The better team really won

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patters

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A few points:

(1) Game time stripped away all the hype and showed that Antonio Gates was not so exceptional, Philip Rivers may not be as good as Drew Brees, and Sean Merriman was not the second coming of Michael Strahan. Only Tomlinson lived up to the hype, but not even he could stop destiny.

(2) Even though the Chargers had superior field position for much of the game, our D proved itself time and again able to stop them. (I wonder if their superior field position helped us in that it meant our D was never on the field too long.) Bruschi was something of an unsung hero of the game. He had 6 tackles, 5 assists, and 1 pass deflection. And Hawkins, Warren, and Hobbs had at least 6 tackles each. I think those are pretty impressive numbers against such a powerful team as the Chargers. We made them work hard for their yards.

(3) When the game was on the line, the Pats were more focused, determined, and powerful. Not only did Brady find his precision, our O line did an incredible job protecting him. (I think we focused on getting our O line to protect Brady more than on getting it to open holes. We never planned to run much.)

(4) Brady. I know some people think he had an off day, but he said that this was the hardest game he ever played in terms of moving the ball. Brady's troubles were a credit to the Chargers D, but in the end McDaniels, Brady, and the receivers figured out how to win. Caldwell's adjusted beautifully in the fourth to catch the key pass that brought us deep into Chargers territory.

(5) We played great situational football. The direct snap to Faulk for 2 points is something the Pats worked on all week, and it paid off.

(6) Troy Brown instantly changing roles from WR to CB and forcing a fumble is one of the biggest plays in the last 6 years. That showed the benefit of his versatility, and was also a great example of situational football. Brown set a record for appearances in a Pats playoff game. He's been in 19 of them!

(7) Ghost's 50 yard FG, the longest in Patriots' playoff history, showed how focused and well prepared the team was. If the Chargers had Ghost to kick their final FG attempt, the game would have been tied. And, credit to Cassel, who was holding for Ghost for only the fourth time.

(8) Matt Light completely redeemed himself, showing speed, technique, and power in protecting Brady.

(9) With few exceptions, our tackling was first class, especially when you consider that LT's speed forced a few especially difficult tackles.

(10) The coaching was brilliant. I always admire BB for not being afraid to win by 3 points. When he chose to make the score 14-13, instead of going for 2 points, and when later on he chose to punt from the Chargers 40 rather than try a fourth down play, he showed his deep understanding of the game. He seems to always make the right decision.

(11) The Offensive play calling was brilliant. The Chargers had a superb D, so the Pats came out and tried different approaches in each half, while in the early quarters using Dillon to tire out the Chargers. We're only the third team this year to put up more points than the Chargers in the fourth Q.

I think every single Pats player deserves tremendous kudos for their focus and discipline. I don't think we had any dumb penalties, except maybe against Mankins, and the Pats never let their emotions affect their play. This team played with the same kind of focus, intensity, and discipline that the 2001 team played!

But the Chargers didn't win....I'm confused.

I listened to a live interview (via phone) with Brady this morning on WEEI 103.7 FM Providence. I don't usually listen in the morning (around 8 AM) so I don't know who it was doing the interview. May have even been a FOXsports guy but he actually said to Brady, "The better team lost last night..."Brady (just getting home I might add) took a long pause after that and diverted the comment by talking about what a god job the Pats did. Good for Tom.

I listened to a live interview (via phone) with Brady this morning on WEEI 103.7 FM Providence. I don't usually listen in the morning (around 8 AM) so I don't know who it was doing the interview. May have even been a FOXsports guy but he actually said to Brady, "The better team lost last night..."Brady (just getting home I might add) took a long pause after that and diverted the comment by talking about what a god job the Pats did. Good for Tom.

Brady should have called him "classless." What a crock to actually say something like that to Brady.

I think people don't understand what "better team" actually means. The more talented team lost, yes, but not the better. That is two different things. The better team is much more than just who can run faster, jump higher etc. Intelligence, awareness, coaching, and experience all go into making a "better team," and we saw that. The Pats players and coaches knew what to do in each situation, and the Chargers, especially the coaching staff looked lost. The more talented team lost, but the better team won.

Great Vince Wilfork quote kinda sums up the matchup:

“You could just tell in the way they approached the game, the little shots they took, the way they carried themselves,” said nose tackle Vince Wilfork [stats] of the Chargers. “Talking tough all week, acting like they had the game won. I guess they didn’t realize you don’t win games in the newspaper.”

A few points:

(1) Game time stripped away all the hype and showed that Antonio Gates was not so exceptional, Philip Rivers may not be as good as Drew Brees, and Sean Merriman was not the second coming of Michael Strahan. Only Tomlinson lived up to the hype, but not even he could stop destiny.

(2) Even though the Chargers had superior field position for much of the game, our D proved itself time and again able to stop them. (I wonder if their superior field position helped us in that it meant our D was never on the field too long.) Bruschi was something of an unsung hero of the game. He had 6 tackles, 5 assists, and 1 pass deflection. And Hawkins, Warren, and Hobbs had at least 6 tackles each. I think those are pretty impressive numbers against such a powerful team as the Chargers. We made them work hard for their yards.

(3) When the game was on the line, the Pats were more focused, determined, and powerful. Not only did Brady find his precision, our O line did an incredible job protecting him. (I think we focused on getting our O line to protect Brady more than on getting it to open holes. We never planned to run much.)

(4) Brady. I know some people think he had an off day, but he said that this was the hardest game he ever played in terms of moving the ball. Brady's troubles were a credit to the Chargers D, but in the end McDaniels, Brady, and the receivers figured out how to win. Caldwell's adjusted beautifully in the fourth to catch the key pass that brought us deep into Chargers territory.

(5) We played great situational football. The direct snap to Faulk for 2 points is something the Pats worked on all week, and it paid off.

(6) Troy Brown instantly changing roles from WR to CB and forcing a fumble is one of the biggest plays in the last 6 years. That showed the benefit of his versatility, and was also a great example of situational football. Brown set a record for appearances in a Pats playoff game. He's been in 19 of them!

(7) Ghost's 50 yard FG, the longest in Patriots history, showed how focused and well prepared the team was. If the Chargers had Ghost to kick their final FG attempt, the game would have been tied. And, credit to Cassel, who was holding for Ghost for only the fourth time.

(8) Matt Light completely redeemed himself, showing speed, technique, and power in protecting Brady.

(8) With few exceptions, our tackling was first class, especially when you consider that LT's speed forced a few especially difficult tackles.

(10) The coaching was brilliant. I always admire BB for not being afraid to win by 3 points. When he chose to make the score 14-13, instead of going for 2 points, and when later on he chose to punt from the Chargers 40 rather than try a fourth down play, he showed his deep understanding of the game. He seems to always make the right decision.

(11) The Offensive play calling was brilliant. The Chargers had a superb D, so the Pats came out and tried different approaches in each half, while in the early quarters using Dillon to tire out the Chargers. We're only the third team this year to put up more points than the Chargers in the fourth Q.

I think every single Pats player deserves tremendous kudos for their focus and discipline. I don't think we had any dumb penalties, except maybe against Mankins, and the Pats never let their emotions affect their play. This team played with the same kind of focus, intensity, and discipline that the 2001 team played!

Gotta call a timeout here.

Ummm there are a lot of factors that helped you guys win. I wouldn't puff up the win to much here. You guys got the W but pretty much it was in the Chargers hands the entire game.

Things that allowed the comeback win

1. Mainly dropped passes. 9. That has nothing to do with your D. Our guys acted like they've never been there and it showed.

2. Had McRee just knocked down that 4th down pass instead of trying to be a hero and getting it stripped the game most likely would have been over at that point.

3. On the punt fumble had Parker just jumped on the ball after his muff instead of trying to pick it up it would have been a game changer as well.

4. All the stupid bone headed personal fouls. Just stupid players making stupid plays.

5. Marty wasting timeouts as if they wouldn't need them in the end.

6. Marty going for it on 4 and 11 instead of a field goal? That was a 6 point swing right there.

These are not excuses. These are how you lose a game. Chargers did everything they needed to lose the game. They snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

I am not taking anything away from your win. You did what you needed to do, hang around and wait for an opportunity. But please don't puff it up as if you guys went out and dominated the Chargers.

Grats again. Should be an interesting game sunday.

I think people don't understand what "better team" actually means. The more talented team lost, yes, but not the better. That is two different things. The better team is much more than just who can run faster, jump higher etc. Intelligence, awareness, coaching, and experience all go into making a "better team," and we saw that. The Pats players and coaches knew what to do in each situation, and the Chargers, especially the coaching staff looked lost. The more talented team lost, but the better team won.

i tried in vain to explain to Chargers fan this week the difference between having more talent and being the better team. every time i'd concede they had more talent they'd be all "so you admit we have the better team." argh. i gave up trying.

Ummm there are a lot of factors that helped you guys win. I wouldn't puff up the win to much here. You guys got the W but pretty much it was in the Chargers hands the entire game.

1. Mainly dropped passes. 9. That has nothing to do with your D. Our guys acted like they've never been there and it showed.

2. Had McRee just knocked down that 4th down pass instead of trying to be a hero and getting it stripped the game most likely would have been over at that point.

3. On the punt fumble had Parker just jumped on the ball after his muff instead of trying to pick it up it would have been a game changer as well.

4. All the stupid bone headed personal fouls. Just stupid players making stupid plays.

6. Marty going for it on 4 and 11 instead of a field goal? That was a 6 point swing right there.

These are not excuses. These are how you lose a game. Chargers did everything they needed to lose the game. They snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

I am not taking anything away from your win. You did what you needed to do, hang around and wait for an opportunity. But please don't puff it up as if you guys went out and dominated the Chargers.

All the things you listed are reasons why the Chargers were the worse team. Unfocused drops and the unnecessary interception. Undisciplined personal foul penalties. Stupid coaching decisions like wasting the timeout. Doing these things is exactly why they were not the better team. Being the better team isn't about being capable of making certain plays, it's making them, and they didn't.

Last edited:

you're definitely correct that the Chargers win the game if they just don't make a couple of the many mistakes they made.

i think that's in part what we mean when we say there's a difference between talent and performance. on talent SD dominates NE. but in NE cast-offs and back-ups make big plays, and NE doesn't make big mistakes. Pretty much the only "if" NE would have had if they lost would have been "if Brady wasn't giving the ball up."

I think the only reason we don't view yesterday's game as being lucky is that we've seen it so many times before. either NE was lucky to beat SD in '06, Pitt in '04, Indy (and Carolina maybe?) in '03, Oak, Pitt, and StL in '01 or maybe NE just doesn't make many mistakes and capitalizes on their opponent's mistakes.

I don't think the Pats dominated the Chargers. The Chargers really are a great team, but going into the game I was led to believe that the Chargers would dominate the Pats. I think the intensity of the game, the defensive schemes, etc. confused a lot of people on both sides of the ball (even Brady), and that caused many of the mistakes. Sure, the Chargers made more mistakes than the Pats, but that's how all football games are won or lost.

You can't fault McCree for running with an interception. How was he to know that our best defensive WR would be right there to strip the ball away from him?

Marty certainly made mistakes, but he had some bad luck. For instance, he tried but failed to call a timeout before our two-point conversion. His decision to go for it on fourth and 11 (rather than try a 49 yard FG) was predicated on the belief that his team could protect Rivers so that, in the worst case, the Pats would get the ball around the 30 yard line. I think a lot of coaches would have tried that, unless they felt sure they could get a 49 yard FG.

The bonehead fouls were a sign of immaturity and lack of discipline, but we had a couple of bonehead holding calls against Mankins.

A reason we're so proud of this game is that the Chargers are outstanding. They were within a hair of breaking the game open for almost three quarters, but the Pats did just enough to prevent that from happening. I bet we'll be meeting again during the playoffs next year.

Ummm yeah they are excuses. Just like the tons of excuses we are all accustomed to seeing out of opposing teams fans througout all these years of our teams dynasty run.

You see us Pats fans are used to other teams fans coming over here and giving us reasons why their team lost to the Pats when they feel they shouldn't have. it happens every single year, all the time. We are used to it in fact. Inevitably the other teams fans drop by and post the list of plays in the game noting all these reasons why the Pats eventually won the game that their team "gave away".

you're definitely correct that the Chargers win the game if they just don't make a couple of the many mistakes they made.
What separates the dynasty Pats team from a pretender team like the Chargers is that the dynasty Pats teams can overcome their mistakes (Brady's uncharacteristic 3 INT's for example) and win a game while the Chargers can't.

I think the Pats blow the Chargers out if Brady was his usual self in this game.

What other teams just don't get is that the quality of the team isn't "The good plays" it's "The good plays minus the bad plays".

OK, if you take the SD self induced mistakes out they win. But they made those mistakes and that goes directly to the quality of the team.

Must we go through this after every Patriots playoff victory?

Here it is: the losing team's mistakes "cost them the game." The winning team's mistakes are forgotten.

The Patriots made plenty of mistakes. But they overcame them. If they had lost, we would be talking about Brady missing a wide open Ben Watson inside the 10. Or the fumbles that weren't called that way for the Chargers (especially the first one Hobbs stripped that was never reviewed). Or the Bledsoe-like INT Brady threw right into the arms of Donnie Edwards. Or, a pet peeve of mine, when the Patriots had the hurry-up going on their first scoring drive and the refs stopped play to debate amongst themselves (I hate that). Blah, blah.

The Patriots put pressure on the Chargers, and the Chargers put pressure on the Patriots. The Patriots did more positive things (and less negative) in the face of the Chargers' pressure than the Chargers did in the face of the Patriots'.

In the end, the Chargers only got into position to score three times. The Patriots got into position to score five times.

The End.

I don't think the Pats dominated the Chargers. The Chargers really are a great team, but going into the game I was led to believe that the Chargers would dominate the Pats. I think the intensity of the game, the defensive schemes, etc. confused a lot of people on both sides of the ball (even Brady), and that caused many of the mistakes. Sure, the Chargers made more mistakes than the Pats, but that's how all football games are won or lost.

You can't fault McCree for running with an interception. How was he to know that our best defensive WR would be right there to strip the ball away from him?

Marty certainly made mistakes, but he had some bad luck. For instance, he tried but failed to call a timeout before our two-point conversion. His decision to go for it on fourth and 11 (rather than try a 49 yard FG) was predicated on the belief that his team could protect Rivers so that, in the worst case, the Pats would get the ball around the 30 yard line. I think a lot of coaches would have tried that, unless they felt sure they could get a 49 yard FG.

The bonehead fouls were a sign of immaturity and lack of discipline, but we had a couple of bonehead holding calls against Mankins.

A reason we're so proud of this game is that the Chargers are outstanding. They were within a hair of breaking the game open for almost three quarters, but the Pats did just enough to prevent that from happening. I bet we'll be meeting again during the playoffs next year.

That is the best and most correct post I've read yet. I agree 100%. I still am baffled by the loss. It was the worst game played this year as a team by the Chargers. The 2 week layoff? Who knows. The playoff seasoned Patriots just hanging around the entire game? Who knows. I hope every player on the Chargers learned from this because we're young and we'll be back next year.

I will say this to me it's very obvious that the team with the most experience in playoffs won. The team that knew how to deal with the high intesity and high emotions in the playoffs won. The Patriots play a very patient game. We forced Brady into his worst playoff game yet he still perfomed when he needed. We completely took away your running game. Yet you still moved the ball when needed. It really is glaring how disciplined the Pats were.

What separates the dynasty Pats team from a pretender team like the Chargers is that the dynasty Pats teams can overcome their mistakes (Brady's uncharacteristic 3 INT's for example) and win a game while the Chargers can't.

I think the Pats blow the Chargers out if Brady was his usual self in this game.

You're kidding right? C'mon man what game were you watching. The reason why Brady was struggling was the pressure. Take the timing away and the ball isn't where it should be. MAN at least give some credit where credit is due.

Ok then I think the Chargers blow out the Pats if Parker and Gates actually held onto the ball. It stupid to get into a pissing match.

Must we go through this after every Patriots playoff victory?

Here it is: the losing team's mistakes "cost them the game." The winning team's mistakes are forgotten.
We do go thru it every year and, truthfully, though unintentional by those who point it out, ultimately they are paying this Pats dynasty the ultimate compliment. They are just too stupid to realize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down