The Case Against:
  • Proven, rock-solid vet
  • If cut, they lose a little grit and toughness
  • Not THAT expensive
  • Still can get to the passer
  • Still can stop the run
  • Might hurt morale
  • Hes hurt but should recover just fine
  • With Long, Mingo, Flowers, Shea, Grissom, Rufus, etc too many questions. Not enough of a track record for success in this D

Last edited:
The Case For:
  • 32 years old
  • $4,75m vs cap
  • Team saves $2m off the cap if they cut him
  • Slowing down
  • Tons of youth at OLB/DE. They need to play to develop
  • Team philosophy, "rather get rid of them a year early than a year too late"
  • Hes hurt right now. Will be be 100%

He is a veteran presence on a mostly young defense (he was a captain last year, along with McCourty on defense). $4.75M is not a significant expense for a quality starter. I note that, per Miquel's cap page, he is not even in the top 10 cap hits for our team. $2M in savings is not significant in view of what we'd lose by cutting him. We also traded Jones this offseason, so we'd be relying on inexperienced players to fill in at a key position (with the exception of Sheard, who is also hurt). He did not slow down last year. Cutting him is a lot different than getting value for him (a la Seymour, Jones, Moss, etc.).

I can't see any way they are even contemplating cutting him.

The Case For:

Cover-mouth-George-Costanza-Oh-my-OMG-Surprised-GIF.gif

;)

Agree with all the posters so far, just too valuable and still productive. I wouldn't think about cutting him this year.

The argument against cutting him:

• He's our best DE
  • His cap hit is only $4.75M cap hit and we only save $2M by cutting him (OP made these figures part of the argument for cutting him, but I think it's the opposite). $4.75 is super cheap for a starter-caliber DE, and we'd have to spend more than $2M to get even 50% of his production.
  • He should be healthy in a month or so

The argument for cutting him:
  • If he's too injured to contribute this year anyway, then you might be able to save some cap space by cutting him with an injury settlement?

Last edited:
The Case For:
  • 32 years old
  • $4,75m vs cap
  • Team saves $2m off the cap if they cut him
  • Slowing down
  • Tons of youth at OLB/DE. They need to play to develop
  • Team philosophy, "rather get rid of them a year early than a year too late"
  • Hes hurt right now. Will be be 100%
The Case Against:
  • Proven, rock-solid vet
  • If cut, they lose a little grit and toughness
  • Not THAT expensive
  • Still can get to the passer
  • Still can stop the run
  • Might hurt morale
  • Hes hurt but should recover just fine
  • With Long, Mingo, Flowers, Shea, Grissom, etc too many questions. Not enough of a track record for success in this D

Dang, after you posted about whether Nink could be cut in another thread I was just writing something somewhat similar (although not nearly as good) as this post, and you beat me to it! ;)

He is probably my favorite player not named Tom Brady because, despite average natural athletic abilities, he has because a vital cog through a combination of smarts, professionalism, toughness, and determination.

However, to add a little detail to your first bullet, he is the oldest player on the team who is not a QB or K, and BB always has a succession plan for every player.

Kirby Jackson said:
FWIW, I have mentioned it before but I work with a former Patriots player. He is still really close with Rob Ninkovich (they got there at the same time). He said that he talked to him last week and he said that IF he is able to play this year it will be it for him. He has torn triceps and I guess that it isn't too good. This isn't shocking but he is only 32.

Pure Genius: Patriots Acquire Mingo from Cleveland - Page 4 - The Stadium Wall

He is a veteran presence on a mostly young defense (he was a captain last year, along with McCourty on defense). $4.75M is not a significant expense for a quality starter. I note that, per Miquel's cap page, he is not even in the top 10 cap hits for our team. $2M in savings is not significant in view of what we'd lose by cutting him. We also traded Jones this offseason, so we'd be relying on inexperienced players to fill in at a key position (with the exception of Sheard, who is also hurt). He did not slow down last year. Cutting him is a lot different than getting value for him (a la Seymour, Jones, Moss, etc.).

I can't see any way they are even contemplating cutting him.
You basically said my case against. :p

you left out the "case against" article "after cutting him he signs with the bills, sacks brady like a super saiyan vengeful monster and ends bradys season.

Dang, after you posted about whether Nink could be cut in another thread I was just writing something somewhat similar (although not nearly as good) as this post, and you beat me to it! ;)

He is probably my favorite player not named Tom Brady because, despite average natural athletic abilities, he has because a vital cog through a combination of smarts, professionalism, toughness, and determination.

However, to add a little detail to your first bullet, he is the oldest player on the team who is not a QB or K, and BB always has a succession plan for every player.

The Pats definitely have a post-Ninkovich-and-Jones succession plan that is currently in the middle of being executed. Flowers and Grissom were forward-looking picks, I think with the expectation that at least one of Ninkovich/Jones would be gone by 2017, and likely both.

It's clear that Belichick practices "better a year too early than a year too late", but I think there's an implicit corollary there that 2-3 years too early is just as bad or worse. As long as he's still producing and we have him for cheap, there's no reason to move on from him just for the sake of it.

I don't want Nink going anywhere but a case can be made.....

I think he needs to stay another year and we need to see how the kids pan out.

But it's Friday and I thought this topic would foster some decent debate and discussion. :)

Totally against it this year but definitely in consideration next year.
Hes a FA after 2016 so you have your wish.

His production has been incredible. Talk about pulling a guy off the scrap heap.

It truly has. Has to be the most un-heralded player in the NFL. Question to those who know more about this sort of thing. Is he a lock for the Patriots hall of fame?

It truly has. Has to be the most un-heralded player in the NFL. Question to those who know more about this sort of thing. Is he a lock for the Patriots hall of fame?

I don't quite think he is Pats HoF material. If you look at the last few inductions they are all players who have operated at a notch above ole Nink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back