PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The big mystery in the Colts' decision to roll over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caldwell was absolutely stupid not to put the starters back in after Painter fumbled the ball..

Remember BB put Brady back in after Cassell threw a pick a few seasons ago.

Remember BB put Brady back in after Cassell threw a pick a few seasons ago.

Different scenarios... The Pats were blowing out the Bills at the time.

The Colts had just allowed a kick return for a TD... Should never have pulled Manning like that to begin with..

Caldwell is showing he's not HC material..

Come to think of it, has Peyton EVER gotten hurt?

I agree with most everyone else in this thread and don't like the call based on the way the game was unfolding. Colts were not having a great game and the offense was missing a few throws they usually make. It was a tight game (15-10) and the Colts, while certainly a better team, was not in full control of the game yet. Better to have the D come out, stop an ineffective Sanchez again, score another quick score to make it 22-10 and then if you feel you have to, pull the starters.

This is NOT a good way to lose, let alone go into the post-season.

After watching Painter out there, they better hope he doesn't.......... Ugh, talk about flustered.

I think Caldwell/polian did the right thing, and i wish they hadn't. This takes all the pressure/hype about an undefeated season off the team, and it pisses Manning and the rest of the team off imo they'll come back and try to prove something.

If there is an upside, this is it. However........... I don't like the way they lost. Indy will be a one and done team this year.

I think Caldwell/polian did the right thing, and i wish they hadn't. This takes all the pressure/hype about an undefeated season off the team, and it pisses Manning and the rest of the team off imo they'll come back and try to prove something.

I have to 100% disagree with you. I think they did the wrong thing. Prior to be pulled, Manning, Wayne, Clark and Co were NOT playing well. So, when they were pulled, they were frustrated and couldn't work on correcting it. The right thing would have been to allow Manning, Wayne, Clark and Co. to get on track and build up a sizable lead. A 5 point lead isn't enough with the Colts defense. They should have gotten the lead to 15 and then taken the starters out. That way the starters wouldn't feel frustrated and wouldn' have a feeling like they didn't do their jobs.

I don't think they were pissed off at all. In fact, they were frustrated and upset. When people are frustrated and upset, they don't play well. They try too hard and actually put more pressure on themselves. They end up making mistakes, trying to force plays that aren't there, in an attempt to get back to where they should be. And now, they'll have to dwell on that from now until the next game.. Which won't help them..

Last edited:
Different scenarios... The Pats were blowing out the Bills at the time.

The Colts had just allowed a kick return for a TD... Should never have pulled Manning like that to begin with..

Caldwell is showing he's not HC material..

Just have a nitpick. The Pats were actually blowing out the Dolphins in that game. Not the Bills. That's all I have to offer. Carry on. :cool:

Last edited:
The only thing Caldwell did 'wrong' was to put the starters in at the start of the half in the first place, and that's because people will never stop crying about it now.

Last edited:
A question for speculation: does John Tomase take a dump on the Patriots if they were heading to the Super Bowl at 17-1 or 16-2 instead of 18-0?

In my opinion, yes. The myth of the Rams walkthru tape would still have been a big story. Not quite as big as it was at 18-0, but big enough to run with without actually, you know, making sure it was true.

Someone (Deus?) asked why not play the starters during only the second half if the goal was to limit reps and thus the chance of injury. I think that's an awesome question. I've never seen it done, but it makes all the sense in the world.

no no no...my theory is play them 1/3 of the 1st quarter, 1/2 of the 2nd quarter, the square of pi divided by 1.3 the 3rd quarter and 5/16th's the 4th quarter...THAT is the only really right way to play it

no no no...my theory is play them 1/3 of the 1st quarter, 1/2 of the 2nd quarter, the square of pi divided by 1.3 the 3rd quarter and 5/16th's the 4th quarter...THAT is the only really right way to play it

Spoken like a true engineer.:cool:

Just have a nitpick. The Pats were actually blowing out the Dolphins in that game. Not the Bills. That's all I have to offer. Carry on. :cool:
I remember that because Brady looked odd playing without eyeblack on when he came back in. He had wiped it off when Cassel replaced him.

bradybefore.jpg
bradyafter.jpg

Same pose though. :p

Last edited:
I remember that because Brady looked odd playing without eyeblack on when he came back in. He had wiped it off when Cassel replaced him.

bradybefore.jpg
bradyafter.jpg

Same pose though. :p

He still looked boyish then. But then again, so did I.

Caldwell was absolutely stupid not to put the starters back in after Painter fumbled the ball..

The Jets D was really fired up then. That probably would have resulted in a Colts starter getting hurt, IMHO.

I LOVE it!
One loss down......one loss in the playoffs to go! :D

...not to mention those stupid damn Colts screwed my Steelers! :mad:

But honestly, I think it's a ridiculous coaching decision, and I sincerely hope it comes back to bite them in the butt. You're giving your starters THREE weeks off before a playoff game?? I get the whole "fear of injury" approach, but how 'bout the idea that your players likely won't be as sharp as they were during their 13 game winning streak after a three week vacation? Let 'em play! Give them their shot at history if the players want it (which from the looks on their faces, they DID). My prediction for the Colts now...one and done.

So, now we gotta pray for miracles here in Pittburgh that your Pats take care of Houston (not likely) and Cincy takes care of the Jets (also not likely). Pretty tough to count on two teams who have already clinched to handle your dirty work. And to think if the Steelers had just beaten ONE of the ****ty teams they lost to this season, they wouldn't be in this mess! Oh well. It is what it is I suppose.

Congrats to you and the Pats!

...not to mention those stupid damn Colts screwed my Steelers! :mad:

But honestly, I think it's a ridiculous coaching decision, and I sincerely hope it comes back to bite them in the butt. You're giving your starters THREE weeks off before a playoff game?? I get the whole "fear of injury" approach, but how 'bout the idea that your players likely won't be as sharp as they were during their 13 game winning streak after a three week vacation? Let 'em play! Give them their shot at history if the players want it (which from the looks on their faces, they DID). My prediction for the Colts now...one and done.

So, now we gotta pray for miracles here in Pittburgh that your Pats take care of Houston (not likely) and Cincy takes care of the Jets (also not likely). Pretty tough to count on two teams who have already clinched to handle your dirty work. And to think if the Steelers had just beaten ONE of the ****ty teams they lost to this season, they wouldn't be in this mess! Oh well. It is what it is I suppose.

Congrats to you and the Pats!

AH!! Now the real reason why Colts threw the game shines through.
There is no way Colts would have lost that game if they were really
determined to go 16-0.

If you were the Colts HC, would you rather face the JETs or the Steelers
or the Ravens?

By throwing the game Colts increase the probabilities that the Ravens and
Steelers won't be in the Playoffs.
That consideration was more motivating to the Head Coach trying to get
his name on the list of Coaches winning a SuperBowl than the 16 - 0 season.
IMO.

That's what I've been saying.

We should just forfeit the game to the Bills next week. Might as well if we're going to pull Manning in the middle of the god damn game. :mad:

whole timing was odd. they played 7 meaningless quarters before they realized that they need to protect starters. i have a strong feeling that polian was influenced by what went on in the nfl and probably decided that he would rather have the jets win than see the steelers in the playoffs for e.g . otherwise playing the jax game and 3 quat of this game made no sense.

in my personal opinion if a player(s) say they dont want the pressure of an undefeated season and would rather lose then they dont deserve to win. How can any team say they dont want the pressure to win.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back