Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Bhutto Assassination: Not What She Seemed To Be

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Real World, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +899 / 7 / -3

I just came across this article on RealClearPolitics. I'm posting it because it seems to reinforce Siqidd's (sp?) post about Bhutto being corrupt. The only negative i heard on any channel yesterday was a murmur by Andrea Mitchell on Hardball that she "had her detractors", or something like that, but no explanation or specific criticism of any faults. This article is the first time I've seen a negative of her in the press.

The New York Post

THE BHUTTO ASSASSINATION: NOT WHAT SHE SEEMED TO BE

By RALPH PETERS

December 28, 2007 -- FOR the next several days, you're going to read and hear a great deal of pious nonsense in the wake of the assassination of Pakistan's former prime minister, Benazir Bhutto.
    Her country's better off without her. She may serve Pakistan better after her death than she did in life.

We need have no sympathy with her Islamist assassin and the extremists behind him to recognize that Bhutto was corrupt, divisive, dishonest and utterly devoid of genuine concern for her country.

She was a splendid con, persuading otherwise cynical Western politicians and "hardheaded" journalists that she was not only a brave woman crusading in the Islamic wilderness, but also a thoroughbred democrat.

In fact, Bhutto was a frivolously wealthy feudal landlord amid bleak poverty. The scion of a thieving political dynasty, she was always more concerned with power than with the wellbeing of the average Pakistani. Her program remained one of old-school patronage, not increased productivity or social decency.

http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly...utto_assassination__not_what_she_s_912265.htm

2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 15 / -8

Well, were she singled out as an enemy of this regime, she would have been the Antichrist while in power.

She poured it on in the 80s for Pakistan's nuclear program. I remember the headlines of the times, and murmerings that perhaps we should control them with carrot/stick aid/no-aid approaches, yadda yadda yadda. She basically took the approach other nations take: other nations, including the US, have Da Bomb. Explain again why we shouldn't?

So, if you really give a damn about the proliferation of WMDs, she has that skeleton in the closet. But of course, we only care about proliferation to countries we're villifying at that moment. And even in those cases, the actual proliferation need not be happening, for us to claim it is. When the proliferation is happening, of course, well then we cave.

At any rate, I thought she was the hottest world leader chick ever, may she rest in peace.

PFnV

3. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I guess this really belongs in the political forum, but Michael will move it as he sees fit.

Anyway, to address the topic as I am finding it difficult to think of different ways to say 16-0....

I was speaking to one of my bosses at work and she commented on how corrupt Bhutto was. This was literally just after the assassination. She said something along the lines of, "have you seen her house? It's obscene".

4. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Never mind that. I can't believe you have over 10,400 posts in one year. :eek: