Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Answers

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by PatsFanInVa, Sep 7, 2006.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +460 / 6 / -9

I've created this thread for those such as CP, who wish to answer my own posts, without the unfortunate concommitant effect of bumping my thread up to the top. :trolls:

Of course, if any would like to answer other posters here without promoting their initial posts, this space would be the perfect place to do it.

I do not understand the vagaries of the "okay" and "not okay" uses of this board, but if this does not break any rules, I think it serves an important function, addressing an unintentional aspect of these bulletin boards which creates "perverse incentives."

So, if you have something to say to a poster, but prefer not to bump the thread, thereby letting it die a natural death (or upping the chances thereof,) fire away!

PFnV
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  2. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +807 / 4 / -5

#75 Jersey

Naaaaah. If I want to write something that will be viewed by everyone on the board I'll just PM 3tobe4.
  3. Nikki

Nikki Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Wow, I just double posted. How strange..............

I am taking that as a sign from God that it is OK to talk about strippers!
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  4. Nikki

Nikki Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

hahahahahahahaha :rofl:
  5. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +460 / 6 / -9

To update an old joke... 3 forms of mass communication: telephone, telegraph, tell 3tob...
  6. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +460 / 6 / -9

I don't see any reason not to, personally. Seems to me we all get naked for free, and some people have bodies that make it worth money to see 'em naked.

PFnV
  7. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -1

Amen to that, Brother!

(...and by people I assume you meant women and not, well, er, men, not that there's anything wrong with that 'cause women like to be entertained too, it's just that, well, I didn't want to a, you know, make it seem like, a, you know, I liked to see men, you know, uh, strip. (sheepish Peter Griffin look on my face.))
  8. CPF

CPF Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You mean you didn't want you're "Parental Warning" bumped to the top for all to see? I assumed that was why you posted it in the first place.

Hey did you call me a troll again? Come now PFV, I'm many things but a troll? I would be more than happy to slug it out with anyone here, on any topic, for as long as it takes to come to a conclusion. I've been involved in discussions that have taken upwards of a year to run their course, so please.....direct the cute little troll guy elswhere. Take care, CPF
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  9. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +460 / 6 / -9

Uh, CPF, you have to exercise interpretation to see the :trolls: sign as referring to you in the main post here. It was directly following my references to my own posts.

However, everybody will obviously look at the point of view of the "other" as the trollish one. I choose not to publicize the patently offensive proselytizing thread any further, by responding to it there. If I make commentary, I'll do it here, and any who wish to can connect the dots.

It's easy to rile people, that's a given. When the riled respond, the post floats up of its own accord -- in the electronic world, that's a given. The proselytizing posts, to me, seem a deleterious thing in and of themselves, but my own actions in responding to them would just publicize them more. So, as I say, I may respond in this space, where appropriate, and I invite others to do likewise.

Thanks, and come on back with any more questions.

PFnV
  10. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +460 / 6 / -9

This is in response to both 3toB, and to CPF, who explains 3toB's behavior with quite abstract logic, somehow springing from (if I have this right,) the book of Romans.

CPF: Does it say in Romans that in pursuit of the goals 3toB is chasing, that he should bear false witness against his neighbor? Or is that commandment stilll considered "part of" the so-called "Old Testament" in your and 3toB's world?

Since bearing false witness seems to be a staple of 3toB's approach (see his last reply to my "warning" post, and my correction thereof,) and since he is so happy with his brand of Christianity that he seeks to foist it on all and sundry, I can only conclude that:

A) 3toB's brand of Christianity forgives bearing false witness, if it is undertaken for the larger purpose of proselytizing, or

B) 3toB just tends to commit this sin when he becomes excited about proselytizing, and that his brand of Christianity is powerless to correct this behavior. It is also possible that,

C) He regards his own behavior as a moot point, and that all that concerns him about scripture is using it to "sell" allegiance to his brand of Christianity.

I have noticed the behavior in question in his posts as regard me, and there seems to be an unlikely "explanation" to his recent "PM adventure," that he was being harassed by the surviving loved one of a murder victim (for example.) Given his character as regards me, I lean towards believing this "effect" has some bearing on his other relationships hereabouts.

So: Are the Ten Commandments now null and void for you and 3's brand of Christian, or is all scripture equally inapplicable to your own daily lives? Are your quotes from Romans only applicable for others' consideration, for example? And what kinds of fools would we be, to take 3toB seriously, given that his behavior gainsays his preaching?

Why so much disrespect for the scriptures as they apply to you, 3?

PFnV
  11. Clonamery

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -1

Ah, Agent 99, its the old do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do trick!
  12. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +460 / 6 / -9

The point...?

"Missed it by that much!"
  13. CPF

CPF Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That is between you and 3toB PFIV, I'm sure he wouldn't want me having his argument with you by proxy. I was simply pointing out a few things to Nikki that I thought might spark some interest as I was a Catholic for quite a while and can relate. I can call the Old Testament whatever you like; what do you prefer? The Hebrew Scriptures, The Bible, Word of God? It doesn't matter to me, the name is not what is important, it is the content that counts. Yes the ten commandments are still applicable, but we are all still human. The whole point of the Law is to magnify our sin and show us that we can in no way be righteous before a Holy God in and of ourselves. Is that the way you see it?Take care, CPF
  14. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Unfortunately, for some people, the whole point of the law is to magnify whats wrong with 3 to be 4, instead of dealing with the divinity of Jesus Christ. Its as if the arguement is that Christ cant be who He said He was because 3 to be 4 is a jerk.

Its a very sad distraction. The problem with Righteousness based on adherance to the Law is that it is not possible. As CPF so correctly pointed out, we can not overcome our sin by ourselves. We cannot justify ourselves before God by our good works, it will never be enough. We are only justified
    by our Faith in His Son, Jesus Christ.
  15. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +460 / 6 / -9

Can't win, better not try. Got it.

Seems likely to produce absolutely no adherence to any law, since there is no real difference between the casual slanderer, like 3toB4; the monster, like Hitler; the tax chiseler; or someone who has sex because it feels good. "We're all sinners but thinking the right thing about a dead guy fixes it all." Well, I can go with the "we're all sinners" part. The rest seems likely to produce this sort of recidivist sinning.

In my religion, you're responsible for your own sin and your own atonement. That's one thing I like about it. It creates space for personal responsibility, without someone else taking care of things, theologically speaking.

I, too, have sinned a good deal, and no, I am not perfect either. But in my religion, Judaism, before you ask forgiveness from God, if your sin was against another human being, you ask forgiveness from that person first, and then from God.

Thanks for the reminder of why, for me, Judaism feels like a good choice.

PFnV
  16. shmessy

Ratings:
    +807 / 4 / -5

#75 Jersey

Amen, PFnV.

You hit the nail on the head as to what was missing for me in 3tobe4's theology. The aspect of personal responsibilty and direction.

Too much of what 3tobe4 is saying describes giving up and submitting yourself to another power (so that others, perhaps, can control you). I believe that God created us, not for us to abdicate our own responibility and control, but for us to take responsibility for our own actions and vie to be just.

So much of 3tobe4's theology is based on telling people to give up and submit. It works wonders for preachers on TV when they are raising big bucks with the phone number at the bottom of the screen, and it worked well for the Branch Davidians, Jim Jones, etc.
  17. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

talk about LYING. Where, in the NEW Testament, are Christians told its "ok to sin"? I NEVER said that, and if im to be called a "slanderer" and a "bearer of false witness" by you, than im calling you on your hatred.

yes, you technically didnt call me Hitler, but look how you played with the words to present this case that Christians believe its ok to sin because we have forgiveness. You know very well that is not the case and that is not what I said. You sir, are a sick individual.

For anyone who is not clear on this. We all have sin. Through Christ we are forgiven. Then, because we have salvation, our hearts will change from the work that is done in our hearts and we do good, not because we of fear of the Law, but because we know right from wrong in the first place. Because we are human and can never be the people that always adhere to every one of these things, we slip up, like children. But our loving Father forgives us if we come to Him in sincere repentance.

In other words, we are free from sin, but we are still expected not to sin.
    And we are forgiven. Where before we are judged by the Law, after accepting Christ we disciplined by a loving Father.

Others can probably explain it better. But lets try not to CONTINUE the "monster" talk? It reveals the immaturity of the accuser.
  18. shmessy

Ratings:
    +807 / 4 / -5

#75 Jersey

Obviously, you did not understand (or did not really read) a word of what PFiV wrote in his post.

Read your response again. It's replete with the passive tense regarding our own actions, and when you use the active tense the term you use isn't "we sin" or "we transgress", it's "we slip up".

PFiV knows we have responsibility on our own to seek forgiveness FIRST from those we hurt - - not from God or Jesus or our own hearts.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you - - remember the "others" part of that.
  19. Clonamery

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -1

I'm not sure it's part of the equation.
  20. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

yeah, according to you guys, God or Jesus dont really matter much. Since you are so obsessed me, you are never really going to see the point anyway.

Are you ever going to answer the First Commandment question? No.

Are you ever going to stop focusing on me instead of responding to anything said about the Lord? No.

its your loss in the long run. Jesus still loves you.

Have a blessed weekend everyone.