Welcome to PatsFans.com

The 500lb gorilla in the Murdoch Hacking scandal

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

With the current phone hacking scandal in the UK causing the closure of Murdoch's "News of the World", Murdoch to close News of the World over phone hacking scandal | The Raw Story it gets the mind rolling as to how far the phone hacking went? Were any of these tactics used by Murdoch's other 'news' outlets? Why would such a disgusting policy, that was obviously a pattern of what they called 'news gathering', be isolated to one paper, and one nation?

Current hack list:

Celebrities
    British Politicians
    Families of terrorist victims
    Dead soldiers
    Missing teens

Current NewsCorp outlets:

List of assets owned by News Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How exactly DOES NewsCorp get their "news", and how far does the hacking go?

2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +766 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Well, considering how so many people have judged (and condemned) Obama by his having lived in the same neighborhood and belonging to the same political party as William Ayers and his having attended a church and been friends with Reverend Wright, I can't help but think those same people will find all of Murdoch's news outlets to be tainted by the scandal surrounding this one.

Can you?

3. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Ha...

This looks to me as if its not an isolated incident, nor a rogue employee. Considering the fact that this happened to multiple victims, in various fields, in all walks of life. To me this is the tip of a very sad, very scary iceberg. If somehow this is a quarantined practice, only involving British people, I'd be shocked.

Dominos, they all fall down.

Update: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/blo...he-world-phone-hacking-live-coverage#block-82

From the guardian....

Met police going through 11,000 pages containing 4,000 names

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,110 / 3 / -10

Jackie Onnasis said "there's them and there's us"

Harry Says "f-ck them"

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +807 / 26 / -33

Would that be the deceased Jackie O... funny how that quote does not come up, except in some hand me down tradition for one feeble mind to another.

Do not forget about the Bush Matriach comments in Houston to the NOLA refugees..

Or maybe Marie Antoinette's

6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +766 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Me, too, considering that Murdoch has brought in former Bush administration Assistant Attorney General Viet Dinh (you remember him, don't ya? He helped write The Patriot Act. He knows all about wire tapping and evesdropping.) as legal counsel to help "clear this all up."

Well, for what it's worth - Les Hinton, the current CEO of The Wall Street Journal played a part in it.

In January 2007, during an earlier blip of the News of the World hacking scandal, Hinton, then executive chairman of Murdoch's News International operation, assured British lawmakers that he had conducted a thorough investigation of the scandal and determined that only Clive Goodman, the News of the World reporter assigned to cover the royal family, was involved. The newspaper's editor, Andy Coulson, had no knowledge of the systematic hacking of royal voice-mail accounts, Hinton said in testimony before the House of Commons culture committee

Murdoch Named PATRIOT Act Architect to Mop Up Paper's Eavesdropping Scandal; 'News of the World' to Close | News & Politics | AlterNet

7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +766 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

While we're at it....let's not forget what a few isolated and individual incidents did to the reputation of that entire little group called ACORN.

Or how all of Planned Parenthood is under fire because of one service provided.

What with the current tendency to throw out the baby with the bathwater, I don't see how the right can possibly let any of Murdoch's dynasty remain standing.

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +807 / 26 / -33

Those standards do not apply to the right..

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +892 / 7 / -3

I think it's absolutely valid to question whether or not the entire umbrela of the parent company used these same "tactics". I don't think it in any way means they did, as I'd assume that different companies operate with a level of autonomy from one another. I don't think Comcast tells MSNBC what to do on a day to day basis persay, or that GE tells NBC what it should put in the news each night. Still, it's an absolutely valid thing to question. I'm curious myself. I had no idea it was so easy for people to hack into your phone messages. Just imagine what's being done that we don't know about.

Wow, really? Bill Ayers and Reverend Wright?!? Planned Parenthood?!? :bricks:

10. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

UPDATE: Former NOTW Editor Andy Coulson 'To Be Arrested', Guardian Reports

Former-News of the World Editor Andy Coulson is to be arrested on Friday morning, reported The Guardian, over suspicions that he played a direct role in the phone hacking scandal that has brought down the paper.

The Guardian has also said that a second arrest will be made in the next few days, but would not reveal the name for fear of compromising an ongoing police investigation.

Former NOTW Editor Andy Coulson 'To Be Arrested', Guardian Reports

11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +766 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Coulson is exactly the guy that Hinson (CEO of WSJ) testified knew nothing about any hackings before The House of Commons.

Oopsie. My bad.

12. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

These guys will sing so loudly. Not like we are dealing with mafiosos, and the code of the streets here. This is the caviar code, might wanna get some armo(u)r, Rupert.

buncha birds