was Tony Romeo, then I apologize.

That Belichick guy is no Mike Holovak, that's all I'm saying.

RayClay, I was obviously kidding. :cool3:

It'll be a sad, sad day when BB retires. I don't see him coaching for any other NFL team, considering the relationship that he has with Bob Kraft, so I'm pretty certain that retirement is the only thing that will get him to leave the organization. I'm yet another who is thankful to see this once-in-a-lifetime coach in my own lifetime.

Bills needs to do a coors light commercial when he retires. "Coach what's your favorite type of beer?"
"Well you know, they have a lot of great beers out there...."

Bills needs to do a coors light commercial when he retires. "Coach what's your favorite type of beer?"
"Well you know, they have a lot of great beers out there...."

"Coach, what do you think about Coors Light's new draft box?"

"We're not even thinking about the draft right now. It's way too early for that. We're focused on next week. Moving on to next week."

I was thinkin about this last night, while there are other coaches I would "accept" there's no one I'd rather have than BB.

One of my favorite moments as a Pats fan is after the 2nd Jets game in 2007 when the crowd gave him a huge ovation.

I was thinkin about this last night, while there are other coaches I would "accept" there's no one I'd rather have than BB.

One of my favorite moments as a Pats fan is after the 2nd Jets game in 2007 when the crowd gave him a huge ovation.

When BB does finally retire/move on, if it's one thing Kraft has learned it's that there is a system in place here and not to mess with the system. Egos need not apply.

Love the videos. I hope there is a lot of new stuff on the program coming up on Tuesday night....

"We're not even thinking about the draft right now. It's way too early for that. We're focused on next week. Moving on to next week."

That is pretty funny actually.

I also love how serious Bill is. It may be cool to have a coach that can joke around like Rex but when it comes to winning, having a coach that takes everything seriously is probably better.

lol nice. They could make a few nice ones.

BB is as much a pro at player management as he is at x and o's. Love watching him in action.

NFL Videos: Live Wire: Inside Bill Belichick

I love watching him w/players, coaching/teaching as an adult talking to other adults. Early on Moss gives him input that might be pretty obvious about how much zone they play and are likely to play since they can't match up man-on-man. BB doesn't really dismiss him, he follows the thought and says "right, becomes a zone game... I gotcha." It's very respectful, given how basic Moss' input seems to be. Even when he's teasing the players, it seems like he doesn't have to make a big point of who is who. They know. "Got a box for all that jewelry? Hope that's not your whole signing bonus." When it comes to advice on the field, it's all gentle and pragmatic, none of the sting you get with some prima donna coaches.

Perfect example of commanding respect, not demanding it.

Last edited:
Nice video. But I'm confused, it ends with Matt Cassel leading the Pats to their 6th straight division title in 08?

How'd we do in the playoffs?:rolleyes:

:confused:

I think that was Cassel beating the Raiders in week 15, keeping our play-off hopes alive. We didn't win the division in 08 on tie-breakers. Not sure what any of that has to do with the clip though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back