PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

the AFC IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warhorse said:
So you have the Colts as a pretender even though we only have one hole to fill in at running back that we have shown that we can throw a rookie into the fray for that spot. We have every other spot wrapped up and the draft will give up depth at any necessary spots. And we have been to the playoffs six out of seven years.

The Patriots have a broken running back, a plethira of mediocre WRs, starters missing from the offensive line, holes in the secondary that has been injury prone the past 2 years and no kicker. And they are a contender. At least give the post some respect and don't go overboard on the homerism.

If every division gets a team into the playoffs then you should at least name the team that you think is the best in the division as a contender.

Y'all have even less of a Defense today and you had N-O-N-E, yesterday. Y'all fortget that two-three years ago there was a Team that had an overpowering Offense perhaps better than yours in KC. It had no Defense, none, and even though it came off of a 13-3 season, proceeded to go 3-13 as I recall...

That's how close you are to the abyss...

I'd like for you to explain how you see that we have no defense.

#7 in points per game
#4 in turnovers
#5 in sacks
#11 in total defense

A little proof would be a good idea so your post doesn't sound like a homer fan trying to belittle an opposing team.

Warhorse said:
So you have the Colts as a pretender even though we only have one hole to fill in at running back that we have shown that we can throw a rookie into the fray for that spot. We have every other spot wrapped up and the draft will give up depth at any necessary spots. And we have been to the playoffs six out of seven years.

The Patriots have a broken running back, a plethira of mediocre WRs, starters missing from the offensive line, holes in the secondary that has been injury prone the past 2 years and no kicker. And they are a contender. At least give the post some respect and don't go overboard on the homerism.

If every division gets a team into the playoffs then you should at least name the team that you think is the best in the division as a contender.

If you are going to use big words to impress us like "plethira" please spell it correctly. Otherwise people tend to laugh at you (like me foe example).

Don't post about our so called mediocre team until your boy stops choking year, after year, after year.... well you get the picture. With 30% of your cap spent on Wayne, Harrison, Vinatieri, and Manning, I imagine you will be having a few upset players wondering where their cash is.

If you want to point our spelling errors, maybe you should learn to spell the word "for".
(like me foe example).

As for you saying that I called your team mediocre you are dead wrong. I said the WRs at the moment are mediocre. Other than Branch that is. I think it's your QB that makes them look good.

As for the salary ratios of the players, players leave if they think they can get a better deal somewhere else. It's the way of the NFL now and not one player has made a stink about how much money they are getting from the Colts. If you have proof that says otherwise, I would really like to see it.

Warhorse said:
If you want to point our spelling errors, maybe you should learn to spell the word "for".

As for you saying that I called your team mediocre you are dead wrong. I said the WRs at the moment are mediocre. Other than Branch that is. I think it's your QB that makes them look good.

As for the salary ratios of the players, players leave if they think they can get a better deal somewhere else. It's the way of the NFL now and not one player has made a stink about how much money they are getting from the Colts. If you have proof that says otherwise, I would really like to see it.

Well to me spelling words like "for" wrong is just a typo and no big deal. I would never point that out. But when you use uncommon words like plethora to impress people you should probably get it right.

I agree Brady makes some wide receivers look good. But others like Branch and Brown have a tendency to get wide open. Well Brown used to have that tendency. Now he relies on experience as he has lost a step. If the Pats can somehow get Moulds into the fold well I think our chances for a SB run will increase dramatically. As for Dillon, lets just agree to wait until this year to see if he has lost it. If he repeats last years performance then I will agree to what you have said about him.

Do you think 30% of your cap spread among 2 WR's, a QB, and a Kicker is wise? It is a serious question because with a 30% chunk taken out by four players leaves 70% for the other 49 players. Someone is going to have to take a pay cut when Freeney wants to get paid.

Glad to Oblige...

Warhorse said:
I'd like for you to explain how you see that we have no defense.

#7 in points per game
#4 in turnovers
#5 in sacks
#11 in total defense

A little proof would be a good idea so your post doesn't sound like a homer fan trying to belittle an opposing team.

Glad to Oblige.

Your Defense is built on the premise that your overpowering Offense will allow you
a) to construct and
b) to play
only half a Defense. When you go up three scores thanks to the O, you can ignore the run. Not because you can stop it, you can't, and don't even make a pretense of having any players on your Team who could do so; but because the opponents stop trying, in a vain effort to "get back in it" .

Then you can field one dimensional nobodies like woefully undersized Freeney or even super-midget dwarfs like Mathis who can do nothing but pass rush.

It works too, at least against the dreaded and fearsome Arizona Cardinals of the league. But when the playoffs come and you face the League iron, then:
1) They don't let you go up three scores as they have good Defenses;
2) They ram the ball right up your ARSE on the ground.
3) They control the tempo of the game and
4) Force Pay-me-a-ton into mistakes.

Of course, he is prone to do so, since he has no Poise, never did, and never gets any practice in learning how, in the lopdsided 40-20 games, over the Texans and Titans which litter your schedule...

Now are you...

Sorry,You Asked??

It's misspelled the same as mine. I am not a grammar or english teacher so who cares. But people in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks.

30% of our salary cap is fine with me. Our salary cap situation is different than the Patriots. We pay our playmakers and fill in the holes with one or two free agents and the rest rookies that usually sit for a year or two to learn the system. The Patriots use a lot of middle tier free agents at reduced prices to fill in the holes leaving rookies to pretty much sit back and learn for a year or come in for emergencies.

When it's time for Freeney to get paid we will probably lose some of the following: Harper, Doss, Stokley, Mathis and June. Harper's replacement is either Marlin Jackson or Kelvin Hayden. Doss is already being looked at being replaced by Marlin Jackson. Stokley may just be too expensive to keep next year if his production this year isn't where it should be. Mathis will probably hit the market and have some team sign him to too high a contract for us to re-sign. June will garner big attention if he hits the market just like Thornton, Peterson and Washington so we will let him go. But all that means nothing because we either have their replacements already or we will draft them this year. We re-sign our own and then draft the replacements for the one we can't keep.

As to the post about the defense being built around the offensive philosophy of going after teams after they are ahead, sure I'll agree with that, but the defense is the only thing that kept us in those games against the eventual superbowl winners the last three years. The offense sputters against 3-4 defenses. The Patriots, Steelers, Chargers have given them fits for three years now.

And I'd bet you a million that bellichick would love to have
one dimensional nobodies like woefully undersized Freeney or even super-midget dwarfs like Mathis who can do nothing but pass rush.

The Patriots are probably the most balanced built team in the NFL but it is still just one way of many to build a team. I happen to like the way the team is built. It's like anything can happen at anytime in the game that will break it wide open. GMs work with what talent they have and Polian thinks this is the best gameplan for the talent. If not for the "dynasty" of the Patriots and the Steelers we would have contended for a Superbowl title but each year the better team won. We were missing something or the opposing team had something that we didn't have an answer for.

And you talking about the Titans and the Texans is similar to me saying the same thing about the Dolphins under Wannstedt and the Bills under Mularky and the Jets under Herm Edwards.

We won our first 13 games last year including ones against the so called iron of the league (New England & Pittsburgh) so why would we change anything. We got outplayed and outcoached against the Steelers. You know the same team that Bellichick threw the last game so he would get to play the Jags instead of the eventual Champs.

Warhorse said:
We won our first 13 games last year including ones against the so called iron of the league (New England & Pittsburgh) so why would we change anything. We got outplayed and outcoached against the Steelers. You know the same team that Bellichick threw the last game so he would get to play the Jags instead of the eventual Champs.

The Colts played us when we were at 3/4 strength, hardly the iron of the league at that time. Get he facts right, please.

The patriots are built as depth based team. They have proven time and time again that injuries were not that big a deal but if it helps you sleep at night to belittle a team for beating them then that's your deal. It gets real tiresome that the fans can't admit defeat, they can only admit excuses.

Last edited:
Warhorse said:
30% of our salary cap is fine with me. Our salary cap situation is different than the Patriots. We pay our playmakers and fill in the holes with one or two free agents and the rest rookies that usually sit for a year or two to learn the system. The Patriots use a lot of middle tier free agents at reduced prices to fill in the holes leaving rookies to pretty much sit back and learn for a year or come in for emergencies.

I'm glad the Steelers don't follow that philosophy. To pay 3 players that much of your salary cap, IMO, is insane. I saw a statistic somewhere that the Steelers have one of the highest salaries per player of any of the teams in the NFL, as it should be. It's a TEAM sport and all 53 players contribute to victories and there shouldn't be huge disparities between the top 3 and the rest of the team. I'm not saying that all players should be paid equally, but I feel there shouldn't be such a contrast.

Yes, the Colts beat us during the regular season. I could give you reasons why I think that happened, but won't. Just like we beat the Patriots last year during the regular season and then they beat us in the AFCC game. We were outplayed in our own house and it stunk.

I honestly don't see anything changing for the Colts until changes are made. Peyton needs to stop all the audibling at the line. It's obvious he has trouble with the 3-4 defense and just needs to get up to the line, call the play and execute it. They need to stop worrying about having a few high profile playmakers and create a total team.

Warhorse said:
As to the post about the defense being built around the offensive philosophy of going after teams after they are ahead, sure I'll agree with that, but the defense is the only thing that kept us in those games against the eventual superbowl winners the last three years. The offense sputters against 3-4 defenses. The Patriots, Steelers, Chargers have given them fits for three years now.

And I'd bet you a million that bellichick would love to have

The Patriots are probably the most balanced built team in the NFL but it is still just one way of many to build a team. I happen to like the way the team is built. It's like anything can happen at anytime in the game that will break it wide open. GMs work with what talent they have and Polian thinks this is the best gameplan for the talent. If not for the "dynasty" of the Patriots and the Steelers we would have contended for a Superbowl title but each year the better team won. We were missing something or the opposing team had something that we didn't have an answer for.

And you talking about the Titans and the Texans is similar to me saying the same thing about the Dolphins under Wannstedt and the Bills under Mularky and the Jets under Herm Edwards.

To answer your plaintive cry that Bellichick would like to have undersized Freeney or dwarfsih Mathis,the answer is he had the chance. Greg Spires, 6-1 and 265, a starter on the Tampa Bay version of your Defense opposite Simeon Rice, and a guy who recorded more sacks in their Super Bowl year than Rice, was Patriot. He is also about ten pounds heavier and two inches taller than Freeney and 35-40 # heftier than the dwarf.

Belichcik unceremoniously cut him as too small, half way through his first camp as a Pat head Coach and said .."He may be a player that can play for some teams but not here.. We wish him well..." So Bill had a better Freeeney/Mathis and just got rid of him.

I hand it to you, the Colts did beat both Pitt and NE.

Even a blind pig finds an acorn occasionally. You managed to jump out on top of Pitt and played your game. You beat us fair and square but caught us amidst the time we could play but 8 of 22 starters due to injury. Nonetheless you won and thats what counts.

As to what's ususually missing... That's easy. Its spelled d-e-f-e-n-s-e.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back