PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The baseline for a Butler extension has been set...

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's short though....he's not Richard Sherman

Most DBs are 5-9/5-10 because quickness is the most important thing for coverage. Sherman is the outlier, it's tough to find big guys. Saying that Sherman primarily plays on the outside. His skillset fits a zone offense. BB basically chose Revis over Talib, i think one of the reasons was because Revis could move around a lot more on the field than Talib. Sherman falls in that same category. There are things that Butler does better, there are things that Sherman is better.

Most DBs are 5-9/5-10 because quickness is the most important thing for coverage. Sherman is the outlier, it's tough to find big guys. Saying that Sherman primarily plays on the outside. His skillset fits a zone offense. BB basically chose Revis over Talib, i think one of the reasons was because Revis could move around a lot more on the field than Talib. Sherman falls in that same category. There are things that Butler does better, there are things that Sherman is better.

BB is on record as saying he wanted Talib back, but once he signed with DEN they moved very quickly on Mevis.

I take that as BB would have been totally fine with Talib back.

Considering how MB made the most important play in our SB tours, grew instantly into a CB1 the following yr and is playing as well as a top 10 CB, I say pay that dude. He is a truly god-sent gift.

BB is on record as saying he wanted Talib back, but once he signed with DEN they moved very quickly on Mevis.

I take that as BB would have been totally fine with Talib back.

Yeah, if anything, Revis was the contingency prize.

1) We act as if the team can decide the amount of Butler's contract extension and get an early discount. This simply isn't true. Butler can certainly wait until the season is over.

2) The OPEN question is bow much Butler is worth on the open market, AND how much Belichick would be willing to pay. Would Belichick pay Butler $13M a year?

3) The final issue (and hope) is that a team will not give Butler full value since they will need to include a 1st as part of the deal. I hear this over and over. Let's see.

Consider if a team were to offer a 1st in trade for Butler, with the understanding that Butler was going to renegotiate a long-term deal. How much would that deal be for? The patriots wouldn't take a 1st for Butler you say. OK. After the season, that part of the equation is settled. The team would have to take a 1st if they didn't want to pay Butler the very high price that such a team would be likely to give. We argue over a couple of million a year. There are probably at least a couple of teams with enough cap money to offer Butler $12M-$13M AAV with a large first year cap hit.

IMHO, we should be spending a lot of effort trying to extend Ryan and Harmon. The Butler situation will likely work itself out, perhaps with him staying, perhaps not.

We already know how likely it is that a first rounder can step right in. Extending Ryan would give the team some flexibility, although if Butler goes we will draft a corner AND get a midlevel or top CB in free agency.

Yeah, if anything, Revis was the contingency prize.
Helluva prize....For one year.

Imagine if he stayed? Talib on one side and Malcolm on the other. Damn.

His stock can only go up....best dealt with early, while good will still is around....waiting till free agency looms increases the chances of competition or the cost of the FT, and hurt feelings complicating the negotiations...Long story short, right now with an extension, I can see..

4 yr. 42 m.

12 m. up front
24 m. total guaranteed
cap by yr.
17-9 m., 18-10 m., 19-11 m., 20-12m.
If this goes to FA these numbers will blow out of range and the FT is more likely...Makes it tough to retain him...Believe it !!!

Helluva prize....For one year.

Imagine if he stayed? Talib on one side and Malcolm on the other. Damn.

I think Denver is what they are because of Talib. Not sure if that's a popular or unpopular opinion but he seems like the reason for the turnaround.

I think Denver is what they are because of Talib. Not sure if that's a popular or unpopular opinion but he seems like the reason for the turnaround.

Having Von Miller helps any CB.

I agree. While he was good here Talib raised his game in Denver. Not sure why. While I don't think Kubiak is better than BB imo hes doing a pretty good job out there. Could be Wade Phillips too. He's good.

Having Von Miller helps any CB.

I agree. While he was good here Talib raised his game in Denver. Not sure why. While I don't think Kubiak is better than BB imo hes doing a pretty good job out there. Could be Wade Phillips too. He's good.
I'm not sure if he's playing better in Denver, but he's staying on the field.

IMHO, we should be spending a lot of effort trying to extend Ryan and Harmon. The Butler situation will likely work itself out, perhaps with him staying, perhaps not.

I think both of them will demand more money than their projected role (Harmon) or performance (Ryan) deserves.

Harmon especially will want to get to a team where he can be more in the spotlight to have a chance at an even bigger payday I'd assume.

Ryan is just in this weird zone where the market prizes for CBs have just made him essentially instantly overpaid on his second contract unless he improves substantially.

I think they'd take a first for him. 5m per year is probably what bb wants to pay. Should have used their leverage to low ball him already. Show him a 5m signing bonus and 10more guaranteed and he would have signed.

Here are the details of the Robert Alford extension. Like to thank Ben Volin for the details.

Attachments

• alford.png
    alford.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back