PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The best thing for this team moving forward? No more BOB

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Honestly, and I don't want to sound like NEM here (for those who remember), but I think BOB was one of the worst offensive co-ordinators we've seen in a long time.

Sure we had the offensive numbers, but something ALOT of us are forgetting... we played absolutely nobody the latter half of the season. And in pretty much every game we lost, the offense was as much if not more to blame than our "last ranked defense".

We have tremendous talent on the offensive side of the ball and I'm really stoked to see what McDaniels can do with it.

geez, change the title of this stinker.

offer the man some courtesy and agree to disagree next time.

McDaniels could not find a way to put 20 points on the Gaints defense just like BOB could not find a way. the offense is all about Brady if you stop him you stop the offense

McDaniels could not find a way to put 20 points on the Gaints defense just like BOB could not find a way. the offense is all about Brady if you stop him you stop the offense

Josh did it once. Boob didn't get past 24.

If only BOB had caught that pass from Brady....

Theres an old saying in foot ball that applies to the offense, it goes something like this. If you find something that works keep doing it until the defense stops you I don't think BOB ever heard of this but it makes a lot of sense. A good example would be BJGE is running the ball for good effect, if you applied the old saying i posted you'd keep running Benny until the defense stopped him. Did we EVER see BOB employ this strategy? very rarely if ever. How many times did we see BOB run Benny 3-4 times and then yank him (even if he was gaining 4-5 yards at a time). Then you wouldn't see Benny for a quarter or two. I'm glad hes gone

Last edited:
I'm happy to see him go. I feel our offense was far too bland with BOB. We had some absurd, malleable weapons, but never really surprised any defenses. It was always our best out-manning their best, which of course is great, but I feel like coaching/play-calling never put us in a position to surprise and exploit a defense. Things were so obvious, just well-executed, which led to dominating lesser opponents and being slowed down by great D's that could physically hang with us.

Did we EVER see BOB employ this strategy? very rarely if ever. How many times did we see BOB run Benny 3-4 times and then yank him (even if he was gaining 4-5 yards at a time). Then you wouldn't see Benny for a quarter or two. I'm glad hes gone

preaching to the choir ,brother....

Last edited:
BoB was a adequate OC. Frustrating at times, especially in regards to the run game. But all things considered, the O looked good for the most part.

I am very happy Josh is back tho. Really looking forward to see what McD does with the O.

I wish BoB all the best at Penn State. And he is going to need it. B/c Urban Meyer is going to run the Big10 for years to come...

Last edited:
I'd think you'd havve to be at least kinda good if you put up back to back 500 point offenses. Just saiyan.

You have to be pretty spoiled to think O'Brien was anything other than a great OC.

He played a huge role in getting the most out of these tight ends. It was also O'Brien who wanted to feature the TE position as the centerpiece of this offense in the first place. I remember Reiss making that point explicitly before they drafted Hernandez and Gronk.

It's just unreal that people can find a way to complain about the OC who led the #3 offense in the league. He's a good coach. He could've committed to the run more at times, but it's hard to blame his thinking when you have the receivers this team does. As Belichick says, you have to look at the whole body of work, and it looks pretty damn good to me.

I guarantee you that people complain about McDaniels this year. I remember him also getting bashed for not running enough, not making enough adjustments, etc.

Every fan of every team thinks their OC sucks.

I was checking out some of the productivity in denvers passing game under McD, thought it was interesting

Kyle Orton went from averaging a 55% comp, qbr of 79, 2500yds in his 1st 2 full season at Chicago to 60.5%, 86qbr, 3700yds in 2 seasons with McD.

The ball was being spread around nicely alllowing the lower end of the depth to produce and stay active.
In 2008 there were 5 main contributers in the receiving game, in 2009-2010 there were 7-9.

Wide receivers LLoyd, Gaffney and Royal had different skill sets that saw marked improvement as well.

Playing for 2 different teams Lloyd had 70rec and 996yds in 2011 getting passes from 4 different QB’s 2 jag’s freely/clemens, Orton(avrge/possible jag) and Bradford.

Looks like McD has a knack for maximizing a players skill set and integrating it into the offense. I'd of liked to seen Ocho, Slater, Price and Edelman out there on 4WR sets just to force them some touches so they don't get cold on the bench(well if we ever had a good lead that is):p

Last edited:
Honestly, and I don't want to sound like NEM here (for those who remember), but I think BOB was one of the worst offensive co-ordinators we've seen in a long time.

Sure we had the offensive numbers, but something ALOT of us are forgetting... we played absolutely nobody the latter half of the season. And in pretty much every game we lost, the offense was as much if not more to blame than our "last ranked defense".

We have tremendous talent on the offensive side of the ball and I'm really stoked to see what McDaniels can do with it.

Stick to the booze that leaves the other guy away will ya'.:cool:

I was checking out some of the productivity in denvers passing game under McD, thought it was interesting

Kyle Orton went from averaging a 55% comp, qbr of 79, 2500yds in his 1st 2 full season at Chicago to 60.5%, 86qbr, 3700yds in 2 seasons with McD.

The ball was being spread around nicely alllowing the lower end of the depth to produce and stay active.
In 2008 there were 5 main contributers in the receiving game, in 2009-2010 there were 7-9.

Wide receivers LLoyd, Gaffney and Royal had different skill sets that saw marked improvement as well.

Playing for 2 different teams Lloyd had 70rec and 996yds in 2011 getting passes from 4 different QB’s 2 jag’s freely/clemens, Orton(avrge/possible jag) and Bradford.

Looks like McD has a knack for maximizing a players skill set and integrating it into the offense. I'd of liked to seen Ocho, Slater, Price and Edelman out there on 4WR sets just to force them some touches so they don't get cold on the bench(well if we ever had a good lead that is):p

Talk to me about running backs and run blocking under Josh McD.

Talk to me about running backs and run blocking under Josh McD.

With McDaniels as OC and Cassel at the helm in 2008, the Pats RBs ranked in franchise history:
Rushing attempts: 11th all-time/3rd in last 25 years
Rushing yards: 6th/1st
Rushing YPA: 5th/1st

And in the NFL that season they ranked:
Rushing attempts: 4th
Rushing yards: 6th
Rushing YPA: 7th

With McDaniels as OC and Cassel at the helm in 2008, the Pats RBs ranked in franchise history:
Rushing attempts: 11th all-time/3rd in last 25 years
Rushing yards: 6th/1st
Rushing YPA: 5th/1st

And in the NFL that season they ranked:
Rushing attempts: 4th
Rushing yards: 6th
Rushing YPA: 7th

That was more out of neccessity with Brady out. Taking some of the load off Cassel.

also had a pretty decent year from Jordan, Faulk and Morris too.

Last edited:
For those that not happy with BOB, do you feel Josh McD will be more satisfactory?

I recall a lot of teeth-gnashing when he was here before... to the point one could probably take old Josh McD posts and put "BOB" in, and vice versa...

Every fan of every team thinks their OC sucks.

The OC is the mother-in-law of the coaching hierarchy. We all have them, we think less of them than a friend or outsider may…and sometimes we might miss them when they are gone.

Theres an old saying in foot ball that applies to the offense, it goes something like this. If you find something that works keep doing it until the defense stops you I don't think BOB ever heard of this but it makes a lot of sense. A good example would be BJGE is running the ball for good effect, if you applied the old saying i posted you'd keep running Benny until the defense stopped him. Did we EVER see BOB employ this strategy? very rarely if ever. How many times did we see BOB run Benny 3-4 times and then yank him (even if he was gaining 4-5 yards at a time). Then you wouldn't see Benny for a quarter or two. I'm glad hes gone

Agree with the complaint but not sure it all belongs in the lap of the OC. Much of the playcalling belongs in the lap of Tom Brady. Brady has much more say over this offense than many fans give him credit for. As long as Tommy's ego goes unchecked with BB this problem will continue. And it is a problem as we see every January when defenses are allowed to play real football and that soft arena ball the Patriots O excels at isn't anywhere near as effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes