PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 49ers, the NFL's new juggernaut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bettors betting real money disagree with you. Atlanta is tied with New Orleans as the $th most likely NFC team to win the Super Bowl, behind SF, GB and Seattle. BTW, the Giant are bid behind Atlanta and NO in the betting, but no by much.

I'm pretty sure there are some bettors betting real money that agree with him.

who did the bettors betting real money have picked last year?

No matter how you cut it, the Niners are in great shape for the immediate future. And it is sure going to be a lot more fun for Niner draftniks this off season than Patriot ones. IF that Smith deal goes through they'll be in a sweet position with the 31st and 33rd picks, especially in this draft where supposedly there isn't a lot of difference between #'s 6 and 35.

So yeah, they were very lucky with injuries, and yeah, they will eventually have to deal with losing FA's to the cap. But while the Pats are looking like they will be strong players in FA, and to a lesser degree in the draft, the Niners are in even a better situation. But so what! If they ever met in a superbowl, the Niners would likely be favored, but the Pats have done their best superbowl work when they were underdogs.

Montana and Young have nothing to worry about with Keapernick trying to resurrect the 49ers glory years.

Sure Colin looked good and was the flavor of the winter of 2012 but teams will take notice of more film study to figure him out and he could be the Achilles heel when it's all said and done.

I think Alex smith was just coming into his own and started to show gradual improvement over his career but that injury changed it all to his future as a 49er.

The 49ers will clearly be favored to win thier division next season,but the Seahawks and Rams will be tough challenges and both of those 2 teams might also have a top 10 defense in 2013.

The sports show mediots are saying wow!!! in unison, but in reality there are lot more variables that impact a team over a long term.

The assumption is that every pick will be a hit.. which is folly at best.

Then I hear they are adding Revis.. that is a lot of egos to massage.

The HC of the SF49rs poor play calling in the final moments of the Super Bowl say hello....

Montana and Young have nothing to worry about with Keapernick trying to resurrect the 49ers glory years.

Sure Colin looked good and was the flavor of the winter of 2012 but teams will take notice of more film study to figure him out and he could be the Achilles heel when it's all said and done.

I think Alex smith was just coming into his own and started to show gradual improvement over his career but that injury changed it all to his future as a 49er.

The 49ers will clearly be favored to win thier division next season,but the Seahawks and Rams will be tough challenges and both of those 2 teams might also have a top 10 defense in 2013.
The Seahawks beat the living bejesus out of San Francisco in Seattle. They shouldn't be clear favorites to win their division. Seattle is a damn good team.

edit: people were saying the same about the giants after 2007

And Saints in 09
And the Packers in 10

Unless you have a HOF QB and HOF headcoach it's very hard to even approach what the Patriots have done. It's always the same. Their young talent will have their contracts expire and you can't pay everyone. IIRC they have a ton of big contracts coming up in the next 2-3 years.

Not to mention, like others have astutely pointed out, Justin is getting old and he has been by far their best player for years.

They have an excellent front office. They have an excellent head coach. They have a very good, deep roster filled with pro-bowl caliber players. They have one of the best defenses in the league and one of the brightest young stars at QB. They just traded away an extraneous piece to clear 8+ million in cap space and pick up another draft pick, giving them 15 picks this year, 5 in the first 90.

49ers 2013 picks
1. First round: Own pick
2. Second round: from Kansas City in Alex Smith trade
3. Second round: Own pick
4. Third round: Own pick
5. Third round: From Carolina in trade-back during 2012 draft
6. Third round: Likely compensatory selection
7. Fourth round: Own pick
8. Fifth round: Own pick
9. Fifth round: From Indianapolis in trade-back during 2012 draft
10. Sixth round: Own pick
11. Sixth round: From Miami in trade-back during 2012 draft
12. Seventh round: Own pick
13. Seventh round: From Cincinnati for Taylor Mays
14. Seventh round: Likely compensatory selection
15. Seventh round: Likely compensatory selection

They don't have a lot of room for rookies, meaning they'll likely trade some picks for future picks (a la Belichick), or to trade up to get superior players in this draft.

But there's one other thought: they need a shutdown corner. The Jets have one in Darrelle Revis. The Jets also have a lot of holes. What if the 49ers traded the 2nd rounder they got from KC, and two third rounders, and a fourth rounder, for Revis (or something along those lines)? Then they trade their second, third, and a fifth to move into the first round again, giving them two first rounders plus Revis, and still leaving them with a fifth rounder, two sixth rounders, and four seventh rounders to pick up camp filler, a better kicker, and/or trade for picks in 2014?

The best team in the NFC would add a stud CB and two first round picks, have plenty of ammo left over to fill in the holes, and even be able to move some currency forward for next year.

I mean, holy smokes they could be frighteningly good.

A lot of things to like about SF. Good defensive talent and an outstanding offensive line. But I don't see Kapernick developing into a top 5 NFL quarterback and I think that is what you need to win SB's on a consistent level in the NFL in this era.

Bettors betting real money disagree with you. Atlanta is tied with New Orleans as the $th most likely NFC team to win the Super Bowl, behind SF, GB and Seattle. BTW, the Giant are bid behind Atlanta and NO in the betting, but no by much.

For the record, I have a very specific reason for my argument, which I believe I've posted in other threads. :)

Several things:

• Teams may catch up to Kaepernick and the Pistol Offense much like teams caught up Cam Newton last year. He might not be a fluke, but he could be less effective once teams get a book on him. He benefitted in the playoffs for not having a lot of game film on him.
  • They have to worry about Justin Smith. He is getting up there in age and he is coming off a big injury. We saw last year that when Smith was injured, Aldon Smith's sacks dried up. Justin Smith rather than JJ Watt may have been the true MVP candidate on the defensive side of the ball.
  • Draft picks are a crap shoot no matter where you draft and how many picks they have. Even the best drafting organizations can have a drought of draft hits.
  • Acquiring Revis may not pan out. History has shown that acquiring big name free agents or making trades for big name players do not always work out for the team acquiring them.

There is a good chance that the 49ers will be a powerhouse for the years to come, but there are no guarantees.

The big thing is whether Kaepernick is for real or not. You won't be a juggernaut without an elite QB, and the book is still out on that.

I think teams will figure out the pistol, the offense will slow down, and they'll be just another team in the mix.

It's not like they blew teams out of the water this year, they were a blown DPI call from losing in the NFCCG two years in a row, they'll be challenged in their own division by Seattle next year.

I think this notion is insane especially for a franchise like the 49ers which was actually a juggernaut at one point in time.

This 49ers team looks to be really good and they seem to have set themselves up to carry it on for a few seasons but IMO it is insulting to the 9ers of 80s and 90s to call these guys a juggernaut already.

Even if they win the SB next year I think 3 seasons does not make a juggernaut. Losing the NFC championship and losing the SB and accuiring draft picks does not make a juggernaut. Win a superbowl and stay this close to a SB for a few more years and I will call you a juggernaut or just win the next two and you can fall of the face of the earth and I will call you a juggernaut but right now you have a long way to go.

Win a superbowl and stay this close to a SB for a few more years and I will call you a juggernaut or just win the next two and you can fall of the face of the earth and I will call you a juggernaut but right now you have a long way to go.

Seriously.

Let's remember that 7 teams had as many wins or more as the Niners last year.

They were +124 in net points last year, but 2/3rds of that came against two games vs. the Bills and Jets in which they outscored the opposition 79-3.

Once this team starts rolling over teams week in and week out, call them a juggernaut.

Looks like Niners might not be interested in Revis:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
ESPN's Chris Mortensen said a source told him the 49ers are not inclined to pursue Darrelle Revis at this time. So there's that.

I dunno. They're good, but they're not THAT good.

They've got a hole a safety, good but not elite corners, an overrated pass rusher in Aldon Smith (when he's not playing next to Justin), mediocre receivers, and an aging RB. Replacing Justin Smith is going to be difficult as he's been very underrated for a while now, and the rest of the DL is nothing special. They've got the potential no doubt to be the best in the league, but I wouldn't go so far to call them a juggernaut.

Just ask yourself this and you will have the answer to the question are The 49ers the new juggernaut?

Were the Eagles a juggernaut under Andy Reid?

Answer = hell no

Conclusion the 9ers still have a long way to go to be a juggernaut. Are they one of a handful of teams considered a favorite for the SB? Absolutely but that is not close to juggernaut. Do they have the draft picks to stay near the top for a few more years? Absolutely but they aren't even on top yet just close.

IF we make it back to the SB in the next COUPLE of years....this is who I would expect the opponent to be. They are LOADED....they have TONS of draft picks....and they have a phenomenal coaching staff and front office. In short, they are US...but hopefully they use their draft picks a little better. San Fran will def be the team to beat out there....

They have an excellent front office. They have an excellent head coach. They have a very good, deep roster filled with pro-bowl caliber players. They have one of the best defenses in the league and one of the brightest young stars at QB. They just traded away an extraneous piece to clear 8+ million in cap space and pick up another draft pick, giving them 15 picks this year, 5 in the first 90.

49ers 2013 picks
1. First round: Own pick
2. Second round: from Kansas City in Alex Smith trade
3. Second round: Own pick
4. Third round: Own pick
5. Third round: From Carolina in trade-back during 2012 draft
6. Third round: Likely compensatory selection
7. Fourth round: Own pick
8. Fifth round: Own pick
9. Fifth round: From Indianapolis in trade-back during 2012 draft
10. Sixth round: Own pick
11. Sixth round: From Miami in trade-back during 2012 draft
12. Seventh round: Own pick
13. Seventh round: From Cincinnati for Taylor Mays
14. Seventh round: Likely compensatory selection
15. Seventh round: Likely compensatory selection

They don't have a lot of room for rookies, meaning they'll likely trade some picks for future picks (a la Belichick), or to trade up to get superior players in this draft.

But there's one other thought: they need a shutdown corner. The Jets have one in Darrelle Revis. The Jets also have a lot of holes. What if the 49ers traded the 2nd rounder they got from KC, and two third rounders, and a fourth rounder, for Revis (or something along those lines)? Then they trade their second, third, and a fifth to move into the first round again, giving them two first rounders plus Revis, and still leaving them with a fifth rounder, two sixth rounders, and four seventh rounders to pick up camp filler, a better kicker, and/or trade for picks in 2014?

The best team in the NFC would add a stud CB and two first round picks, have plenty of ammo left over to fill in the holes, and even be able to move some currency forward for next year.

I mean, holy smokes they could be frighteningly good.

You all sound real silly saying San Fran isnt a juggernaut. They ARE the powerhouse in the NFL right now. Really good at running the ball, another year of Kap, getting Manningham back to go with Crabtree. Their front 7? stop its easily the best in football. Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman are the 2 best ILB in the NFL today. Aldon Smith had 20 sacks last season, they are here to stay for a long time.

You all sound real silly saying San Fran isnt a juggernaut. They ARE the powerhouse in the NFL right now. Really good at running the ball, another year of Kap, getting Manningham back to go with Crabtree. Their front 7? stop its easily the best in football. Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman are the 2 best ILB in the NFL today. Aldon Smith had 20 sacks last season, they are here to stay for a long time.

They're A powerhouse. They're not THE powerhouse.

In the last two seasons, the Patriots have been to the SB and the AFCCG, and have won 25 regular season games. In the last two seasons, the 49ers have been to the NFCCG and the SB, and have won 24 regular season games. Also, in the last two seasons, the Ravens have been to the AFCCG and won the SB, and have won 22 regular season games.

Saying that the 49ers are the powerhouse in the NFL runs counter to the data. The data tells us that there are at least 3 teams at the top, not just the 49ers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes