Welcome to PatsFans.com

The "Bailout" will pass:

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Run DMC, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Run DMC

Run DMC Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I'm watching the vote right now. This bill will pass even though the great majority of the American people do not want it. Democracy? My ass!
  2. Run DMC

Run DMC Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My faith in democracy has been restored. Good job by the republican house members!
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

Looks like it's a loser as of right now.
  4. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Bread or Freedom ?
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +291 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Right, the majority of Americans don't want it - but they're also clueless about the repercussions. I guess we'll find out now . . . .
  6. Run DMC

Run DMC Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Don't believe the hype BF. Recessions are inevitable, we will survive this. Putting it off only makes things worse in the long run.
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +291 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Maybe the hype is overblown - I'm not saying it's not. What I am saying, though, is opinion polls are useless as those giving the opinion have no clue about macro economics. It's like Belichick calling plays based on a Gillette Stadium vote; the people think they know but they don't.
  8. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

I would put my faith in the veracity of your forecasts, however your last one 17 minutes ago sucked an egg.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  9. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Good job, the first sane responsible move in YEARS.

A bailout would just give the remaining rich time to get out, before it all collapsed for good.

You all have to understand a major recession is inevitable, the question is do you want to put it off and suffer way more pain, or take less pain right now.
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

I agree with your reasoning 100%. A poll is useless if people don't fully understand what the issue is. If what I've been reading is correct, then a failure to pass some for of legislation that provides some cash to the banking system, then a run could occur. If that happens, then we could be in some very serious trouble. The ramifications of multiple bank failures, could be catostrophic. Let's hope the dangers have been overblown.
  11. Run DMC

Run DMC Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Well I have to admit sometimes I am too cynical.:eek: I still say Dow 7500 will happen and life will go on. I think the message sent today by Americans is "eff you Wall St", and I must say I like it, although my portfolio doesn't.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

So if their is a run on banks as a result of the House's failure to pass a bailout plan, that'll only hurt the rich right? :rolleyes:
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +291 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I think the message sent by Congress is "eff you Americans". I guess we'll see who's right :D
  14. mr3putt

mr3putt Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Congress is taking a huge risk here.

TBills the only safe haven....check your banks fiscal status on the FDIC website. You only have $100k worth of protection.....maybe.

Some say the FDIC could not cover a major run on the banks.

Right now we are in uncharted territory.

Damn these elections!!!!!!!
  15. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

I agree with RW. The folks who voted against this have got to show the American people that they care about folks' economic welfare as much as they care about ideology.

I would hope that they care just as much for the former as they do of the latter.
  16. Run DMC

Run DMC Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The Fed will continue to print it's funny money and flood the markets with it. Alot of businesses will go under and that is ok. New ones will come along and replace the old. You cannot stop the economic cycle.
  17. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

You still don't get it, do you? Despite everything that's happened the past year you are still in denial.

The run on banks is happening no matter what. The bailout would have made things EVEN WORSE later on, if you can even fathom that.
  18. Run DMC

Run DMC Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Just read WAMU CEO who has been in the position for 3 weeks, is walking away with $18 mill. pay package due to takeover. Soemthing is wrong with this system and people are FED UP!!!!
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

Please. When was the last time you offered anything informative to back up your hysteria about any of the doomsday posts you make, on the variety of topics you obsess about? You don't even know what the bailout proposal is, does, or is meant to do. You have no clue what the repurcusions would be to yourself, if the dangers of no policy passing are true. The problem with most people is that they see the world through their own two eyes, and on through the eyes of reality.

Please tell me how the bailout would make things "EVEN WORSE" later on? I'm curious.
  20. Real World

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

putt, I despise the idea of a bailout. It makes my blood boil. However, if the people I talk to are correct, then something has to be passed. What you say about the FDIC is 100% correct. People I know have been moving funds into more stable institutions, and have advised us here to do the same. There is a genuine fear of some major players going under. Imagine the company, or any company, losing everything but $100k. The FDIC only covers, and I checked with our CPA, $100k per individual, or entity. It does not cover by account number. That means Joe Blow/ACME Inc, even if he/it has 7 different accounts with $100k in them, will only be covered for $100k total. Imagine how many people & business' who are innocent in this mess, would be hurt by a systematic failure? People who are flashing the finger because they are emotionally upset with a bailout, could lose their jobs, and some of them don't realize that.

You described it best. It's unchartered territory. It could be totally overblown (which I hope), or it could be genuinely bad. We don't know. My concern is a run on banks, which would mean that innocent people, and business' get fukced, and lose everything. I hope that's not the case either way.