PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Active Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I decided to look at the active roster since we sometimes discuss adding a player without noting who will sit in his place. This week it seems that Moore is the odd man out. Clearly, as last week, one of the special teamers could be inactive to make place for a position player, in this case Moore. That would be my hope; 9 players is a bit thin for the defensive front 7).

Now that we've added Blount, it seems likely that we will go with OFF 20, DEF 17, SPEC 3, ST 6. This is what Reiss has. Reiss has been close these past weeks. Sometimes the choices with a category are difficult. Dobson or Tyms? Butler or Dennard? We might activate an extra OL because of injury or the need for an OL to be the blocking TE. We might activate an additional DL.

ACTIVE ROSTER (46)

OFFENSE (20)
QB 2
RB 3
TE 3
WR 4
FB 1
OL 7

DEFENSE (17)
DE 3
DT 3
LB 3
CB 5
S 3 ( I include Harmon; a different safety could be included here instead with Harmon as a STer)

SPEC (3)
K 1
P 1
LS 1

SPECIAL TEAMERS (6)
ST 6 (Slater, Bolden, White, Jones, Ebner, Wilson)

INACTIVE (7)
RB 1 (White)
OL 2 (Devey, Fleming)
WR 1 (Tyms or Dobson)
DE 2 (Jones, Moore)
CB 1 (Butler or Dennard)

I decided to look at the active roster since we sometimes discuss adding a player without noting who will sit in his place. This week it seems that Moore is the odd man out. Clearly, as last week, one of the special teamers could be inactive to make place for a position player, in this case Moore.
Moore was active last week, Fleming was active last week, Jones was inactive last week.

Isn't Fleming ruled out for Sunday's game against Detroit?

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4772720/injury-report-ol-fleming-out-vs-lions

Looking at our roster and what has transpired this season we have a top 3 offense a top 10 defense and top 5 special teams

I decided to look at the active roster since we sometimes discuss adding a player without noting who will sit in his place. This week it seems that Moore is the odd man out. Clearly, as last week, one of the special teamers could be inactive to make place for a position player, in this case Moore. That would be my hope; 9 players is a bit thin for the defensive front 7).

Now that we've added Blount, it seems likely that we will go with OFF 20, DEF 17, SPEC 3, ST 6. This is what Reiss has. Reiss has been close these past weeks. Sometimes the choices with a category are difficult. Dobson or Tyms? Butler or Dennard? We might activate an extra OL because of injury or the need for an OL to be the blocking TE. We might activate an additional DL.

ACTIVE ROSTER (46)

OFFENSE (20)
QB 2
RB 3
TE 3
WR 4
FB 1
OL 7

DEFENSE (17)
DE 3
DT 3
LB 3
CB 5
S 3 ( I include Harmon; a different safety could be included here instead with Harmon as a STer)

SPEC (3)
K 1
P 1
LS 1

SPECIAL TEAMERS (6)

INACTIVE (7)
RB 1 (White)
OL 2 (Devey, Fleming)
WR 1 (Tyms or Dobson)
DE 2 (Jones, Moore)
CB 1 (Butler or Dennard)
Who are you courting as 3 DEs???

They deactivated Jones and Butler put us in bad field position on punt coverage. I won't be surprised to see Jones dress tomorrow as he has been solid in coverage. Easley is questionable after not practicing once after the walk through. With a fair amount of uncertainty about Easley, I expect Moore and Jones both to dress.

Last edited:
Who are you courting as 3 DEs???
Ninkovich, Ayers and Easly, with Collins, Hightower and Casillas as the linebackers. The DT's are the obvious Wilfork, Jones and Branch. The labels can be changed but the total is 9 front seven defensive players, unless Moore is active instead of one of the special teamers.

They deactivated Jones and Butler put us in bad field position on punt coverage. I won't be surprised to see Jones dress tomorrow as he has been solid in coverage. Easley is questionable after not practicing once after the walk through. With a fair amount of uncertainty about Easley, I expect Moore and Jones both to dress.
Yes, I certainly could see Moore instead of Easley.

I'd prefer to see Dobson over Tyms, just to change it up.

Against a team like Detroit, where they're probably not going to run the ball 30 times, why activate Gray & Blount?

Already out
1) Jones
2) Fleming

Likely
3) White
4) Devey

The rest
5) Tyms or Dobson
6) Butler or Dennard
7) Easley, Moore, Blount or Gray with the unknown being Easley's health. I think they activate Moore anyway because of this. I suppose they could also deactivate Don Jones as well.

Yes, I certainly could see Moore instead of Easley.
I gotta think that the have Easley on some kind of a pitch count/maintenance program as opposed to being injured (maybe he is?). Hes was "limited" on the injury report prior to the Indy game and played well. Being a DE/DT hes got a lot of pushing and twisting going on with two surgically repaired knees every Sunday.

I hope hes healthy and can play this Sunday but I'd rather see him feeling good can causing damage in January & February.

Agree. Why activate BOTH Gray & Blount when it appears that the ground game will be limited? Use Gray with Vereen for change of pace & 3rd down.

Now, how to use the Blount slot? STs? Extra DB (Dennard?) or DE/DL insurance with Easley possibly limited?

Agree. Why activate BOTH Gray & Blount when it appears that the ground game will be limited? Use Gray with Vereen for change of pace & 3rd down.

Tough call. Do you get Blount re-acquainted w/ the offense now or next week? Do you de-activate Bolden when he's been active every game so far? Assuming that they have Gray, Vereen, Blount and Develin who do they activate for ST that also has positional flexibility?

Now, how to use the Blount slot? STs? Extra DB (Dennard?) or DE/DL insurance with Easley possibly limited?

No sold on deactivating Blount but seeing that DET throws the ball 37 times a game it might make sense to have an extra DB or pass rusher. With Bell capable of running the ball between the tackles, I don't see them going light on DT either.

I can hear BB now after deactivating Gray when asked if he has a double standard with Revis.

"The player's deactivation had nothing to do with discipline. He just wasn't in our game plan."

The status quo is listed below. I revised a post from a couple of days ago. Obviously, there are game situations that affect the last active spot. Also injury situations are critical. We will see how the addition of Siliga affects the active roster (and the 53). My guess is that we will cut a special teamer.

==================================================

I decided to look at the active roster since we sometimes discuss adding a player without noting who will sit in his place.

Now that we've added Blount, it seems likely that we will go with OFF 20, DEF 17, SPEC 3, ST 6. This is what Reiss has had . Reiss has been close these past weeks. Sometimes the choices with a category are difficult. Dobson or Tyms? Butler or Dennard? We might activate an extra OL because of injury or the need for an OL to be the blocking TE. We might activate an additional DL.

Often injuries decide one of the inactives. This week, Easley was injured and inactive. Obviously, Chandler Jones was also.

ACTIVE ROSTER (46)

OFFENSE (20)
QB 2 (Brady, Garappolo)
RB 3 (Vereen, Blount, Gray)
TE 3 (Gronkowksi, Wright, Hooman)
WR 4 (Edelman, LaFell, Amendola, Tyms/Dobson)
FB 1 (Develin)
OL 7 (Solder, Connolly, Stork, Wendell, Vollmer)

DEFENSE (17)
DE 3 (Ninkovich, Ayers, Easley)
DT 3 (Wilfork, Branch, Jones)
LB 3 (Collins, Hightower, Casillas)
CB 5 (Revis, Browner, Arrington, Ryan, Dennard/Butler
S 3 (McCourty, Chung, Harmon)

SPEC (3)
K 1 (Gostkowski)
P 1 (Allen)
LS 1 (Aiken)

SPECIAL TEAMERS (6)

================================

INACTIVE (7)
RB 1 (White)
OL 2 (Devey, Fleming)
WR 1 (Tyms or Dobson)
DE 2 (Chandler Jones, Moore)
CB 1 (Butler or Dennard)

The status quo is listed below. I revised a post from a couple of days ago. Obviously, there are game situations that affect the last active spot. Also injury situations are critical. We will see how the addition of Siliga affects the active roster (and the 53). My guess is that we will cut a special teamer.

==================================================

I decided to look at the active roster since we sometimes discuss adding a player without noting who will sit in his place.

Now that we've added Blount, it seems likely that we will go with OFF 20, DEF 17, SPEC 3, ST 6. This is what Reiss has had . Reiss has been close these past weeks. Sometimes the choices with a category are difficult. Dobson or Tyms? Butler or Dennard? We might activate an extra OL because of injury or the need for an OL to be the blocking TE. We might activate an additional DL.

Often injuries decide one of the inactives. This week, Easley was injured and inactive. Obviously, Chandler Jones was also.

ACTIVE ROSTER (46)

OFFENSE (20)
QB 2 (Brady, Garappolo)
RB 3 (Vereen, Blount, Gray)
TE 3 (Gronkowksi, Wright, Hooman)
WR 4 (Edelman, LaFell, Amendola, Tyms/Dobson)
FB 1 (Develin)
OL 7 (Solder, Connolly, Stork, Wendell, Vollmer)

DEFENSE (17)
DE 3 (Ninkovich, Ayers, Easley)
DT 3 (Wilfork, Branch, Jones)
LB 3 (Collins, Hightower, Casillas)
CB 5 (Revis, Browner, Arrington, Ryan, Dennard/Butler
S 3 (McCourty, Chung, Harmon)

SPEC (3)
K 1 (Gostkowski)
P 1 (Allen)
LS 1 (Aiken)

SPECIAL TEAMERS (6)

================================

INACTIVE (7)
RB 1 (White)
OL 2 (Devey, Fleming)
WR 1 (Tyms or Dobson)
DE 2 (Chandler Jones, Moore)
CB 1 (Butler or Dennard)

Since week 6, which illustrates the roster based upon current injury statuses, Moore has only been inactive one game.
Easley is a DT, not a DE (even if he sometimes plays 34 DE because we shift the DT out) so your 3 DEs should include Moore, and it really should be 4 DTs, unless there is an injury.

Can't imagine anyone would pick Devey up if we release him when Silega is ready. Slide him on to the practice squad like we did with Walker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back