PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Art of Constructing the Pat's Final Roster 53: How well did BB do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No kidding, but all teams go through this.

Pats fans can't sing a song and dance about how deep their roster because they are releasing a couple of players other teams put in claims for when many teams throughout the league are doing this, and then watch the same Patriot team bring in older veterans to revamp your DL and OL's, and now the middle of your secondary? That is all I'm saying.

Sure they can, and I don't believe that you're so clueless that you can't see the difference. Troll better.

Last edited:
No kidding, but all teams go through this.

Pats fans can't sing a song and dance about how deep their roster because they are releasing a couple of players other teams put in claims for when many teams throughout the league are doing this, and then watch the same Patriot team bring in older veterans to revamp your DL and OL's, and now the middle of your secondary? That is all I'm saying.

Who's the old vet brought in for "the middle of the secondary?"

We have McCourty (2nd yr), Chung (3rd yr), Arrington (4th yr) Dowling (1st yr), Butler (3rd yr), Brown (2nd yr), Barrett (4th yr). They have one of the youngest and greenest secondaries in the entire NFL when you look at top to bottom.

If you're talking about a ST-only player who may very well be gone in a week or so, that's a horrible example.

Last edited:
You must feel the same way about your receiving corps, 37 year old Mason and 34 year old Burress who hasn't played since 08, your 40 year old backup QB and Lady Tomlinson.

The Jets had several critical FA's this past off-season, they weren't going to re-sign every player, the cap and new CBA wasn't going to allow it, so they did a lot in locking up the young core of their team, locking up players like Holmes, Cromartie, Harris, Mangold, and Ferguson. They brought back a quality player in Eric Smith, resigned their starting RT that played behind Woody last year in the playoffs and played well.

Edwards was a question mark due to his off-the field issues, he turned off a lot of his teammates because of the way he acted and was considered selfish, the Jets weren't going to give both players big contracts, and while they probably wanted Edwards back initially, I think over time, because the team felt chemistry was more important, they didn't want to bring back Edwards who had become somewhat of a cancer.

In Burress, they are getting a player who is highly motivated, who has provided evidence of his physical conditioning before he signed, and a player the team visited with before he went to prison, so there was a connection there. There is no questioning his talent, but it will take a couple of weeks for him to get acclimated in the Jets system and his legs under him as he returns to football. IMO, the good thing with this player and his ability is that he's a big receiver who doesn't rely on his legs or his speed, even though he is a big WR that has good speed and because of his size and stride, is always a match-up nightmare. He's flashed some of that already in the pre-season. He is a player whose career can probably be extended a couple of years because he's been out of football, sort of like Mike Vick, these players are refreshed, and are healthy with the time off, once they are in football shape, they appear to be bouncing back nicely, Vick proved this last year. His signing is no different than the Pats signing Ocho.

In Mason, we are talking about a slot WR, who will be our #3, and will rotate with Plax on the outside. This is a player who plays well despite his age, he was a starter last year, and still put up good production. Ravens fans were not happy that he didn't re-sign with the Ravens, considering the role he will be in, it's a solid pick-up and replacement for Cotchery, who was coming off of a back injury and surgery, and who didn't want to be a #3 WR, but his health was a big question mark, and his ability is easily replacable.

The Jets have some young talent in Kerley and now Gilyard who could become fixtures along with Holmes in the future, but in Burress and Mason, they are filling roles, Mason will probably only be with the team for this season.

Brunell is strictly here as Sanchez' caddy, and he's been a major help to his career and an influence to him on and off the field.

In LT, he started last year, and regained his productivity for the most part, he was an effective player last year and in the playoffs, he's still just 32, and is now a 3rd down back, the Jets have a lot of young talent at RB along side LT, not sure what your point is here...

Last edited:
Who's the old vet brought in for "the middle of the secondary?"

We have McCourty (2nd yr), Chung (3rd yr), Arrington (4th yr) Butler (3rd yr), Brown (2nd yr), Barrett (4th yr). They have one of the youngest and greenest secondaries in the entire NFL when you look at top to bottom.

If you're talking about a ST-only player who may very well be gone in a week or so, that's a horrible example.

I think it remains to be seen who establishes themself in the middle of their secondary, no? Chung will be a starter, but from most of the threads I read on this board, most fans are quite concerned about the position with the Pats releasing two former starters. Chung isn't a guarantee either.

Some think the Pats might sign a veteran safety after week 1...

I think it remains to be seen who establishes themself in the middle of their secondary, no? Chung will be a starter, but from most of the threads I read on this board, most fans are quite concerned about the position with the Pats releasing two former starters. Chung isn't a guarantee either.

Sure okay, that's fair enough, but who are you referring to when you say "older vets brought in for the middle of the secondary?" (paraphrase)

Did you have a specific example in mind?

The Jets had several critical FA's this past off-season, they weren't going to re-sign every player, the cap and new CBA wasn't going to allow it, so they did a lot in locking up the young core of their team, locking up players like Holmes, Cromartie, Harris, Mangold, and Ferguson. They brought back a quality player in Eric Smith, resigned their starting RT that played behind Woody last year in the playoffs and played well.

Edwards was a question mark due to his off-the field issues, he turned off a lot of his teammates because of the way he acted and was considered selfish, the Jets weren't going to give both players big contracts, and while they probably wanted Edwards back initially, I think over time, because the team felt chemistry was more important, they didn't want to bring back Edwards who had become somewhat of a cancer.

In Burress, they are getting a player who is highly motivated, who has provided evidence of his physical conditioning before he signed, and a player the team visited with before he went to prison, so there was a connection there. There is no questioning his talent, but it will take a couple of weeks for him to get acclimated in the Jets system and his legs under him as he returns to football. IMO, the good thing with this player and his ability is that he's a big receiver who doesn't rely on his legs or his speed, even though he is a big WR that has good speed and because of his size and stride, is always a match-up nightmare. He's flashed some of that already in the pre-season. He is a player whose career can probably be extended a couple of years because he's been out of football, sort of like Mike Vick, these players are refreshed, and are healthy with the time off, once they are in football shape, they appear to be bouncing back nicely, Vick proved this last year. His signing is no different than the Pats signing Ocho.

In Mason, we are talking about a slot WR, who will be our #3, and will rotate with Plax on the outside. This is a player who plays well despite his age, he was a starter last year, and still put up good production. Ravens fans were not happy that he didn't re-sign with the Ravens, considering the role he will be in, it's a solid pick-up and replacement for Cotchery, who was coming off of a back injury and surgery, and who didn't want to be a #3 WR, but his health was a big question mark, and his ability is easily replacable.

The Jets have some young talent in Kerley and now Gilyard who could become fixtures along with Holmes in the future, but in Burress and Mason, they are filling roles, Mason will probably only be with the team for this season.

Brunell is strictly here as Sanchez' caddy, and he's been a major help to his career and an influence to him on and off the field.

In LT, he started last year, and regained his productivity for the most part, he was an effective player last year and in the playoffs, he's still just 32, and is now a 3rd down back, the Jets have a lot of young talent at RB along side LT, not sure what your point is here...

Oh now I see, all the Jets signings of older players were smart signings who still have a lot left to offer while the Patriots were simply signing players of the retirement scrap heap. Thanks for setting the record straight on that.

Signing off, too tired for this nonsense.

Sure okay, that's fair enough, but who are you referring to when you say "older vets brought in for the middle of the secondary?" (paraphrase)

Did you have a specific example in mind?

I think he's talking about Sharper who we bought in for a workout.

The Jets had several critial FA's this past off-season, they weren't going to re-sign every player, the cap and new CBA wasn't going to allow it, so they did a lot in locking up the young core of their team, locking up players like Holmes, Cromartie, Harris, Mangold, and Ferguson. They brought back a quality player in Eric Smith, resigned their starting RT that played behind Woody last year in the playoffs and played well.

His point is how you blasted us for signing "aging" players when your team is counting on some as well. It isn't as if our season turns to crap and we have no one else if Carter or Haynesworth go down. We have depth on the DL. Us signing Waters because we have two interior linemen battling injuries isn't a big deal. We have depth when they get healthy.

His point is probably that we have good, young OL to go with Waters. We have good, young DL to go with Hayneworth, Carter and Ellis. You say you have good RBs along side LT and young talent at WR along side Mason and Burress. Why is it then that us signing a few older players means beyond them we have crap at their positions?

And fwiw--most of us are not that 'upset' that Meriweather was released, many of us simply questioned the fact that a 1st rd pick with 2 probowl appearances couldn't garner at least a mid-to-late rd pick. If Meriweather was not listening to the coaches, or had a bad attitude etc--then good riddence. Personally I think that he did have a lot of good attributes to offer, but Belichick doesn't put up with malcontents and nonsense.

Chung is super fast, a very high pick, has produced in many ways, has continued to make strides (most importantly), and constantly has a nose for the ball. He tackles well, is extremely physical, and can line up on the line with the best of them. He certainly is a bright and upcoming talent. What some of us are worried about is his specific coverage skills. Apparently Belichcik is confident enbough in those skills, but Chung has been a starter now for quite some time. He started all of last yr.

And to be honest, Sanders was a solid safety too, but he was not a 'starter' as you say.

Both Sanders and Meriweather had good qualities about them, but Sergio Brown looked good last yr for a rookie, and Barrett played very well in the preseason, and Belichick seems to certainly think highly enough of him.

Yes, there's always the possibility of bringing in a vet, only time will tell.

Oh now I see, all the Jets signings of older players were smart signings who still have a lot left to offer while the Patriots were simply signing players of the retirement scrap heap. Thanks for setting the record straight on that.

Signing off, too tired for this nonsense.

When did I say all the Pats signings were not smart signings, or bad signings?

We were talking about the depth of the team, and/or the youth of the team?

The Pats are probably being smart by signing players like Waters and Ellis, it's because the youth and depth of the team, and some of the draft picks they've used on players to address the positions they play have not worked out?

When did I say all the Pats signings were not smart signings, or bad signings?

We were talking about the depth of the team, and/or the youth of the team?

The Pats are probably being smart by signing players like Waters and Ellis, it's because the youth and depth of the team, and some of the draft picks they've used on players to address the positions they play have not worked out?

I still don't get it. The Pats have made 40 draft picks in the last 4 years. Obviously not every player is going to still be on this team. Trading for a guy like Haynesworth, a low risk move that could pay off huge if he pans out, isn't a shot at our depth. Are you suggesting it was a bad move because we had to cut a 2nd year 7th round pick?

I still don't get your argument that us signing veterans is a sign we don't have the depth we suggest. Were the Eagles weak at CB when they signed Asomugha?

Again, I simply don't understand what you expect. You suggested yourself you have youth at RB and WR along with your older veterans. Why is it we have none because of our older veterans?

Leonard Cohen, DT: Claimed by and awarded to the Seahawks.

Don't know whether to laugh or weep.

Well, we didn't really have much use on the football field for a singer-songwriter-poet who's approaching 77. I'd laugh if I were you.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back