PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Belichick the Superficial Media Never Get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill Belichick on HS Super Bowls - Boston High School Blog - ESPN Boston

This guy is a treasure. He doesn't play the fake, yuck-it-up game for the press, but when someone actually engages him in a conversation - - he can be absolutuely enlightening.

Especially when he starts with the X's and O's and breaking down plays, it's truly an education. IIRC in 2006 when the Pats lost to Indy in the AFCCG, they had him on the Super Bowl pre-game show diagramming plays and he was in his element.

Great article. Great comments and insights by coach.

Meanwhile...at the Jets practice facility, coach Rex Ryan was elaborating about the Sausage Parm Sub he had for snacktime.

I really wish he was this disengaged and stupid, then I'd have no concern about Monday night.

Especially when he starts with the X's and O's and breaking down plays, it's truly an education. IIRC in 2006 when the Pats lost to Indy in the AFCCG, they had him on the Super Bowl pre-game show diagramming plays and he was in his element.

Just to build on this point, I saw Belichick speak at SCSU 4 or 5 years ago.

His opening was pretty bland, talking about the importance of education and getting your degree. There was a decent amount of "um's" and "ah's" in that portion of his speech.

Then he started talking about football and his knowledge and passion on that subject really came through. Any hesitancy from the opening portion of the speech was gone.

When we get some time and distance from Belichick's career, I think it's going to seem bizarre that one of the knocks on him was that he didn't provide sound bites to the press.

Just to build on this point, I saw Belichick speak at SCSU 4 or 5 years ago.

His opening was pretty bland, talking about the importance of education and getting your degree. There was a decent amount of "um's" and "ah's" in that portion of his speech.

Then he started talking about football and his knowledge and passion on that subject really came through. Any hesitancy from the opening portion of the speech was gone.

When we get some time and distance from Belichick's career, I think it's going to seem bizarre that one of the knocks on him was that he didn't provide sound bites to the press.

Still Waters Run Deep.

If the press wants fun fluff - - Rex Ryan is the guy.

If you want diamonds, you have to mine deep into the mountain.

I remember him expounding on the kicking game a few years ago. 15 minutes of the intricacies of punting and kick-offs, ball spin, end over end, coffin corner,wet ball, cold ball, into the wind,snow, ice, everything you would ever want to know about the kicker's game.

His depth of knowledge of such an obscure subject is remarkable. He lives to educate, if you're able to ask the right question and listen.

All the mass media bs just bores him and wastes his time.

Ryan would have said " I hate effin kickers. "

The media does not get him at all, and it is perpetuated by the mediots.. if asked an intelligent question, particularly about football. he responds intelligently and eloquently.

If you ask him stupid questions, like: Where do you keep your Superbowl Rings???, he responds arrogantly..

This is just one example of why BB is a winner. He just wants to do his job, and let the attention go to someone else, which allows him to see the value in something like a HS Coach being a mentor to a kid.
On the other hand its very rare to see someone who must constantly yell "Look at me." and tell people how great they are, to actually become a winner.

Great to read, thanks. BB is truly a football guy, loves talking about it, any level, anything relating to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes