Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Best Summation of Why Conservatives Were Shocked by the Election

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by shmessy, Nov 9, 2012.

1. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Not a mocking column at all, but a deeply thoughtful analysis of the battle between facts/ data vs. gut feelings (which members of BOTH parties are guilty more times than not).

The America in the Next Seat
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Well said.. also think that the efforts of Gingrich, Perry et al to dehumanize Willard had very negative impact, something that he had a very difficult time recovering from. Remember the convention, they spent three days just trying to humanize the guy... and it still made no impact. Romney is not a real likeable guy, neither if Ryan.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +361 / 1 / -9

I wasn't shocked, I predicted it, all one had to do was look at the New Culture that is spreading like wildfire in the country, America is changing, the obsession with sex, the anger against all religions (Except Muslim it is considered racist to criticize their religion) the Brainwashing of young people by the Left Wing MSM, the demonization of successful buisnesmen, the hatred of the rich man (who will the poor man work for) and the constant ranting and raving by the filthy dishonest lying grinning pervert politicians.

In the near future America will divide itself into several little country's, America's History Books will be destroyed, America as we knew it will be destroyed.

The new suck and f--- generation will be running the show then somewhere down the line the whole country will self destruct the different races will all be at war with each other then finally, America will be nothing more than another third world shlt hole.
    God Willing I will never live to see it, May The Lord God Be With You And Yours.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  4. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +291 / 4 / -9

I wasn't shocked, either........I predicted Obama would win......most people did.

I'm also not shocked that nothing has changed. Just like nothing changed after the 2008 election.

I still don't understand the notion that this election was any kind of mandate with the possible exception that both sides have been mandated to work together.

the biggest change from 2008 to 2012 was that Obama got 10M fewer votes and his percentage lowered in 46 of 51 states plus DC. as much as libbies would like to think that the republicans are on precarious ground, its the liberals who are also appear to be on a ledge.

if things continue unchanged, it is by no means clear that the republicans will be the ones paying the price in 2016. right now, all they need to do is soften their stance on a couple of social issues, and the pendulum will swing their way.
  5. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +490 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

I don't think Ann Romney did her husband any favors in her convention address. Her attempt to relate to common working folk was transparently contrived and lame as hell (re., those days of hardship and struggle surviving on tuna and pasta). Whenever Mitt addressed the working man's lot he just seemed less than convincing in his ability to relate. What the Romneys should have done was simply own up to their privileged background and say something like, "Yeah, we're filthy rich and always have been. But don't hold that against us, because we have some great ideas for moving the nation forward."
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

As i said in another thread somewhere ... anyone living in a melting pot kind of state is not shocked at this ... I doubt many in New England are shocked at all. But when you live in an area that is predominantly white ... perhaps it's a shock. Oh well ... get used to it ... the USA has been changing big time over the last 20-25 years ... maybe more.
  7. shmessy

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Yeah, this time, he did almost as badly as George W. Bush in 2000 and 2004.

Good thing THAT guy never became President! :D :D :D
  8. shmessy

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

I guess Dick Morris, Karl Rove and Michael Barone all live in Alabama.
  9. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +291 / 4 / -9

LOL at the pointlessness of your reply...... obama's incompetence does rival that of bush
  10. shmessy

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

It was right on the point. Your post was about the electoral numbers.

I understand, you are grieving.
  11. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +291 / 4 / -9

yes.....I am so despondent, all I can think about is getting stoned and watching 2 chicks do it
  12. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

13. OMGWTFJUDD

OMGWTFJUDD Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

As an outsider, to me it looked like Mitt wasn't a bad guy trying to appeal to a group of people (the Rep base) to ensure he got the nomination, but it came at the expense of the broader electorate in the Prez race.

I don't think people around the world have a problem with wealthy people running for high office, but people all over the world can smell a phony. I'm sure all candidates have a whiff of phony, but it's important to be appear less phony than your opponent.

If Mitt had held his nerve during the primary race and stayed moderate then a wider range of people may have voted for him in the election. The problem is he may not have got the Rep nomination.

The Republicans need to address how badly they damage their broader image during the primary race, otherwise they will be reliant on people only electing them because they are sick of the incumbent president.

OR they have to find a "miracle' candidate who can survive the primary race, which pushes the candidates so far to the right they look like nutjobs.
  14. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Again, Obama was ripe for defeat. Instead, the election was a clear repudiation of fatally flawed right wing ideology. ... Baring a new depression, it will get worse as the right's base continues to die off.

Time to completely reprogram, conservatives. You can continue the hatred and division, just hide it better, and avoid talking about rape, trickle down, and the plight of those poor corporations who are "people too."

Fail.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  15. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +291 / 4 / -9

Let me get this straight .....democrats suck but Republicans suck too.....
  16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +361 / 1 / -9

Obama Is Bush.
  17. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

Yeah, when he lost in 2000, Bush and Pals acted like they gave the Dems a sound whooping. When he actually won the popular vote by a fraction of a percent, he proclaimed he had a mandate.

"I've earned political capital, and now I'm going to spend it."

:ugh:

Start thinking '14, pubbie congresscritters... start now, and think long and hard before "standing on principle" and tanking this country further, like you did with the debt cieling debacle. You are the problem, and the American people know it... if you're in a safe district, fear the primary. Teabaggers are polling somewhere south of atheists right now. Screw it up any more and you'll be looking with envy on the favorability ratings of terrorists and pedophiles.

PFnV
  18. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +379 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

Yeah, I agree with some of the sentiment expressed by partisans on both sides here: the Pubs need to dump the neocon ideology as well as the Religious Right and get into the national discussion. If they do that, they'll be a viable party again.

And yes, Romney got a lot of the vote, but I'm convinced most of those were not votes FOR Romney and the Pubs, but votes against Obama. If the Pubs had put forth even a decent candidate, Obama would be hitting the lecture circuit around Valentine's Day.

2014 and 2016 might be interesting, or not...I'm just disappointed that the early returns on the third party candidates didn't pan out. We need reasonable, unsponsored (or less sponsored) voices in the national discourse.
  19. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

That is correct! That's basically what the voting results tell us.
  20. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

And if we don't, we get what we deserve....