The annual PatsFans draft contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the old favorite PatsFans draft contest, the simplest way to make draft predictions. Forget worrying whether that OG is "realistic" in the 6th round, or whether the Texans need help at strong safety. Just follow these rules:

The Patriots have 8 picks.
Name 8 players.

The round and order doesn't matter. You can mock out 7 rounds if you like, or just name your 8 favorite cornerbacks. But no matter how you choose, you're likely to find that it's not nearly as easy as it sounds. Any score above 1 is worth bragging about.

Post your entries here!

Ok ill take a shot at it.

Antoin Cason
Chevis Jackson
Cliff Avril
Chris Long
Vernon Gholston
Derrick Harvey
Quentin Groves
Curtis Lofton

Last edited:
Vernon Gholston
Leodis McKelvin
Charles Godfrey
Cliff Avril
Tracy Porter
Antoine Cason
Drago!
Mike Klinkenborg

Brandon Albert
Cliff Avril
Duane Brown
Antoine Cason
Chevis Jackson
Brian Johnston
Brian Kehl
Eddie Royal

I'm down to 28!

I'm down to 28!

Avril seems to be a popular pick. I'll continue that trend....

Cliff Avril
Antoine Cason
Tashard Choice
Quentin Groves
Jeremy Leman
Eddie Royal
Jack Williams
Eric Young

Vernon Gholston
Quentin Groves
Cliff Avril
Jonathan Goff
Chevis Jackson
Antwaun Molden
Owen Schmitt
Trae Williams

I'm taking the "**** on the wall approach."

Branden Albert
Quentin Groves
Jonathan Goff
Beau Bell
Jeremy Leman
Terrell Thomas
Chevis Jackson
Jack Williams

It looks like between Mayo, Groves, and Avril; Avril is the most likely to fall to our late 2nd rounder so I went with him.

CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
DE Cliff Avril
TE Martellus Bennett
LB Jonathan Goff
S Tom Zbikowski <- Obligatory ND pick
RB Jalen Parmele
C Eric Scott
DE Rob Jackson

UDFA (just for fun)
P Waylon Prather
TE Adam Bishop

Hey Patchick,

Since it's akin to hitting the lottery (1 of 32, dynamically opposed against 10s or 100s of options) multiple times...

To get more than one is, and evidently has been, an exercise in futility. Perhaps a change in the format, to post at top 15/20, would be more productive and give a greater range of results, beyond 0/1/1.5?

Hey Patchick,

Since it's akin to hitting the lottery (1 of 32, dynamically opposed against 10s or 100s of options) multiple times...

To get more than one is, and evidently has been, an exercise in futility. Perhaps a change in the format, to post at top 15/20, would be more productive and give a greater range of results, beyond 0/1/1.5?

Hey, if the odds of hitting the lottery were 8/250, I'd be spending all my savings on Megabucks tickets! :)

But the point of this contest is that our picks are supposed to be far from random. We're "experts," right? We're avid Pats fans, deep into pre-draft reading and analysis. We know what positions the team needs to upgrade, what style of players they prefer, and how they've approached past drafts. We can also look at where players are predicted to go, and try to game the game -- and there are dozens of us entering with every clever strategy we can come up with.

So we can't blame chance, we've got to blame ourselves! We don't know jack. :eat1:

Keith Rivers
Vernon Gholston
McKelvin
Godfrey
Pig Brown
Jacob Hester
Harvey
Joe Jon Finley

So we can't blame chance, we've got to blame ourselves! We don't know jack. :eat1:

Well, THAT goes without saying. ;)

It's your game, and your rules, but I'm just saying. To pick one-for-one is a bit of a lottery, where as if we picked, say 2X(Pats picks) [i.e.: Pats have 8 picks, we select 16 "targets"], it provides a bit of lee-way similar to the actual draft.

Essentially, what I'm saying is: I wanted to list about 14 guys and can't decide the top 8...

ILB Jerod Mayo
CB Patrick Lee
OLB Jeremy Thompson
CB Orlando Scanbrick
TE Brad Cottam
DT Nick Hayden
QB Kevin O'Connell
C Eric Scott

Last edited:
I'm trying a different approach this time. I'm picking guys that don't seem to appear on other people's lists.

CB Justin Tryon
CB Jonathan Zenon
CB Dwight Lowery
CB Terrence Wheatley
LB Curtis Gatewood
LB Mike Humpal
LB Spencer Larsen
TE Fred Davis

LB Vernon Gholston
LB Quentin Groves
LB Keith Rivers
CB Antoine Cason
CB Brandon Flowers
CB Trae Williams
OL Ryan Clady
OL Jeremy Zuttah
TE Martellus Bennet
TE Fred Davis

Well, THAT goes without saying. ;)

It's your game, and your rules, but I'm just saying. To pick one-for-one is a bit of a lottery, where as if we picked, say 2X(Pats picks) [i.e.: Pats have 8 picks, we select 16 "targets"], it provides a bit of lee-way similar to the actual draft.

Essentially, what I'm saying is: I wanted to list about 14 guys and can't decide the top 8...

It's really not much of a 1:1 lottery, unless you try to predict which 8 players they will draft. Usual strategy is to throw out 8 names that they could pick in the first three rounds. Therefore, you have a 2:1 ratio, like you're requesting.

Changing Two choices

OL Branden Albert
OL Kerry Brown
CB Antoine Cason
CB Brandon Flowers
CB Jack Williams
NT Trevor Laws
LB Cliff Avril
TE Brad Cottam

Last edited by a moderator:
OG Branden Albert
ILB Keith Rivers