Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Antoine Walker analogy

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wolfpack, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I read an interesting article this weekend and it struck me how much Antoine Walker is like the U.S. government. For those of you in this forum who don't follow sports, Antoine Walker is an ex-NBA player who took home about $60 million in salary but today finds himself flat broke and about $5 million in debt because of his gambling problems.

A liberal would look at that situation and say "the problem is Antoine Walker didn't make enough money during his career. He didn't generate enough revenue. If only we could magically go back in time and give him a 10% salary raise then not only would he be out of debt, he would have a $1 million surplus."

A conservative looks at the same situation and says "his problem isn't his revenues, it is his reckless and out of control spending. If we magically raised his salary 10%, he would have blown through it all and would still be in the exact same situation today: flat broke and deep in debt."
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +193 / 2 / -2

Clearly the real problem was neither -- it was the shimmy.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

Always thought he was a "ball hog"..
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Liberals don't support wage increases for the very wealthy. That's more a conservative position. If we were more liberal, he would have blown through less salary because he would have paid higher taxes. Conservative taxation policies helped enable him.

So is your point that liberals try to come up with solution and conservatives, rather than come up with solutions, simply complain about the liberal ones? I think there's some truth to that.
  5. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No, Wolfpack indicates that if Walker had stopped the bleeding with his out of control spending, eliminating the gambling expenses, he would be running a huge surplus. This is the conservative view with the government budget. The conservative sees trillions of dollars in revenue getting spent like Walker spent his...without regard or hesitation. This spending of taxpayer money outrages the conservative.
  6. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Its funny how conservatives didn't see anything when GWB doubled down on finding WMDs in Iraq.
  7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

But, it's not accurate, shirtsleeve. Liberals are for spending, true, but we are also for paying our bills. We want to raise taxes to support the spending. Conservatives are also for spending (the reality is that both Bush II and Reagan were 2-term presidents who created records debts for their time), but they don't want to be responsible about it and pay for things, even the the things they voted for (such as wars and the first round of bailouts).
  8. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +193 / 2 / -2

I think it depends on which "conservatives" you're referring to.

If it's the libertarian conservatives, like shirtsleeve, I think shirtsleeve's take is apt.

If it's the Republican conservatives, I think Walker wouldn't have been able to spend as much -- because he would have been arrested early on for gambling, because gambling obviously is immoral, and those conservatives would have a Christian sharia in place if they had their way. Plus, Antoine is black, so his criminal penalty would have been as harsh as possible in their world. Sure, he would have had to speand some $ for goods and protection in prison, but it would have been nothing in comparison to his real world spending.
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +379 / 4 / -2

Now even you're playing the race card? :rolleyes:
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +490 / 2 / -9

Liberalism IS Racism.

:bricks:
    "i'll be with you in apple blossom time"
  11. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +193 / 2 / -2

Only for certain folks, RW. Not you, not shirtsleeve. Not others. Just the racists.

(But that post was somewhat tongue in cheek, which I thought would come across)
  12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +776 / 5 / -15

#87 Jersey

Antoine Walker for an analogy .............. :confused: .... :bricks:
  13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +379 / 4 / -2

That's playing the race card. Who's "just the racists"?
  14. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +193 / 2 / -2

It's only "playing the race card" if you want to pretend racism doesn't exist. Suit yourself, either way.

As for the "who," depends on if you're referring to this forum or the country. In either case, I mostly can't name names. there are lots of racists in the country. There are a few in this forum, but if I named them that would be a personal attack.
  15. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Very good analogy, during the 1980's revenues more than doubled during the Reagan administration congress spent it all and ran deficits. Giving congress $$$ is like keys to a Porsche and a bottle of Jack Daniels to a teenager.
  16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Obviously the analogy went flying 10 feet over your head (even though I explained it as simplistically as I could when I said "Antoine Walker is like the U.S. government.")

No, liberals don't support wage increases for the very wealthy. But they do support raising taxes. So thank you for admitting you just have no clue how to solve these problems.
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Todd Marinovich might be a better analogy.

HUGE UPSIDE, but was lured to failure by drugs.
  18. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why isolate it to the 80's? Over the last 50 years I have yet to see a Congress who doesn't treat my money and yours like a drunken sailor on leave in an Asian port. Seems the difference has been the "what", not the "if".

Time to start considering the "if" they should even spend any of it in the first place. Time to start asking "if" its even within their given power to spend any of it in the first place, too.
  19. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -1

#11 Jersey

That is a terrible analogy. Terrible.
  20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

Or Ryan Leaf.. anyways cannot compare raisins to grapefruit, lousy analogy from the desperate right who cannot begin to fathom the beliefs of liberals.