PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Athletic Fits

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
I've gone through the combine by position to find the athletic superstars of this combine that I think could end up on our Big Board. Just some things to bear in mind:

1. Only used people that have taken part so no ASJ/Tuitt etc.

2. No QB/DT because I don't think they can necessarily be defined by specific combine tests.

3. I'll update DBs after tomorrow.

4. Haven't really considered value or film, just athleticism.

5. Names in bold are those I think have a good chance of being Patriot picks.

RB 3 cone, vertical, speed

Bishop Sankey
Tyler Gaffney
Jerick McKinnon
Lorenzo Taliaferro
Lache Seastrunk
Tre Mason
George Atkinson
Andre Williams

Missed Cut

Dri Archer (Too small)

WR speed, 3 cone, SS, vertical?

Damian Copeland
Kevin Norwood
Odell Beckham
Bruce Ellington
Brandin Cooks
Michael Campanaro
Jared Abbrederis
Donte Moncrief

On Bubble

Devin Street (40 above 4.5)
Allan Robinson (Same)

Left Out

Jeff Janis (Small school)
Davante Adams (Slow short shuttle)
TJ Jones (slow short shuttle)

TE Speed, 3 cone

Eric Ebron
CJ Fiedorowicz

On Bubble

Jace Amaro (Slow 3 cone)
Logan Thomas (conversion)

Left Out (Slow 40)

Arthur Lynch
Richard Rodgers
Crockett Gilmore

OL Short Shuttle, vertical, 10 yd split

Gabe Ikard
Joel Bitonio
Xavier Su'a Filo
John Urschel
Ja'Wuan James
Matt Patchan
Charles Leno Jnr

Pass Rusher 3 cone

Kony Ealy
Jackson Jeffcoat
Cassius Marsh
Trent Murphy

LB Vertical, 3 cone

Tyler Starr
Jordan Tripp
Ryan Shazier
Kevin Pierre-Louis

Fire away.

Calling it right now, going on record. The pats first pick in the draft will be Xavier Su'a-Filo

Kevin Pierre-Louis is interesting. Just had my first look at him. A candidate for that Adrian Wilson SS type role perhaps?

Kevin Pierre-Louis vs North Carolina (2013) | Draft Breakdown

His measurements:

32 1/4
10 1/8

Testing:

4.51 official with 1.53/1.54 10 yd
28 reps
39" vert
10'8" Broad
6.92 3 cone
4.02 short shuttle

Those numbers aren't too dissimilar to Jamie Collins and you certainly see some of that explosion in the video above.

I think I'm going to like him a lot.

Even though we seem to be set at Rb I love Bishop Sankey out of Washington. Not only did he kill it at the combine but he was super productive against all the top competition he faced. If things go sour with Blount I'd like the Pats to take a flier on him. To be honest I'm still not sure how I feel about Blount. He had some great games but he had some mediocre ones too. People just seem to remember the stretch run. I remember the 3 yards and a cloud of dust carries too. It's really hard to peg at this point how well he builds upon his strong finish to the season. Right now I just don't see must sign unless it's a cap friendly deal.

Stevan Ridley was an upgrade over BJGE athletically, and I think Andre Williams will be an upgrade over Ridley for us.

Ridley:

5'11
1.60 10 yard split
36" vertical
9' 10" broad jump

Williams:

5'11
1.56 10 yard split
38" vertical
10' 9" broad jump

Williams complete lack of receiving ability should keep him somewhere in the 3rd-4th round. Also remember that BB's main RBs usually lack receiving ability anyway. (Ridley/Blount, BJGE, Maroney, Dillon, Smith) I think he would provide a cheap upgrade at RB for the next four years.

Stevan Ridley was an upgrade over BJGE athletically, and I think Andre Williams will be an upgrade over Ridley for us.

Ridley:

5'11
1.60 10 yard split
36" vertical
9' 10" broad jump

Williams:

5'11
1.56 10 yard split
38" vertical
10' 9" broad jump

Williams complete lack of receiving ability should keep him somewhere in the 3rd-4th round. Also remember that BB's main RBs usually lack receiving ability anyway. (Ridley/Blount, BJGE, Maroney, Dillon, Smith) I think he would provide a cheap upgrade at RB for the next four years.

If we can get Williams in the 6th I would be all for it. Hard to justify using an earlier pick on a RB IMO

If we can get Williams in the 6th I would be all for it. Hard to justify using an earlier pick on a RB IMO

6th would be ideal, but I wouldn't be too upset over a 4th round RB, considering Ridley/Vereen are in the last year of their deals.

I'm all in on Taliaferro if Blount doesn't return. Best blocker at the position that I've seen and has really sure hands as a receiver. Also had 6.3 yards per carry. He's a bit of a downhill runner but has some burst to go with it.

Could Albert Wilson be a poor man Odell Beckham that could be picked later in the draft?

Wilson worked out with all the prospective wide receivers Sunday at Lucas Oil Stadium.

The 5-9, 200-pounder ran a 4.43 40-yard dash, which equaled the seventh-fastest time among all wide receivers at the event.

Wilson measured 37.5 inches in the vertical jump and 123.0 inches in the broad jump.

The Port St. Lucie, Fla., native just completed a record-setting career for the Panthers, setting the school’s career records for receptions (175), receiving yards (3,190), yards per catch (18.2), touchdown receptions (23), 100-yard games (13), kickoff returns (95), kickoff return yards (2,338), kickoff returns for touchdowns (2), punt returns (41), punt return yards (376), all-purpose yards (6,235) and touchdowns scored (26).

He was an all-conference selection in both the FCS Colonial Athletic Association and the FBS Sun Belt Conference, and he earned honorable mention All-America recognition from SI.com.

link w/clips of his combine performance wwwDOT georgiastatesportsDOTcom/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12700&ATCLID=209416173

I like that his yardage was trending upwards in performance when going from FCS (All-CAA 48 receptions for 947 yards and seven touchdowns) competition to FBS (All-Sun Belt 71 catches for 1,177 yards and eight touchdowns, along with 2,283 all-purpose yards). Also, he played for five different starting QBs in four years.

My List from Combine:

On Def:
DT: Aaron Donald ( Think Atkins WANT ) - NT McCullers ( run STOP )
DT/DE: Tuitt ( Called him out 1½ years ago as pats pick ) Hageman
DE: Martin/Ealy ( LDE ) DE/OLB: Murphy - Smith
LB: Shazier ( Another WANT /Safety? ) Powell/Starr ( ST Fletcher types ) Jones (Something missed )
CB: Stanley Jean-Bartiste ( Sherman 2.0 ) McGill ( Another BIG man corner )
S: Telvin ( LB/SS )

On Off:
TE: ASJ ( Mostly cause others was that bad) Niklas/Amaro ( But only in bottom of second or later ) Fiedewowicz ( Hooman replancement round 5+ )
WR: Street ( under valued ) Cooks ( But not in 1 round ) Javis ( FA yes plz )
RB: Williams ( Bruiser replace Blount/Ridley/Bolden ) Mckinnon ( 3d back / return skills )
OL: Bitonio ( Mankins replacement NeXT year? ) Urschel ( Center! Insanely X/O guy to control the OL ) Patchan/Ikard ( Both 6+ round Guys as backups ) Spencer Long ( Didn't do combine was invitet - Medical redshirt - OG starter type )

Kevin Pierre-Louis is interesting. Just had my first look at him. A candidate for that Adrian Wilson SS type role perhaps?

Back in december
Round 4 - Kevin Pierre-Louis, LB, Boston College
This might look odd i get it, but follow me.
Lets say Spikes leaves. Fletcher is a FA and the other kid from rutgers has barely seen the field. So we have, Collins, Hightower and Mayo. Kind of thin, no?
So what do we do? We grab a fast guy, somewhat a LB/S hybrid to help out on the increasing nickel and dime packages. Wanted a cover LB? Solved!

Nice list Manx!

I'm all in on Taliaferro if Blount doesn't return. Best blocker at the position that I've seen and has really sure hands as a receiver. Also had 6.3 yards per carry. He's a bit of a downhill runner but has some burst to go with it.

Never seen him play. You think he is a better blocker and rrceiver than Freeman?

Never seen him play. You think he is a better blocker and rrceiver than Freeman?

Not seen enough of Freeman but Taliafeero dominated the senior bowl as a blocker.

Kevin Pierre-Louis vs North Carolina (2013) | Draft Breakdown

His measurements:

32 1/4
10 1/8

Testing:

4.51 official with 1.53/1.54 10 yd
28 reps
39" vert
10'8" Broad
6.92 3 cone
4.02 short shuttle

Those numbers aren't too dissimilar to Jamie Collins and you certainly see some of that explosion in the video above.

I think I'm going to like him a lot.

As I posted elsewhere, those numbers are very close to those that Ryan Shazier posted:

Measurables: Shazier 6'1" 237#, Piere Louis 6' 0 1/2" 232#
40/10-Split: Shazier didn't run the 40 at the Combine; Pierre-Louis 4.51, 1.53 split
Vertical: Shazier 42", Pierre-Louis 39"
Broad Jump: Shazier 10'10", Pierre Louis 10'8"
Bench Press: Shazier 25 reps@225#, Pierre-Louis 28 reps
3-cone: Shazier 6.91, Pierre-Louis 6.92
Short Shuttle: Shazier 4.21, Pierre-Louis 4.02

WR speed, 3 cone, SS, vertical?

Damian Copeland
Kevin Norwood
Odell Beckham
Bruce Ellington
Brandin Cooks
Michael Campanaro
Jared Abbrederis
Donte Moncrief

Great topic. I wouldn't sleep on Brandin Cooks especially if Edelman signs elsewhere. Check out some of his returns he has Edelman's patience to stop and go while setting up his blocks. Additionally he has a bit of Deion Branch in his route running and is equally adept at running ins and out at different levels in the defense. Also has good hands, runs clean routes and sets up the DBs well. He might have pushed his value to the top of the second round though.

I love Beckham and his kick returning would be great as well. Campanaro is the closest thing to a young Welker in the draft.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back