PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The AFC East: Still ours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I think the AFC East will be a dogfight. It will take us another 3 or 4 games to figure out who we are in 2008. I'd like to see us become more aggressive defensively but we won't do that until Bill has more confidence in the offense. Overall Ilike our chances and expect teh Pats to go 11-5 and win the division by a game over both the Bills and Jets. The NFC West winner will be Arizona at 8-8 after the AFC East is through with them.

Save this post, I posted it at buffalobills.com as well. The Bills will finish the season 6-10.

The dolfins "wildcat" crap will be figured out by next weekend, and if its not, people are just letting them win.

The jets, well they are the jets, they will find a way to lose.

The East is the Pats for the taking. But every game will be a dogfight, which, come playoff time, will make the Pats a better all around team.

At this point, the only thing that I see clearly is the fact that we have a very competitive division. We certainly are not the dominating force that we have been with Brady, but we are pretty good.

I think the Jets have the best QB in the division, which is definitely going to help them down the stretch. However, I dont think they have the talent that we do offensively, so hopefully that will even things out.

I dont think the Bills are as good as their record indicates. They still havent played us or the Jets, and they have traditionally done poorly against us. I can see them winning 9 or 10 games, but I dont think they can reach 11.

The Dolphins are probably still a year or two away. Yes, they beat two of the leagues better two teams over the past couple of weeks, but I think that once teams figure out the Wildcat formation, they will even out. I see them winning 6-8 games.

As for us, we will go as far as Cassel takes us. He needs to improve each week. He was a little better as the game progressed this week, but his pocket presence is definitely a weak point. Hopefully he will get a feel for the pocket as he gains experience.

Well the whole division seems to be in the game as it stands.
Do all the other teams have 2 week trips out West?
I'm not sold on the Dolphins, despite the back to back wins, as I think their success rides on the health of their 2 backs, and RB health isn't much to bank on.

The Bills lost big, but also lost their qb early in the game, and threw up a stinker on the road. The Pats threw up a stinker at home, to a team everyone thought was worse than the Cards.

If the Jets build continuity off Favre's 6 td performance, and he starts to play like he actually wants to be a Jet, then I think they're in good shape to give it a run as well.

The next 2 four game stretches will really clue us in to what kind of team the Pats are this season.
First up, a shot at the Rams sandwiched around the Chargers, Broncos, & Colts. The Chargers are now playing to save their season, as 2-4 is a big hole to try and chase the Broncos from. The Broncos always give the Pats fits, and the Colts will either be finding their rhythm by week 9, or showing the league they are not a good team this year.

After that, it's no rest for the wicked with 3 division games and the Steelers on the tail end. This will be the stretch that determines if the Pats make the playoffs or not. They could go 2-2 or possibly 1-3 in the previous stretch, but if they swept through the next 4 games, the division title would still be within reach most likely.

The next 2 four game stretches will really clue us in to what kind of team the Pats are this season.

SO you're saying eight games could dictate how our season is shaping up? ;)

SO you're saying eight games could dictate how our season is shaping up? ;)

Lol, I know, really going out on a limb there aren't I? :ugh:

I was trying to stay with the theme that teams build in 4 game stretches. After the first 4 games, I still think there's a huge '?' around what kind of team identity we have now.

In looking at the schedule, it seems to neatly fall into 2 big upcoming 4 game units. First, the 3 conference foes, with one hopeful cakewalk, then 3 straight divisional foes followed up by a noted conference rival.

But, yeah, just in case no one else knew, the next 8 games should have a substantial effect on our playoff chances. :gossip: :idea2:

Last edited:
Lol, I know, really going out on a limb there aren't I? :ugh:

That might be the best emoticon ever!

I was just funnin' ya. I got what you were saying.

This season is a blast so far. I'm actually taking special meds to help my fingernails grow faster between Sundays.

Is the AFC East still ours?

For the 2008 season it is still the same now as it was at the end of the first quarter of week one: up for grabs, with the Patriots and Bills having the best chances at winning the division.

As long as our O can score 30+ pts and D can do a decent job, we are still a leader.

Do all the other teams have 2 week trips out West?

No. All AFC East teams play the same AFC and NFC West teams, but obviously not all are away games. Buffalo and Miami are flipped with us, they play SD, Oak, SF, and Sea at home, and visits to KC, Denver, St Louis and Arizona aren't nearly as grueling. The Jets play the same home/away schedule as we do but they didn't ask the league to combine the trips, so they make four separate one-week West Coast trips. The Patriots planned ahead for this... they've known this season's Home/Away matchups for 8 years.

I still think the Pats are the best team in the division. They should win the East, but they are not worlds better like they would be with Brady. So someone could sneak up and steal it. I think the Dolphins are a year away from being a legitimate contender for the East. I ain't sold on Favre and the Jets just because of one game. I still think the Bills pose the greatest threat for the division.

I still think the Bills pose the greatest threat for the division.

their QB was out because of concussion. When we face them twice this year, we will remind them who is the leader.

I think if 10--6 wins the Division, we win it. If it doesn't, we don't. I have no idea how the Bills, Fins and Jests are going to end up, so I don't know.

It stopped being "ours" when the Bills took the division lead two weeks ago.

It's not ours until we are the #1 leader in the division.

If NE beats Buffalo once they have a shot,If they sweep Buffalo the odds go up tremendously,If they lose both games to Buffalo bye bye division and probably the playoffs

10-6 will win the AFC East IMO

It stopped being "ours" when the Bills took the division lead two weeks ago.

It's not ours until we are the #1 leader in the division.

I Disagree, New England is the defending AFC East Division Champions. We retain that title until one of the other 3 teams knocks us off.

To answer the question on AFCE teams traveling to the West Coast: Buffalo just played back to back road games against the Rams (NFCW) and 'Zona (NFCW), which may have been a factor in their loss - though Edwards' concussion was the determinative factor.

Is the AFCE "still ours?" No. It's competitive and the Pats have the tools to compete at a high level. We'll see if they can develop together and stay at the top of the heap. The positive is the progress of Cassel, Mayo, Meriweather, Guyton, Woods, Wheatley, Wilhite...Neal has a chance to come back and improve the interior O-line play. The negative, the other three teams have all gotten better in the offseason and they are playing competitive football. Life's a beach and sometimes you get sand in...the gears.

I think that the Bills are a legit contender and as of week 1 1/2 I've favored them to win the AFCE.
Sadly the FA improved Jets are contenders but their winning depends on both Buffalo AND NE going down the tubes.
Miami is better than I expected but not a contender. NFW.

Our chances depend on (1) Cassel's continued development, (2) whatever is going on with the OL geting fixed and on (3) several of the younger players becoming key contributors late in the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back