PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 300lb "What If" in the corner of the room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The 300lb Draft Blunder in the corner of the room

Oh yeah ? Well I had Lawson and Greg Jennings in my mock so there :D

Ooh, yeah, I remember coveting Jennings!!!

But that's the point. No team picks the exact 7 players who turn out 5 years later to have been the best possible picks at those points in the draft. If you choose a highly-regarded player who should improve your team--without passing up somebody considered obviously more valuable--you can't be charged with a "blunder." A blunder would be, say, taking Kyle Brady when your overwhelming need is on the DL and the whole room is chanting "Sapp! Sapp!" Or drafting a kick returner in the top 10. That sort of thing. :)

This is exactly the point.

I like Maroney, but he doesn't seem to be able to handle the impact of the pro game. It shows up in the timid way he approaches the line and it shows up on his medical chart.

We'll have a different back starting here next year.

Too bad Sammy Morris got injured. He could have been awesome in this offense.

This is complete garbage. LM will be the starting back next year, approaching the line "timidly" for close to 5 YPC.

What a joke. Maybe Green will take "Big Pu-Sey's" starting job, too.

FACT: Kevin Faulk is the back used in the spread offense.
FACT: Josh REALLY likes the spread offense.
FACT: We use the spread offense a lot.
FACT: Josh REALLY likes the spread offense.
FACT: "Kool Aide" rushes for 4.7 yards a carry. He's rushed for 5 yards a carry in every game except at Jets and at Indy.
FACT: JOSH REALLY LIKES THE SPREAD OFFENSE.

I stopped reading when I saw Maroney referred to as a "draft blunder." :rolleyes:

Wow, are we spoiled. Maroney's been very good, but I guess everyone has to be an All-Pro right out of the gate.

I don't understand this thread. They are both averaging 4.7 yards per carry. Addai has more TDs because the Colts have had trouble passing the ball for TDs in the red zone.

By contrast, the Patriots have had no problem passing the ball for TDs in the red zone so Maroney is a 4th or 5th option.

Sure, Addai looks more durable than Maroney at this point in their careers, but it's still early. If the Pats gave Maroney the ball more often, I suspect their numbers would be very comparable (aside from TDs).

I forget.
Is Morris still the hard, every-down, feature back that can carry the load, and Maroney is made of glass?:bricks:

You gotta admit, Morris did seem to run harder and make more impact when he was in there. The guy was always moving forward, breaking tackles, not going down until the 3rd, 4th, 5th hit.

Maroney seems to go down on the 1st touch.

Which is not to say he can't improve, but right now, today, I would take Addai over Maroney. Heck, I would take Morris over Maroney.

Addai is better = fact

That's all I was trying to say. Guess everyone is just too drunk off of the Kool-aid to admit it.

Obviously hindsite is 20/20, and I probably shouldnt say "Blunder" (changed it)... but there is no doubt (in my mind) that Addai is FAR better right now.

Last edited:

Is it now safe to say that we took the wrong RB last year? Does anyone wonder why BB and co. had Maroney rated higher than Joe Addai?

BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE DID. This thread is hopelessly, ridiculously, LUDICROUSLY premature. You people need to grow up and be a bit more patient. What a bunch of little ****ies.

I'm not saying that Maroney was a Draft bust. For his Draft spot, he's been very average. I ask you this: When Maroney was hurt, why was Morris pile-driving teams with 100+ yard games? They are both running out of the same offense, right?

Tahta's all I was trying to say. Guess everyone is just too drunk off of the Kool-aid to admit it.

Obviously hindsite is 20/20, and I probably shouldnt say "Blunder"... but there is no doubt (in my mind) that Addai is FAR better right now.

Again, the Addai > Maroney argument is not fact, it's opinion. It is, in fact, an opinion I disagree with. I continue to be amazed at how many people here ignore the obvious, such as the success of running backs in Indianapolis vs. their success elsewhere.

BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE DID. This thread is hopelessly, ridiculously, LUDICROUSLY premature. You people need to grow up and be a bit more patient. What a bunch of little ****ies.

It's been a year and a half...when does it stop being premature?

Heck, I would take Morris over Maroney.

Which makes us all eternally grateful that you are in no position of influence with this organization.

Anyone saying they would take Sammy Morris over Laurence Maroney just needs to go away. You're an idiot.

Please post the worst starting running back for the Colts (played in at least 6 games) and what year that was. As much as Adai is a talented running back, he fits into a system.
Its tough to be undefeated as there is little to complain about. Here are a few examples: training camp-cut Moss, trade Moss, trade Asante, Hobbs is too short; season starts; trade Seymour, Faulk = a JAG, cut Hanson, Merriweather is a bust, Jackson is a bust, cut/trade Cassell. Currently, we have a 300 lb draft blunder in the corner of the room. Thanks for playing your consolation prize is at the door.

You gotta admit, Morris did seem to run harder and make more impact when he was in there. The guy was always moving forward, breaking tackles, not going down until the 3rd, 4th, 5th hit.

Maroney seems to go down on the 1st touch.

Which is not to say he can't improve, but right now, today, I would take Addai over Maroney. Heck, I would take Morris over Maroney.

I watched him play at Indy.
He very frequently got hit at the line, and then ran for 5 more yards.
I know the only running play any one else saw was the 3 and short where Evans missed a block on Sanders and tackled Lomo for a loss, but there were other running plays beside that one.
Addai got hit for losses on sunday to.

Is it now safe to say that we took the wrong RB last year? Does anyone wonder why BB and co. had Maroney rated higher than Joe Addai?

Imagine how much MORE ridiculous this offense would be right now with Addai in our backfield? :mad:

Don’t get me wrong... LM has shown some flashes, but if im being honest with myself, I have to admit that Addai looks to be the MUCH better back.

I know the YPC are similar and LM has missed allot of time with injuries, but im just going by what my eyes tell me.

Thoughts??
Because Addai was considered at the bottom of the list of top running backs that year. His flaw being he had great straight line speed but wasn't elusive enough. Maroney was considered second best RB. in the draft.

Last edited:

I watched him play at Indy.
He very frequently got hit at the line, and then ran for 5 more yards.
I know the only running play any one else saw was the 3 and short where Evans missed a block on Sanders and tackled Lomo for a loss, but there were other running plays beside that one.
Addai got hit for losses on sunday to.

But I think the poster's point was right now, today, who would you rather have, Maroney or Addai?

You can really say Maroney? Right now? Today?

Not considering potential or future, just next Sunday vs. Buffalo.

Maroney? Really?

But I think the poster's point was right now, today, who would you rather have, Maroney or Addai?

You can really say Maroney? Right now? Today?

Not considering potential or future, just next Sunday vs. Buffalo.

Maroney? Really?

Absolutely.

Which makes us all eternally grateful that you are in no position of influence with this organization.

Yes, thank God for that!

But I do have influence over my bowels and at my age, that's a good thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back