PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The back-to-back run plays from the 5 vs. Browns..

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I'm referring to the 2 running plays in the red zone with about 6+ minutes left in the second quarter on Sunday...

When I first watched the game, I was a little puzzled and I'm sure many were feeling the same way. But I sat down and watched the first half again yesterday, I realized both were good calls:

It once again illuminates how they are using Moss and the fact that the Browns were dedicating 2 defenders to him at all times. It certainly creates an advantage, and ultimately, both plays came down to poor execution. Specifically, on that 3rd and goal, Hochstein - who played well otherwise - missed a block. And if he hadn't, (much to my surprise and my feelings on the initial watch on Sunday) it was clear that Morris would have simply walked in for a TD.

Last edited:
I'm referring to the 2 running plays in the red zone with about 6+ minutes left in the second quarter on Sunday...

When I first watched the game, I was a little puzzled and I'm sure many were feeling the same way. But I sat down and watched the first half again yesterday, I realized both were good calls:

It once again illuminates how they are using Moss and the fact that the Browns were dedicating 2 defenders to him at all times. It certainly creates an advantage, and ultimately, both plays came down to poor execution. Specifically, on that 3rd and goal, Hochstein - who played well otherwise - missed a block. And if he hadn't, (much to my surprise and my feelings on the initial watch on Sunday) it was clear that Morris would have simply walked in for a TD.

I thought it was clear the plan was going to be to go for it on 4th. Typically when we run on 3rd and medium, its because we plan to go for it. If we had a short gain, or no gain, we would have gone for it. Good call in all circumstnaces, except for the one where you lose 4 yards.

I thought it was clear the plan was going to be to go for it on 4th. Typically when we run on 3rd and medium, its because we plan to go for it. If we had a short gain, or no gain, we would have gone for it. Good call in all circumstnaces, except for the one where you lose 4 yards.

Hmm, good point, I hadn't thought of that. Still, I believe the play would have been successful for a TD had it been executed as expected. If you watch again, you see if Hochstein gets his man, Morris has a clear path to the end zone.

Honestly, I thought it was BB's subtle way of not "running up" the score on Romeo.

Honestly, I thought it was BB's subtle way of not "running up" the score on Romeo.

This was much earlier in the game, in the second quarter, not the series at the end.

oops. sorry about that.

No problem. Although, I spose you could argue BB was going easy on Romeo even in the 2nd quarter :D ;)

FYI, Reiss in today's Globe's Patriots Notebook made note of missed blocks by Hochstein AND Light on these red zone plays. I didn't notice Light, but I trust Reiss there. Anyway, the point is, these plays came down to execution and not play calling.

Last edited:
No problem. Although, I spose you could argue BB was going easy on Romeo even in the 2nd quarter :D ;)

FYI, Reiss in today's Globe's Patriots Notebook made note of missed blocks by Hochstein AND Light on these red zone plays. I didn't notice Light, but I trust Reiss there. Anyway, the point is, these plays came down to execution and not play calling.

As is clearly the case 9 times out of 10, except in game threads. ;)

As is clearly the case 9 times out of 10, except in game threads. ;)

Yup. Well, as I said in my original post, if I had been in a game thread at the time, I probably would've been one of those perplexed by the calls...just goes to show you the importance of not basing one's initial reaction on what one sees as the game progresses live. Well, and also shows you why I don't work in Foxboro :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back