PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 4th and 1 stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly, I'm OK if we dont run snaeks, primarily because QBs are much more likely to fumble on a sneak than a RB on a run. I think that is part of the decision making. Brady did not do many sneaks until after he had gained experience either.

I thought the same thing.

My first reaction is because we're weaker at quarterback they're making an effort to protect Cassel better. That doesn't really make sense though because it's not like they'd be willing to risk Brady in a similar situation. Maybe Cassel hasn't shown enough of a prowess for it?

I honestly thought G-E was going to pick it up. Maybe they did too. Unfortunately that was one of the few downs where his ability to blast through guys wasn't enough.

Can't blast through when Billy Yates misses his block and GE gets caught for an ankle trip from behind.

Frankly, I'm OK if we dont run snaeks, primarily because QBs are much more likely to fumble on a sneak than a RB on a run. I think that is part of the decision making. Brady did not do many sneaks until after he had gained experience either.
Here, here! Though Brady did a couple "snaeks" before he settled down with Bridget, but that's a topic for another forum. I concur that Josh is probably holding Matt back a little while he gets his defensive reads sorted out better - the kid is seeing a lot of new stuff and is processing it well.

Brady 2001, Cassel 2008, are parallel OJT advanced training programs from the School of Belichick. That there has been a similar success rate to this point in the season is mildly surprising, but encouraging. I believe what encourages those of us with the patience (and willingness to watch the games instead of hiding under rocks to screech about the loss of Brady) has been those flashbacks to a 2001 Tommy. Good stuff. What should encourage folks even more is seeing Cassel's teammates go from "I think he can" to "I know he can" and start to step up their play accordingly. Cassel has had the burden of carrying more than the hopes of the fan base - the force is strong with this one.

No idea on the numbers but I'm getting the feeling BB's just not running the expected play all the time. Maybe it has something to do with Matty's experience and/or some fumble percentages,but also I'd guess we can't compare this particular season with any others because,if nothing else,lord knows it's unlike any other season.

If we want to check #'s though, maybe 01 would be a more comparable season:confused:

Here, here! Though Brady did a couple "snaeks" before he settled down with Bridget, but that's a topic for another forum. I concur that Josh is probably holding Matt back a little while he gets his defensive reads sorted out better - the kid is seeing a lot of new stuff and is processing it well.

Brady 2001, Cassel 2008, are parallel OJT advanced training programs from the School of Belichick. That there has been a similar success rate to this point in the season is mildly surprising, but encouraging. I believe what encourages those of us with the patience (and willingness to watch the games instead of hiding under rocks to screech about the loss of Brady) has been those flashbacks to a 2001 Tommy. Good stuff. What should encourage folks even more is seeing Cassel's teammates go from "I think he can" to "I know he can" and start to step up their play accordingly. Cassel has had the burden of carrying more than the hopes of the fan base - the force is strong with this one.

You homers really get to me. That didn't feel as good to say as I thought. I wonder why some get a big kick out of saying that on every post.:confused:

Anyway, On 3rd down it was a 1/2 yard to go. The moment they handed off the ball I was yelling "No!". If you don't want the QB running the keeper, a quick hand off to the RB/FB going forward should get it done - not going sideways.

You homers really get to me. That didn't feel as good to say as I thought. I wonder why some get a big kick out of saying that on every post.:confused:

Anyway, On 3rd down it was a 1/2 yard to go. The moment they handed off the ball I was yelling "No!". If you don't want the QB running the keeper, a quick hand off to the RB/FB going forward should get it done - not going sideways.
We've seen them run off tackle in short yardage before, think of Sammy's big run in Cincy last season and recall Cory toting the rock behind Klecko and Hochstein - sometimes the defense wins, just ask Billy.

...sometimes the defense wins...

I don't care about the other guys.

Those two downs won the Triple Crown of incompetance: short-sighted design, incorrect formations, and lousy execution.

Those two downs screamed for mis-direction, bootleg, or play-action.

And where the hell was Neal?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back