PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The best player the Patriots ever let go

Status
Not open for further replies.

3 to be 4

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
there are a ton to choose from. But I think the biggest mistake they ever made was letting Curtis Martin go. They didnt recover from that until Dillon, and now Maroney.
at least Belichick came to make us all forget Parcells. But Martin and his hall of fame career was let go for 2 draft picks. Robert Edwards, who even if he stayed healthy was no Curtis Martin, and the stiff fullback.

Plunkett's time to go had come and they got a boatload of draft picks. Mike Haynes was a big loss to.

While Bledsoe and Glenn got a lot of headlines in 1996, Curtis Martin was their best and most consistant performer, the Emmitt Smith of the team and a guy they could have build around for years.

discuss.

3 to be 4 said:
there are a ton to choose from. But I think the biggest mistake they ever made was letting Curtis Martin go. They didnt recover from that until Dillon, and now Maroney.
at least Belichick came to make us all forget Parcells. But Martin and his hall of fame career was let go for 2 draft picks. Robert Edwards, who even if he stayed healthy was no Curtis Martin, and the stiff fullback.

Plunkett's time to go had come and they got a boatload of draft picks. Mike Haynes was a big loss to.

While Bledsoe and Glenn got a lot of headlines in 1996, Curtis Martin was their best and most consistant performer, the Emmitt Smith of the team and a guy they could have build around for years.

discuss.

A good case could be made for Curtis, but I wish Ty Law was still around.

Tunescribe said:
A good case could be made for Curtis, but I wish Ty Law was still around.

its been great watching Law and Huard helping the Chiefs this year. But at least when they let Law go, his very best years were behind him, Martins career had just gotten off the ground.

Martian.

Law.

Milloy. Overpaid... but I wanted too see what he and Harrison could have been in the backfield. That would have been nasty for sure.

Last edited:
Irving Fryar made 4 Pro Bowls after he left the Pats. He's gotta be right up there with Curtis Martin and Mike Haynes.

I'd say Mike Haynes, but I don't recall the circumstances that lead to his departure. Martin's departure was unfortunate, but the poison-pill contract offered by the Jets (now illegal) would not have been a solid move to match. This makes it tough to say the Pats "let him go".

Regards,
Chris

chris_in_sunnyvale said:
I'd say Mike Haynes, but I don't recall the circumstances that lead to his departure. Martin's departure was unfortunate, but the poison-pill contract offered by the Jets (now illegal) would not have been a solid move to match. This makes it tough to say the Pats "let him go".

Regards,
Chris
Agree on both counts (Haynes and Martin).

Add Nick Bunoconti. Traded in 1969 for never did anything QB Kim Hammond. Nick (from Springfield,MA) anchored the Fins defense for years including the undefeated 1972 team.

I'd like to add Ron Mix, who the Pats had in 1960 but traded to San Diego for QB Tom Greene. Mix was probably the best Offensive Lineman in AFL history. Greene weas not the best of QB's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes